Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wife swap!!!!!......I mean rifle swap

Options
  • 20-11-2007 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hello everyone,
    I've got a .22 air-rifle and i was wondering does anyone know if it is possible to get this license changed over for a .22 rimmy?

The lad in the local gun shop said it should be no bother but i am dubious.
    Surely nothing can be that simple in this wonderful country of ours or can it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you go for up to .220 rifle, e.g. 22lr, 22wmr, 22 hornet, 17 hmr, 17 REM, even 220 swift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭rabbit Stew

Hi bunny shooter,
    What would be the protocol?
    I assume i'd have to trade in the puffer and get the serial number of the new rifle (cz 452 .22lr).

Also, would it be an relative quick process?
    It would be nice if it were in time for Santa.

Hi bunny shooter,
    What would be the protocol?
    I assume i'd have to trade in the puffer and get the serial number of the new rifle (cz 452 .22lr).

Either trade in air irfle or leave it in to be sold seperately. Pick "new" rifle get docket from dealer detailing rifle left in and one bought one and get an amendment done at the Garda station. Simple as that. Garda can amend it on the spot (maybe Firearms Garda only, depends on station)

Or keep original and go for another licence. 2 x rifle licences shouldn't be a major hassle to get ? Will take longer if recent developments are anything to go by

BUNNY SHOOTER---"Or keep original and go for another licence. 2 x rifle licences shouldn't be a major hassle to get ? Will take longer if recent developments are anything to go by"

Was thinking as much...
    Think i'll just go for the straight swap.
    Cheers bunny shooter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you go for up to .220 rifle, e.g. 22lr, 22wmr, 22 hornet, 17 hmr, 17 REM, even 220 swift

This makes no sense to me, 220 swift is a serious round compared to the others in you list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

The Firearms Officer should be able to change your existing cert on the spot, usually providing that you can show that your current firearm has been taken in by a gun dealer. The regulations allow for a firearms substitution providing there is no change in excise duty - i.e. you can't substitute a rifle for a shotgun. This topic has been raised before.

Your experience with the Firearms officer may differ from mine:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

tuxy wrote: »
    This makes no sense to me, 220 swift is a serious round compared to the others in you list.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Irish firearms legislation and its implementation.
    Unless things have changed very recently, that's how it works; .22 airgun = .22LR = .22WMR = .22 Hornet = .220 Swift.
    They're all (nominally) 0.220 inch calibre, and that's all the system wants to know.
    Anyone who knows anything about rifles knows it's daft, but that's how it is.

tuxy wrote: »

Thank you Rovi, it makes no sense, but does the law generally ?

Cheers bunny shooter.

No problem, glad I could help. Best of luck and hopefully you will have a smooth transition

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Rovi wrote: »
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Irish firearms legislation and its implementation.
    Unless things have changed very recently, that's how it works; .22 airgun = .22LR = .22WMR = .22 Hornet = .220 Swift.
    They're all (nominally) 0.220 inch calibre, and that's all the system wants to know.
    Anyone who knows anything about rifles knows it's daft, but that's how it is.

All that's totally irrelevant under the law as it stands. The law allows you to substitute anything for anything provided the rate of duty isn't higher.

That's it. There's no other restriction under the law much as some Gardai may believe (or want to believe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

rrpc wrote: »
    All that's totally irrelevant under the law as it stands. The law allows you to substitute anything for anything provided the rate of duty isn't higher.

That's it. There's no other restriction under the law much as some Gardai may believe (or want to believe).
    Certainly, but "All that's" how it works in the real world at the counter in the Garda station.

Rovi wrote: »
    Certainly, but "All that's" how it works in the real world at the counter in the Garda station.

Maybe so in some stations and definitely in others ;)

The point is that it's the law and everybody should know that (including Gardai).

No problem, glad I could help. Best of luck and hopefully you will have a smooth transition

Once again thanks bunny shooter but i am only getting a new rifle not a sex change.:D

Once again thanks bunny shooter but i am only getting a new rifle not a sex change.:D

Depending on the attitude of your local gardai a sex change may be less painfull :D

In my area if you want to substitute a 223 on a 220 licence then you have to reapply and pay for a new licence, same for 223 to 243, 243 to 6.5 etc

In my area if you want to substitute a 223 on a 220 licence then you have to reapply and pay for a new licence, same for 223 to 243, 243 to 6.5 etc

Something similar exists on my planet, but they'll be first against the wall when the revolution comes :D

Something similar exists on my planet, but they'll be first against the wall when the revolution comes :D

Vive la revolution !

I GOT IT.

Went into the local gun shop and guards today and all was done in less than time than it takes to make a bull a bullock.
    Cheers everyone.
    Will let you know when i pick it up.

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I GOT IT.

Went into the local gun shop and guards today and all was done in less than time than it takes to make a bull a bullock.
    Cheers everyone.
    Will let you know when i pick it up.

See - there is a Santa Claus:D Now don't go taking aim at his reindeers, at least not with a .22LR ........

Pick up the new rifle yesterday and set up my cheap scope on it today.
    Awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

I swapped 220 swift to 243 -no deer permit-my mate swapped
    air rifle to 308 no problems............

Advertisement