Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFS ProStreet..... no, just no.

Options
  • 19-11-2007 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Well I got to try out need for speed prostreet today.

I don't know where to begin describing just exactly how bad this game is, awful! just awful!

Menus are incredibly bad, cluttered and very hard to navigate, you can't just "quick race" you have to navigate billion menus till finally you get to race, but before you get to race you have to watch that god awful presentation video of the race or listen to that jerk announcer, you end up with a feeling "can I race now ffs?" finally the countdown begins and you think "finally, now I'm gonna enjoy it", NO! cause the cars feel like the God himself came down to see the race and changed the laws of physics to make your car feel heavier, slower and impossible to control.

This game tries to be like GT or Forza, but fails miserably.

Environments are very bland and not fun at all, there is absolutely no sense of speed and races are just plain boring.

As for the graphics, many people have said Prostreet has awesome graphics well...

ProStreet
    http://img.photoamp.com/pa/07/11/19/PmbHy9.jpg

Most Wanted
    http://img.photoamp.com/pa/07/11/19/c2J4LrAh.jpg

If you like looking at the trees yea, Prostreet looks better but the rest IMHO looks better in MW.

Don't get this game, you'll be wasting money, if you want to spend it just buy Most Wanted, if you don't already have it. If you have it just re-buy it, it's still going to be a better investment than Prostreet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Anyone playing this on the PC? I'm getting really low FPS. I thought it was that i'd thrown the graphics up too high so i threw them all to low and still no difference. I remember there being bugs like this in MW *sigh* going to have to wait for a patch so :(

Also, that MW screenshot is crap. Is that on the PC? MW looks a lot better than that.

Pro Street, graphically, is weaker than DiRT, gameplay wise, its the worst in the series so far. I'm giving it a chance, but the handling is pretty bad using a controller, also agree that there are way too many menus. They have also made the fun side task of car customizations into a really complicated procedure. It now feels more like a car customization game with racing as the secondary objective.

Also where is the storyline? I'm already a few levels into it and all i've been doing is racing? What I loved about the NFS series was the back story in between races.

They have truly ruined the series with this game (shocking as I didn't think they could do much worse than Carbon) at least its all up hill from here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The first Need For Speed Undergroud was really good.

Underground 2 was crap, then Most Wanted was ok, Carbon was terrible.

To be honest, i dont know why ive played them all but i have. At least no expects anything from these games anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

L31mr0d, yep, both games were on pc, I didn't get any low fps on prostreet. Neither games had the graphics turned up, so yes, MW will look better if set on max.

Mikey, the first need for speed was by the best one, didn't play Underground, I loved Hot Pursuit 2 and I like Most Wanted, Carbon, didn't play it much, I'll have to give it one more go, Prostreet for me is over though... garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The demo was enough for me. A load of rubbish. Hopefully Burnout will be decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

ahh gone are the good ole days of need for speed 2 where you could drive supercars like the mc laren f1 and jag 220xj ,miss those games! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Lotus Turbo Challenge ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Anyone playing this on the PC? I'm getting really low FPS. I thought it was that i'd thrown the graphics up too high so i threw them all to low and still no difference. I remember there being bugs like this in MW *sigh* going to have to wait for a patch so :(

Yup, I get low frame rates at the start of the races a lot, it certainly seems like a bug because all the cars are just chugging along right before the rolling start, my machine plays the races just fine otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Christmas number 1, guarenteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

The Underground games were good fun, Most Wanted was crap and Carbon and this were bad enough that the demo alone was enough to make me want to gauge my eyes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Most Wanted was great! Purely for the police chases. Underground games were meh - have you ever driven anywhere where all the roads looked like they have a permanent baby oil coating? I haven't bothered playing carbon and it looks like I won't be bothering with this either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

It's running fine for me and easy to control ..then again I am using the G25 Wheel :)
    The menus are a nightmare to navigate alright. It makes no logical sense the way they've designed it.

It's running fine for me and easy to control ..then again I am using the G25 Wheel :)
    The menus are a nightmare to navigate alright. It makes no logical sense the way they've designed it.

What are your graphics and resolution set at and what OS are you running it on?

looks like i'm not the only one. A few people over at XS are complaining about lag issues also in pro street, and they have systems comparable to mine. Its definitely an engine issue as Crysis runs likes butter on my rig yet Pro Street is very laggy, even at 800x600 with everything turned off.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=166014

I remember MW suffered from this until the 1.3 patch. Still, even at its worst it wasn't as bad as pro street.

Supposedly it must have something to do with the car rendering as the stuttering seems to dissappear once you change from chase cam to hood cam.

Another quality EA product so :mad: :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

An EA game with street in the title. It's bound to be good!

Ok have to admit, lagging issues aside, i'm starting to like Prostreet. The handling, while not as nice as previous NFS games is bareable due to the excellent progression of the game which means a learning curve is non existant.

