Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vin number

Options
  • 19-11-2007 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Does anyone know where you find the VIN number on a car? and is this the same as the chassis number

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it's the same thing, the VIN is the vehicle identification number, it can be found on the windscreen, under the bonnet, behind a flap under the seat, or in a door opening. depends on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It'll also be on the Vehicle Licensing Certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It strikes me as stupid to have the vin number on the windcreen. It allows a determined thief to go to a dealer and say I need a replacement key for my car - here's my vin number and my (insert some false documentary evidence of ownership).

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

a garage usually needs to code in the key to make it work so they'll need the car. they're unlikely to just hand a key over the counter. That's the case where I work anyway.

Advertisement