Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Kindle

Options
  • 20-11-2007 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hey,
    Does anyone know if there's any alternatives to the kindle in Ireland and if so, are they any good? worth the price? I love reading books but go away for long periods of time and would be great to have a couple of books with me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I'd go daft using one of them, just not my cup of tea!

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Conchúr

don't know. I want to try one out before i decide. Could be very handy like... But christ are they expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Conchúr wrote: »
    don't know. I want to try one out before i decide. Could be very handy like... But christ are they expensive

While it sold out in under 6 hours in the US, one would need to factor in the ongoing subscription cost though. It could work out very expensive reading indeed.

Have a read of this:
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/?p=689

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

well in all fairness, a monthly subscription to the Irish times for less then $15 would suit me down to the ground. I wonder does the notion that they have a few international papers mean that we could be seeing an Irish version after christmas? Want to have a look at the alternatives though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭peterl

sony offer the "sony reader"
    dont know too much about it yet.

• Advertisement

bedlam wrote: »
    The iRex iLiad and the Bookeen Cybook. The iRex has an 8" screen compared to the Cybook and Kindle's 6" screen. I am not aware of any shops in Ireland that sell e-ink devices, but both can be bought on line.

Owning both the iLiad and a Sony Librie I am more inclined to go with the larger screen as it gives you a little more scope when reading documents in PDF format which get resized (shrunk) to fit the display.

The iLiad is open source and as a result there are a number of people working on porting applications to it, to improve its functionality.

I've heard of the Sony one but allot of people say not to go for that one as it only handles Sony's proprietary format which is meant to lock you down somewhat, is that true?

The iliad seams quite big though, i want something that's about the size of a paperback novel... It needs to be able to fit in my pocket like any other book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I'm purchasing the Sony PRS-505 ebook reader. I'm sure looking forward to having it. It's a pity that the Kindle can't be used outside the United States because of Whispernet etc.

well give us a shout as to how it is. very tempting myself to get one for christmas.

Conchúr wrote: »
    well give us a shout as to how it is. very tempting myself to get one for christmas.

Sure. I think the PRS 505 is better value than the iRex iLiad and the Cybook and I do not want the Wi-Fi capability available in the iLiad. The PRS-505 Reader supports most formats as well. Although you'll have to get somebody to buy it for you and bring it over as you can't order it online in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

what is the wireless technology that the kindle uses .. no sim.. no monthly payments?

zod wrote: »
    what is the wireless technology that the kindle uses .. no sim.. no monthly payments?

That's true but only within the United States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doodler

I can recommend the Sony Reader. My wife has one since Christmas last year. It's got the look and feel of a nice book. It comes as standard with a nice leather cover. It does read non-proprietary formats like pdf, but she hasn't used those much. The Connect website has a good selection.

Advertisement