I think the demo left such a bad taste in my mouth that I was judging this game badly from the get go. But the 2 maps in the demo are from around the middle of the game, by the time you will get there you will be more than used to the handling of the cars.

There is a great learning aid (that can be turned off) that they've included to help you get used to each cars different handling features, which is a green line of arrows that appear on the road before a turn, to show you how to get into the racing line. These arrows will change from green to orange to red depending on how fast you are approaching the corner, if you are approaching at a speed which causes the arrows to be red you aren't going to be able to successfully make the corner, so you reduce your speed until the drop back down to green. After a few races of using these i've turned them off as i'm pretty confident now as to how my car handles.

They've also got a nifty feature in the car modification garage which allows you to see how well your car performs in a wind tunnel, and you can also test the car out on a track before taking it out to race.

All in all, i'm warming up to it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i loved underground 2.. and I actually liked carbon alot too, the menus were pretty terrible.. and the car customisation was also dire enouge, the story was completely pointless.. but the racing was... well, it was bollock hard for the first quarter.. but then I suppose I did just breeze through it after that

hrm.. maybe not the best game, but I enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Need for speed deid as a series when they went the tuning route.
    Before that it was exotic cars on open roads, or circuits based on open roads, the greatest being the Need For Speed on the 3DO and Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 on the PS2, the original being a new game but based on the dev teams previous opus Test Drive on the Amiga.
    Test Drive Unlimited on the 360 went some way to return to the open road driving experience of the original Need For Speed, I mean honestly, how many neon lit suped up Skylines do we need to see? Juiced and Midnight Club had it all covered already, thank gods the series has changed direction, at least for the time being, lets hope Prostreet gets better with play.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Its balls. the end

conzymaher wrote: »
    Its balls. the end

have you completed it? I've played quite a few racing games and its certainly not the worst out there. If they can release a patch to stop the lagging on corners then it will be a pretty solid game. I'd ask anyone who doesn't like it to at least play through at least the first 4 or 5 race days and tell me you still hate it.

The demo was really crap, but this game has so many other facets that it takes a while to get used to them. Unlike previous NFS games you can't just throw any body kit or spoilers on your car to make it look better, as they each affect the downforce and top speed of your car.

Currently trying to get the best setup in the wind tunnel for one of my cars as I need to shave at least a second off its 1/4 mile time to compete.

i have it.. and after trying the first race a ferw times... very meh

it's so slow... I liked speed

it's called need for speed for a reason

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

Most Wanted was so much fun the cop chases were epic.

Didn't really like Carbon at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

This game is awful. Worst NFS ever!

how old is most wanted? will it look as snazzy as carbon?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think ye are being a bit harsh, i think thats its a great game, and i hated carbon. There aren't many good racing games on the PS3 at the moment (3 i think) and i think that ProStreet is a nice cross between Gran Turismo and the original Underground. It may not be as exciting as Most Wanted, but i think that they're trying to get the right image across that people should keep racing to tracks and not the street (the annoying announcer keeps saying so!).

I've only about 8 hours played and i just got my Evo X, so i'm happy out with it at the moment! There's only a certain ammount you can do with a racing game, and the drag is brilliant, love them, so i think if people were less critical and just played the game and not expect it to be the next best thing that they would enjoy it a bit more.

Balls about the lag on the PC though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Did you just compare NFS:Prostreet to GRAN TURISMO ?

I didn't compare, i said it's like a cross between gran turismo and underground, a street racing game with realsim like grand turismo, not the same as.

I didn't compare, i said it's like a cross between gran turismo and underground, a street racing game with realsim like grand turismo, not the same as.

agreed... personally this is the one game I have at the moment that i'm playing the most of, haven't even started CoD4 because of it :eek: and I have it installed waiting for me.

Just unlocked the speed challenges (not really unlocked I guess, I finally just had enough money to buy a car to race in them) and they are possibly the most fun you can have with your pants on. The break neck speeds you get up to. They have also really created a real sense of speed. With the car starting to shake at top speed and the steering getting super sensitive the faster you go.

I'm starting to see the benefits of having this game track based, as cities aren't really built for racing. Some of the tracks are really good and I love that there is a plethora of different race modes, from the varying different grip modes, to drag racing and drifting.

The drifting is GREATLY improved over Carbon, the car actually feels like it is drifting correctly now.

Also the commentator is irritating, but he is also helpful, like he let me know I shouldn't be using the M3 for drag racing by saying something like "I don't really know what Cooper was thinking, there's no way hes going to be able to get enough horses to drag with that BMW"

L31mr0d is completely right, i just got up to the speed challenges and got my evo X (Have to start saving for the real one!) and this game has gone up shelf loads in my book. I was killing all in the drag races with my eclipse, and now, all of a sudden, i'm coming 4th!

This is a great game, and each car actually feels different! I HATE the pontiac GTO, useless car! And youve to do a few races with it! But, i'm still kicking arse with my Corolla on drifting (which is realistic now!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Whats it like on the ps2?

• Advertisement

Here are some of my screenshots from the game

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Advertisement