Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinion on question on theory...

Options
  • 19-11-2007 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey there, my first post on boards.ie, but I just thought there's no one better to voice my feelings bout this to ye, today I took my theory test, and...sadly failed, with a horrible score of 34. Which just infuriated me, but I didn't do enough study on the days approaching the test and just screwed up where I shouldn't have, however, this evening, I stuck in the cd, and went through the preparation part, and came across one of the questions I did in the test, which i was 110% sure I got right, to my shock I was wrong.

The question, is this -
    http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5251/11192007201612yd3.jpg
    (ignore the score thingy at the top :P..was just messin looking for the actual question). I picked "not overtake here" for the reasons being, it looks like he's approaching a hill, and can't see ahead which would mean, I would possibly get absolutely trashed by an oncoming car that I can't see, although the answer says use the broken lines. Now I know the rule that applies with the continuous lines and broken ones, I thought about it deeply throughout the test..but the fact that under no circumstances should you overtake when approaching a hill, I picked D.
    Another possibility which my dad suggested although, it isn't a very strong one, is that the top broken line is a double continuous which he says you can't cross at all, which I find sorta a week argument as they're all equal length broken pieces, anyways I'm getting a bit in depth..and it maybe nitpicking, but it was the difference between me passing and failing, and the fact I wanted to apply for provisional round shortly after my approaching 17th birthday which looks like it won't be possible til after Christmas now..., and I just want to know what you think? I can't possibly appeal it because, they'll just say I'm wrong as the answer is "pass broken line" on the cd, and in the actual test. It's just the way the question is presented..I dunno.

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

It doesn't look like a hill so much as a crap illustration. The theory test isn't too abstract- they've gone out of their way to include an unbroken line and a completely clear road. I think it's fairly obvious the answer is A.

At least you'll know for next time! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

I would say A cause you can cross a line if the broken part is on your side of the road.
    If it was dangerous to cross (IE if there was a big humped back bridge or dangerous dip ahead ahead) then there would be just one continuous white line. (Although this is Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 darraghc

Gauge wrote: »
    It doesn't look like a hill so much as a crap illustration. The theory test isn't too abstract- they've gone out of their way to include an unbroken line and a completely clear road. I think it's fairly obvious the answer is A.

At least you'll know for next time! :)

thanks, I just assumed with the way they put in the green bush thing that they were emphasizing you couldn't see further ahead, just frustrating when I knew with my heart an soul that you could cross the broken line if its on your side of the road,

and cazzy- I completely understand that, and I know why one would pick that answer, it's just the illustration threw me off into thinking that it was a friggin hill!! Surely they could put more effort into those things!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Looks like a crap attempt at 'perspective' rather than a hill to me, although pretty easy to see how you could mistake it for being a hill.

Advertisement