Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rust on UK cars thanks to salty roads

Options
  • 20-11-2007 5:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭

Im considering importing a Honda civic from UK circa 2002.

Considering salt/rust from UK cars - should I?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I wouldnt worry about it at such a young age, cars are better protected these days and especially as hondas are pretty decent when it comes to rust.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Why would a 'UK' car be any saltier than a car from the Republic?

I just dont get the whole UK~Salt~Rust thing.

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

ArthurF wrote: »

Sorry.
    How often have you seen the local authoritites in ireland salting the roads? - Maybe the odd bit of grit (after the frost/snow).

On the plus side, the UK car is less likely to have had the suspension hammered to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

ArthurF wrote: »

Sorry.

UK coucils use salt to clear snow, ice, frost off there roads so salt is left on the roads and gets on cars undersides so if left there can erode and cause rust on the car.

in Ireland however the councils use grit or usually nothin at all so there's no salt rust issue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

depends on location , scottish highlandswould be far worse than london
    if the car was from a costal area sea salt might be worse over the course of a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The Irish LAs do you use salt or at least a mix of grit and salt. With our massive road network relative to the population it is only feasible to treat a small fraction of the road network. So that might be a reason for less salting here. Also we get less ice and snow here (more temperate climate) than they do in GB.

A lot of the rust on UK cars is caused by stone chip damage from cars being driven on busy M-ways at 90+ mph. Two of the most likely places for this are the tip of the bonnet and the rear wheel arch. These are the areas where cars tend to rust first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

yep...in the uk they automaticaly salt and grit the roads once it falls below a certain tempeture(not sure what this is)...the salt eats away at the wheel arches, front and rear valance.....ive seen it and its shocking to see on a reasonably "new" car.
    Reminds me of a watching a fishing boat unload its catch into a transit a few years ago...the transit was only a couple of years old but was rusted to s.h.i.t.e. around the back doors and floor from the sea water.

Advertisement