Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North West , fond memories ?..

Options
  • 20-11-2007 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

My fond memorie's of life in the the North-West are endless, so
    I will leave it to others of goodwill to give this thread a kick start ;).

P.:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Good to know,I also have many fond memories and hopefully many more to come

Life might be more enjoyable if Sligo is sorted out,its in a bad shape

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Have great memories of great Sligo buzz, the live music with Those Nervous Animals in Hennigans and fancy dress in the Clarence on New Years Eve. Xmas Eve was a special time with the buzz on the street with last minute shoppers. People were always so proud of being from Sligo. And of course the train to Sligo at xmas time, the buzz of aniticipation. If you couldnt afford the train you would thumb with a few friends.
    Does anyone thumb anymore?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

What Sligo was like before:
    -Rockwood Parade was done up.
    -Before Hughes Bridge was there.
    Heading off on my "Mountain Bike" and ending up god knows where.
    Heading to the Pub Xmas eve with my folks.
    The bowling Alley.
    Going to College in Letterkenny for two years (remember most of it suprisingly).

Exploring Finiskliin before it was developed properly.
    Rosses Point Beach when I was a kid
    Hazelwood before the Wooden Statues and Carvings were destroyed.
    Fishing and Shooting in Rossinver when I was a cub!

Growing up in Cartron and those seemingly endless summer nights.
    Primary and Secondary School. Good fun.
    Darts on a Monday nite.

I could go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The folk festival in Letterkenny in the 80's. Really enjoyed that.

The boys of Ballisodare was in that era too. Chuck Berry, the Everly Brothers headlining in its hay day but always the cream of Irish and Americain trad/folk. Not being old enough by along shot but getting in for free cos we were local. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Aye, I remember camping in the grass area opposite the mart and St. Eunans. Trying to erect a tent after a full day's drinking in the pouring rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

tuppence wrote: »
    The boys of Ballisodare was in that era too. Chuck Berry, the Everly Brothers headlining in its hay day but always the cream of Irish and Americain trad/folk. Not being old enough by along shot but getting in for free cos we were local. :D

the brother of a lad i know told me a great story about his father and the festival. He had been working abroad for a few years and when he moved back to ballysadare he was helping out with the security at the festival when he stopped some guy from getting in is they were full and stuff, the guy kept mentioning his name and that he was a preformer but the security guy was having none of it, until someone else intervened, that man trying to get in was Christy moore.
    The dad had no idea who he was as he'd been away for years.

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    the brother of a lad i know told me a great story about his father and the festival. He had been working abroad for a few years and when he moved back to ballysadare he was helping out with the security at the festival when he stopped some guy from getting in is they were full and stuff, the guy kept mentioning his name and that he was a preformer but the security guy was having none of it, until someone else intervened, that man trying to get in was Christy moore.
    The dad had no idea who he was as he'd been away for years.
    The guy that ran the festival i think used to manage Planxty, so thats probably why Christy was there. The pub accross the road, "The Thatch" were also involved in the festival. The overflow used to come into Collooney, 2 miles away. tents, camps, hippies, Hare Krisnas, germans and more germans everywhere. Our own little Woodstock for a few years on the trot. :cool:
    Very international crowd and more for the real discerning music lovers this festival...... . :D

Advertisement