Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with XBox 360 HD VGA Cable..

• 20-11-2007 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭

So i bought one of these off someone here on Boards but can't seem to get it working.

First and foremost, my TV is a 1080p HD LCD TV.

My standard AV cable up as far as 1080i works on my TV, but as soon as i plug in the AV connection on the HD cable and the VGA connection into the TV. Absolutely nothing!

I'm not plugging in the red and white RCA cables as i don't have sound inputs on my TV but have an optical cable plugged into it going in my surround sound system so no need for that.

At first, i thought i had the Display set up to high but if it displayed 1080i on my standard VGA.. surely this should work.

Will add a few photos in a moment with how i have everything hooked up.

EDIT: Fairly basic (and crappy) photos i know but just to clarify connections..

19112007wy2.jpg

19112007001ts4.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,913 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I think you can only get 720p with a vga cable. Might be wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Nah, you can get 1080p as far as i know.

EDIT: Yep..
    # Experience High Definition movies and games at up to 1080p resolution
    # Also supports 480p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p

Oh.. and by the way - when i said standard VGA cable, i mean component cables over a VGA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

not sure if this is any use, but component over vga doesnt work on my HD TV, I get "out of range" messages on component but works fine on vga - this is 720p btw

Cheers for that voxpop but component over VGA seems to work fine on mine.

As i said, it works fine up as far up as far as 1080i with the standard (component over VGA) but can't get any signal at all with HD VGA cable, but i'm getting no messages - it just stays black! :(

Seems we have opposite problems so. :D

Never mind... solved it. It was all my TV's fault. After a bit of research, i found out that the VGA connection on my TV is a shared component / VGA connection so i had to set the input to be VGA (it was component) so it shows up fine.

But quick question for anyone who has the cable:

You know in Console Settings --> Display. Are these three available settings correct?

Screen Resolution (Enabled - 1360 X 768 appears to work, 1920 X 1080 doesn't)
    Screen Format: (Disabled but assume it's set to Widescreen, as indicated)
    Reference Levels: Expanded (what should i set this to? It seems to support 'Expanded' - is this recommended?)

I just thought it was odd that it didn't have any option to change to 1080i or 1080p in here.

• Advertisement

Sorry tman.. was this meant before or after my reply above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Don't mind me, brain is a bit fried after playing mario galaxy for the past 8 hours:p
    I misread the first post and gave a bit of useless advice, so just deleted my post

No worries mate.

Any recommendations or confirmations of what i asked in bold above would be appreciated.

That shared VGA / component connection will kill me.. my external media drive uses component and my XBOX uses VGA, so i'll have to switch input type every time i go between. Arse! :(

PS - 2 lovely HDMI ports on the TV and nothing to use them with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

basquille wrote: »
    Screen Resolution (Enabled - 1360 X 768 appears to work, 1920 X 1080 doesn't)
    Screen Format: (Disabled but assume it's set to Widescreen, as indicated)
    Reference Levels: Expanded (what should i set this to? It seems to support 'Expanded' - is this recommended?)

I just thought it was odd that it didn't have any option to change to 1080i or 1080p in here.[/b]

Bear in mind I'm using a 19" lcd monitor that isn't widescreen.

1920 x 1080, tried it and it displays it but obviously doesn't fit the screen because the native res is 1280 x 1024.

Does it refuse to display 1920 x 1080 for you?

Screen Format is set to Normal because it's not a widescreen.

Reference Levels is Standard. I dunno what it actually does so can't help.

I know this probably doesn't help you much because I'm not using a tv, but it can't hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

My pc monitor only goes up to 1280x1024, so I'm not too sure about that.
    I'll plug it into my TV tomorrow and will check for you if nobody else has answered that already...

• Advertisement

Much appreciated Makaveli for letting me know your own choices.
    Makaveli wrote: »
    1920 x 1080, tried it and it displays it but obviously doesn't fit the screen because the native res is 1280 x 1024.

Does it refuse to display 1920 x 1080 for you?
    My TV refuses it.. saying "Out of Range". Odd as my TV (Sharp Aquos LC37XD1E) has a display resolution of exactly that.
    Screen Format is set to Normal because it's not a widescreen.
    Mine is set to Widescreen and can't change it which makes sense too alright.
    Reference Levels is Standard. I dunno what it actually does so can't help.
    Nor me... but i saw that it affects the way your DVD and Games are displayed. But if it supports Extended, i'm guessing it's a wise choice but could be wrong. Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,913 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

basquille wrote: »
    Much appreciated Makaveli for letting me know your own choices.

My TV refuses it.. saying "Out of Range". Odd as my TV (Sharp Aquos LC37XD1E) has a display resolution of exactly that.

Mine is set to Widescreen and can't change it which makes sense too alright.

Nor me... but i saw that it affects the way your DVD and Games are displayed. But if it supports Extended, i'm guessing it's a wise choice but could be wrong. Anyone?

i'm using vga, it doesn't actually let you choose 720p, 1080i etc. only the screen resolution. And the reference levels are up to personal preference really, I find "expanded" makes the blacks blacker, if you know what I mean, makes it look less faded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I could be wrong here, but I believe the reason why it doesn't give you the option to pick between 1080i or 1080p is that these are TV formats.
    1920 x 1080 is the VGA equivalent, and all VGA signals are non-interlaced, so thats why no choice between i and p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

AFAIK the 37xd1e can't do 1080p over VGA, and as mcgovern said you don't get to choose the i or p over vga so you're stuck with lower res. It's not bad though, i found 720p (1024 x 768) over VGA to look much crisper than 1080p over component on my TV

Yeah, now that you mention it, i remember reading somewhere that the 37XD1E doesn't support 1080p over VGA alright. 1080i seemed fine last night though.

I bought the cable mainly for upscaling my DVD's - watched a few standard DVD's and they did look great.

Thanks all.

Advertisement