Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

800 for a new bumper for a micra, Have i been rode??

Options
  • 19-11-2007 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Had a tip with a 07 nissan micra last July. Got a letter in the post TODAY about it. The micra was a rental car. The one who was driving it jammed on when the lights went orange at traffic lights. I tipped the back of her. Bullin!! Called the Gardai and they arrived and took the details. I reckon i'm fooked anyway.

700 for the bumper including labor. Got the bill on the rental company's' headed paper. 80 for loss of earnings on the car at 40 a day and 60 depreciation.

Grand total of 820 for a tip at 5 MPH!!!!

Are they pulling a fast one??

Do I have a leg to stand on to challenge this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

you hit them from behind, so legally, no standing, but if you think you're being ripped off then you can look it up. Only thing though, they probably replaced the whole bumper, and the 07 micras hav big bumpers, so they might be expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

that sounds just right for a bumper. I presume it was damaged and needed replacement after you ran into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm not well up on Micra repair prices, but given that it was 2007 rental car you hit, I don't think you've been ridden. Except maybe for the depreciation - it's only a new bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

Yeah i was thinkin that i'm fooked. Can i ask them for the bill off the garage on their headed paper. Would the rental company be pulling a fast one?? Or would they be bothered?

the depreciation is deducted from the supplying dealers buyback figure AFAIK

• Advertisement

I'll stab a guess that you hit an Enterprise car. They'll have no problem giving you any relevant back-up documentation.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the depreciation is deducted from the supplying dealers buyback figure AFAIK
    I'd say your right, colm - if it wasn't repaired right then it'll be a turnback - not that that concerns the OP.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its a full rear bumper so its around €450. Then about €250-€300 for spraying!! So its right on the price!

Dam, i was hoping they were. My arse still feels sore!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You are legally entitled to get your own quote but I would advise you to go to a main nissan dealer to price it and you might get it cheaper!

• Advertisement

jonny24ie wrote: »
    You are legally entitled to get your own quote but I would advise you to go to a main nissan dealer to price it and you might get it cheaper!

its done and dusted. They didn't give me a call about it. just landed the bill with me

It was repaired within 2 days of the crash happening, it's a bit late now.

Well ring a Nissan dealer and get a price of a new rear bumper spray painted and fitted and see what price they give!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

hamnegg wrote: »
    Dam, i was hoping they were. My arse still feels sore!!!

sounds like you got off pretty lightly. there's no excuse for rear-ending somebody, just be glad there isn't a claim for injury or distress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Also, some bumpers come painted from the factory, in which case it's cheaper to replace than to repair. I bought such a bumper a few years ago for about 250 euro. Phone a Nissan garage and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

sounds like you got off pretty lightly. there's no excuse for rear-ending somebody, just be glad there isn't a claim for injury or distress.

Very helpful post. :rolleyes: Why don't you high horse bandits spend your free time talking to others on similar high horses, comparing miles to the bag of oats, storage issues for the high horses etc.....

Seriously though, the OP never said he had a problem paying for the damage, but a tip at 5mph resulting in a repair bill of this size is a kick in the teeth. Car rental firms WILL try and screw every penny out of any damage unfortunately. get your own quote, new car parts are expensive however and it looks like the OP may have to pay the full amount.

Further to astraboy's post it does seriously gall me that bumper repairs in this country are so dear. In the US the law states that a bumper must be able to survive a low speed impact (I think 5mph) without requiring any repair. And I doubt Nissan are using different material in bumpers in the US to what they are here. But... like everything else here, it's a case of get your wallet out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

JHMEG wrote: »
    Further to astraboy's post it does seriously gall me that bumper repairs in this country are so dear. In the US the law states that a bumper must be able to survive a low speed impact (I think 5mph) without requiring any repair. And I doubt Nissan are using different material in bumpers in the US to what they are here. But... like everything else here, it's a case of get your wallet out.

a lot of the time it woud be the same situation here, only cosmetic damage to the bumper and wouldnt effect the car whatsoever, but how would you feel about having a damaged bumper after someone hit you through no fault of your own, It has happened to me and even though the damage wasnt that bad the bloke that did it payed for the repair as it was his fault so tough sh*t.,
    I cant understand why people moan about the price of repairs to peoples cars in this situation, they could very easily have claimed you for injuries etc so i wouldnt be too bothered with the 800 quid bill you got, and even in normal circumstances thats not really an excessive price for the work done.,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Exactly, just consider yourself lucky that you're not facing a 20K claim for Whiplash.

Cough up and read up on your SSD's.

vtec wrote: »
    but how would you feel about having a damaged bumper after someone hit you through no fault of your own,
    Well as it turns out the reason I bought the bumper was because someone else skidded into the back of my car and damaged it. Fortunately only the paint was damaged as it was fairly low speed. All I wanted was my car returned to its former glory, and armed with the knowledge that the factory paints it better (and cheaper) than any body shop I opted to buy a new one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement