Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving in the US

Options
  • 20-11-2007 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Okay in the US for the first time and we've decided to rent a big bus of a motorhome. I'll be the only one driving it seems. I've about 5 years experience behind me and have had my license for 3, but just driving stickshift cars and only in Ireland. So I'm a little bit apprehensive about it. Mostly the rules of the road here worry me. Are there many major differences (apart from the obvious one?). Would you have any titbits of knowledge you think would be good to impart for driving on US roads, with a much larger vehicle that's also an automatic for someone who's never done any of the above?

Cheers, any advice that will make me worry any less is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

you will probably need a category D driving licence for
    ApeXaviour wrote: »
    a big bus of a motorhome. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

When coming to traffic lights, turning right at the junction you don't have to wait until it's green (unless there is a filter) , just as long as it is safe to go (disclaimer: this applies to most states but not all, also you can't cut across a dual carraige way type junction obviously). If you forget this, the guy behind you will let you know by beeping you or shooting you, so you won't make the mistake twice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

pa990 wrote: »
    you will probably need a category D driving licence for
    I've checked and I don't.
    FrostyJack wrote: »
    When coming to traffic lights, turning right at the junction you don't have to wait until it's green (unless there is a filter) , just as long as it is safe to go (disclaimer: this applies to most states but not all, also you can't cut across a dual carraige way type junction obviously). If you forget this, the guy behind you will let you know by beeping you or shooting you, so you won't make the mistake twice :)
    Ah gentleman, didn't know that, thanks, should come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

If a school bus is stopped to let kids off and the stop sign is sticking out from the side of the bus - you must stop on BOTH sides of the road, unless there is a central median.
    If you come to a non traffic light junction - first one to stop at the line has the right of way and also - STOP at a stop sign - dont kinda roll up and have a look and roll through - you have to stop and carry on - bit of a pain in very quiet areas but you'll get pulled like my mate!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

FrostyJack wrote: »
    There will be a No Turn On Red sign at junctions where it is not permitted.
    Curran wrote:
    If you come to a non traffic light junction - first one to stop at the line has the right of way and also - STOP at a stop sign
    To avoid the confusion when two people arrive at the same time you can slow down to arrive second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Simplest thing I've ever figured out is the centre line/median is beside the driver, avoids confusion when coming out of airport and getting chased up the wrong side of the road by a very amused police man. Helps when driving wrong side of the road. Stick to the speed limits (+/- 5mph) they're quite strict, as said above, if you see a stop sign, STOP, first one to stop sign is generally first one to go through, if you do have a collision, minor scrape, keep driving until you can pull into a well lit, public area that's got lots of people, then trade numbers and details.

Expect to pay a lot for your fuel and you'll be fuelling often, same car over here will give you 36mpg car over there will give you 19mpg. Don't pull over for anyone unless they've got a hat and a very large gun, blue and red flashing lights.

Other than that the rules are exactly the same, you'll get a lot of lane changers in clapped out cars, people coming onto the highways like bats outta hell and nearly loosing the back end and they'll promptly hop into your lane, so give yourself a fair bit of space, not to much to encourage the fekkers to come into your lane but just enough (remember you'll be driving an 8litre 4 tonne lump). Tip well and you'll be looked after and if you're down south have a Denny's French Slammer, mmmmmmm.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

You can drive on a regular irish Licence

The Right on Red rule, you treat right hand turns at traffic lights as a stop sign if the light is red. You have to stop and let the weight of the vehicle settle before turning (or you will be done for running a stop sign). It's one of the most sensible ideas I've ever seen, if it's enforced/ used properly, unfortunately there would be mayhen here if left on red was introduced as everyone would take the pi$$ and break lights, and the guards wouldn't bother enforcing it.

The roads over there are well equiped for campervans/motor homes and there are campsites that facilitate motorhomes or RV's as they are known as over in the US.

They are fairly straightforward to drive, i would suggest you avoid as many cities as possible as they are fairly tough to navigate around busy city streets particularly if you don't know where you are going.

When I drove up to San Fran, we stayed in an RV park at Pac Bell stadium, a couple of miles outside the city and got cabs into the city made life a lot easier.

4 way stops are a tricky one too, a crossroad with a stop sign at each entrance, it works on a first in first out basis, so you need to pay attention to the other cars to at each entrance and go when it is you're turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Be wary of people crossing the road. Often they expect you to stop for them.
    In RI where I drive often you have to stop for people about to cross the road even if they are just standing on the footpath (so I was told anyway)

Don't speed! There are highway cops, state cops, county cops and city cops. I see people pulled over almost every day driving to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As for driving an auto for the first time ...for the first few miles consciously tuck your left foot out of the way.

Otherwise you will try to stamp on the "clutch" at the first crossroads out of habit, hit the brakes instead and empty the contents of all your cupboards in the camper all over the floor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Much appreciated, thanks everyone. Really glad I made the post, I'll defo be better off for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement