Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "I Hate England Football Team because...' Thread

• 20-11-2007 5:56am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭

With all the recent action and the 'will they or won't they make it' talk I've noticed a lot of anger and resentment and above all prayers they won't make it to euro08 or more.

Where does all this hate stem from for you personally...?

I don't want them to qualify because... 84 votes

The Players
    0% 0 votes
    The English Media
    11% 10 votes
    58% 49 votes
    if we can't make it to Euro2008 than no-one should. Grr.
    15% 13 votes
    because I'm scottish and its mutual
    8% 7 votes
    no, I do want them to qualify and wish them success
    5% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Way to re-introduce yourself to the forum man ;)

I chose "The English Media" option. If you added another option along the lines of "some players", then I would have choosen that option too as I have a serious dislike for Ashley Cole, John Terry and Rio Ferdinand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Can't see this thread lasting very long but while it's here I might as well give my opinion.

Firstly I don't think many people hate the English TEAM. Most of the hatred is towards the media and the fans who big them up to be something they clearly aren't. No one can say that they love Wayne Rooney when he plays for United but hate him when he plays for England. It makes no sense. Likewise I hate Ashley Cole whether he plays for club or country.

I think your question could be better phrased as I don't actually think many dislike the team, it's the baggage that comes with them that p1sses people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Where is the 800 years option? :p

Its the arrogance really. Basically I dislike them for the exact same reasons I dislike Man U- cocky fans, crap nationalistic chants etc etc (the only thing the two dont have in common is Man Us success.) As Xavi said, I dont hate the individuals on the team, just the arrogant fans and media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

How about the "Because my country has a crap football team and I wish we qualified for as many major competitions as England" option? :D

Incidentally, I voted Media.
    BTW, has RTE stopped showing re-runs of the Irish victory over England at Croke Park this year? Or have Newstalk stopped talking about Padraig Harrington’s win at the British Open yet? Just wondering like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

BTW, has RTE stopped showing re-runs of the Irish victory over England at Croke Park this year? Or have Newstalk stopped talking about Padraig Harrington’s win at the British Open yet? Just wondering like.
    im sure they'll get shown again a couple of times over the xmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ian Wright is probably the biggest reason I hate the English team.

He is the worst pundit of all time. If they're winning he'll sing their praises and not shut up, but if they're losing he just sulks and won't talk.

He also seems to think they are, without a shadow of a doubt, the best team in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Don't hate them, but certainly don't love them either. Have no problem with them, don't like the BBC or Sky coverage really but I can always just not listen to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

It amuses me when people give out about the English media yet the Irish Media are just as bad.

Anyone remember "Liam Miller being the greatest player on the planet" and "McEady being amazing"?

We overrate every young player in our system, at least overrate the world class players, i.e Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The English media seems to be the leader so far.

You know what lads, and this might seem like a radical departure from common sense?

STOP FÚCKING WATCHING/READING IT.

It's that simple.

You don't need commentary to watch football, and every single tv comes with a Mute Button.

You don't have to buy the Sun/Mirror or other english tabs.

Complaining about something that you can fix yourself is foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Timans wrote: »
    We overrate every young player in our system

And under-rate the genuinely quality player we do have! (Weso)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I wouldn't say that I hate the team. I hate the English media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fratton Fred, did you misread the thread title? I want Engand to qualify, even if I don't have any time for the manager, much of the media, some of the players etc!

btw the "Cos I'm Scottish and its Mutual" option is wrong, the vast majority of English were backing Scotland against Italy, the hate is largely from the north, going south.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

DesF wrote: »

You know what lads, and this might seem like a radical departure from common sense?

It's that simple.

You don't need commentary to watch football, and every single tv comes with a Mute Button.

QFT Des

You dont see people on here complaining about the Spanish media and they are worse, You should have seen what they wrote on marca after the Denmark game , More or less saying they were the best team in Europe and the rest of Europe is shaking with fear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

another reason why i dislike them is the style they play... they can be like the Bolton of international football at times... lump it forward and go in hard. such a waste of talent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

How about the "Because my country has a crap football team and I wish we qualified for as many major competitions as England" option? :D

No RTE have not stopped talking about the rugby victory over world cup runners up England.
    Even on the late Late show when the president was on it was mentioned.

They were showing video footage of her 10 years in office, one clip was on the Martin Johnson standing the wrong side of the red carpet and then her saying a few words to Brian O Driscoll when she meet the Irish team.

Pat asked :what did you say to Brian O Driscoll after that
    President : Nothing bad about the English, just go out and play a good game
    Pat : Well we really stuffed them in Croke Park this year didn't we, he he.

Shut the F**K up Pat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

It's that simple.

Totally agree, if you want hyepless reproting then the Irish Times is your only paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I dislike them because every competition that comes up they are destined to win it because of 1966.

'Whoar, the intercity of London under 3's cup is in the bag son, remember 1966'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I voted every option because I'm a flip-flopper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Rivalry
    they are our closest nation and its perfectly reasonable to have a rivalry with them.
    You could say as our closest nation we should support them but do Canadians support the yanks in Ice Hockey,New Zerland support the aussies in rugby, pakistan support India in cricket, dublin support meath in Gaa?
    Of course not
    In Ireland England's case its more one way as they consider us a small former colony not to be concerned with but just because its one way doesnt make it any less of a rivalry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Where is the "Because they are English" option?

Do we really, really need this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Rivalry
    just because its one way doesnt make it any less of a rivalry.

Yes it does.

Rivalry

just because its one way doesnt make it any less of a rivalry.
    Yes it does, this is called minnowism.

And we are a minnow
    Since when Did Jealousy and Begrudgery become bad things?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I supported the English team up until the end of the 2002 World Cup. Seaman got crucified by the English press and I think that turned me against them.

I loved the Engish team circa 1996-2000. Players like a young Michael Owen, David Seaman, Stuart Pearce and Tony Adams made me like them and want them to do well. I remember being gutted for them when they lost to Argentina in 98, what a brilliant game that was.

However, now the balance of likeable/dislikeable players has tipped firmly in the other direction. There are no Arsenal players in the setup. I do like Beckham, James, Sol Campbell, Owen, Barry, SWP, Carragher (oops) and a few others, but I dislike Gerrard, Ferdinand, Rooney and so on a whole lot more. Maybe when young Theo grows up the balance may be restored.

I remember being gutted for them when they lost to Argentina in 98, what a brilliant game that was.
    Yep.
    There are no Arsenal players in the setup.
    Now, that's hardly England's fault, is it? Although maybe the 'keeper might be in next year? Almunia is it? Can't he become 'English" soon?
    Maybe when young Theo grows up
    You see, this is normal.

Most Irish people who support EPL teams, but then go on to say "I hate them damn brits", perplex me.

Most Irish people who support EPL teams, but then go on to say "I hate them damn brits", perplex me.

I dont suport an EPL team
    I dont hate Brits
    I just like to see people fail
    as england our our nearest neighbors them failing is far funnier

I dont suport an EPL team
    I dont hate Brits
    I wasn't specifically on about you tbh.

as england our our nearest neighbors them failing is far funnier
    :D

I wasn't specifically on about you tbh.

I just wanted to distance myself form hypocritical fools who dislike england national for those reasons.
    rather than my perfectly reasonable ones.

jameshayes wrote: »
    I dislike them because every competition that comes up they are destined to win it because of 1966.

'Whoar, the intercity of London under 3's cup is in the bag son, remember 1966'

You missed the point that we invented the game as well. Surely that gives us the right to win every tournament and if we don't it's because of a bad ref, cheating foreigner etc etc etc:rolleyes :rolleyes::D

Rivalry's great and banter is even better. I get pissed off when people are as obssessed with England losing as they are their own team winning, but I haven't experienced much of that in Ireland to be fair.

The Scots on the other hand.......

• Advertisement

Wow, you must have loved Steve Staunton then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

People say we'd never hear the end of it if they one a major international trophy but rte are still going on about italia 90 at every opportunity so we're no better ourselves. And if we had players like lampard,terry,gerrard etc. we'd all be expecting to win things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Where's the "800 years" option?

rte are still going on about italia 90 at every opportunity so we're no better ourselves.
    Case in point, Podge and Rodge showed part of the shootout last night.

And then the audience all sang Olé Olé Olé.
    tuxy wrote: »
    Where's the "800 years" option?
    :rolleyes:

It wasn't just England who occupied Ireland, in fact most of the planters were Scottish Presbyterians.

Furthermore, the unified British Crown cam about when a Scottish King (James I) took on the English throne too (Becoming James VI of England).

The Kingdom has been United ever since.

Even Furthermore, the Prime Minister and other high position ministers in the UK at the time of the Easter Rebellion and the signing of the treaty was a Welshman (Lloyd-George).

But then, don't let facts get in the way of an aul bit of hatred.

Interesting you said that. Shels hate Rovers, Rovers barely even notice you, and that drives you batshít. Its the same dynamic, the bigger, more successfull club having a patronising attitude to the pretender who of late has fallen on hard times.

You can't call the Irish mocking of the Saxon foe minnowism and as a Shels fan call Rovers your biggest rivals. (Queue 'we hate B*hs, SPA FC, UCD more' ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

The Scots on the other hand.....

whats your point? :D

For me its rivalry for the main part. They are our closest neighbours...bigger than us and more successful than us, surely wanting to see them betaen isnt a bad thing?

My only connection with england is having lived there for a while and having a few mates that are english...i have mates who are celtic fans too...i dont wanna see them win anything do i?

What is everyones obsession with needing a reason other than football for not wanting them to win?

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »

What is everyones obsession with needing a reason other than football for not wanting them to win?

I think even you can see that there might be more than just sport to an Ireland v Engerland rivalry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I think even you can see that there might be more than just sport to an Ireland v Engerland rivalry.

Same goes for Scotland England mate....but at the same time, its almost becoming a "bad" thing to just plainly not want to see england win, its crazy.
    Rivalry exists in football at all levels and for all reasons.
    Most people enjoy it for the banter and a bit of a laugh, exactly how it should be.
    Why let a select few who get carried away with it all ruin that?

Interesting you said that. Shels hate Rovers, Rovers barely even notice you, and that drives you batshít.
    Meh, I could care less about it. True, I do hate Rovers, but I hate all other clubs equally.

I'm just that kinda guy.
    Its the same dynamic, the bigger, more successfull club having a patronising attitude to the pretender who of late has fallen on hard times.
    Blahdy blah blah blah.

Same as last season when Rovers were in the First yeah, when no-one gave a shiney shíte about them?

Or was your time in the first different.

That's also minnowism. And you know it.
    You can't call the Irish mocking of the Saxon foe minnowism and as a Shels fan call Rovers your biggest rivals. (Queue 'we hate B*hs, SPA FC, UCD more' ;))
    I don't call Rovers our biggest Rivals. Or Bohs, or SPA, or UCD. Or any other Premier Division club.

Our biggest Rivals this season turned out to be L37, they finished a place above us and made sure we didn't finish top 4 (as was our managers stated aim pre-season).

Meh, I could care less about it. True, I do hate Rovers, but I hate all other clubs equally.

I'm just that kinda guy.

But you accept that the majority of Shels fans see Rovers as their biggest rivals while Rovers see you as their little cousin?

Blahdy blah blah blah.

Same as last season when Rovers were in the First yeah, when no-one gave a shiney shíte about them?

Or was your time in the first different.

That's also minnowism. And you know it.

Not sure what you are getting at. We gave the division a much needed shot in the arm at the time. Our visit saw a number of 1st division clubs break their attendance records. What was minnowist about dumping her Majesties Bohemians out of the cup? Or Pats the league cup?

But you accept that the majority of Shels fans see Rovers as their biggest rivals while Rovers see you as their little cousin?
    Am I the majority of Shels fans? (don't worry, I can see the obvious, hilarious, riposte to this already, don't bother).

Do I care what the majority of Shels fans think?

Do I care what you think the majority of Shels fans think?

The answer to allof these questions is no, so your attempted WUMing is lost on me.

Not sure what you are getting at. We gave the division a much needed shot in the arm at the time. Our visit saw a number of 1st division clubs break their attendance records. What was minnowist about dumping her Majesties Bohemians out of the cup? Or Pats the league cup?

Ah, so your time in the First Division was nothing short of a revolution.

I don't know what's worse, minnowism or delusions of grandeur.

Both the same really

"We aren't small time, look, look at what we done, I can prove it"

Well done.

• Advertisement

Am I the majority of Shels fans? (don't worry, I can see the obvious, hilarious, riposte to this already, don't bother).

Do I care what the majority of Shels fans think?

Do I care what you think the majority of Shels fans think?

The answer to allof these questions is no, so your attempted WUMing is lost on me.

you are protesting far too much. No WUMing happening at all. Its a legitimate analogy.

Ah, so your time in the First Division was nothing short of a revolution.

I don't know what's worse, minnowism or delusions of grandeur.

Both the same really

"We aren't small time, look, look at what we done, I can prove it"

Well done.

Now you just sound bitter. Its not my fault we walked the division and took the opportunity to regroup and totally change how we ran the football club while you have just carried on with the exact same model on a reduced budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Back on topic! :p

Mike.

We didn't have our debts totally wiped out either.

Or near totally wiped out.

And no, I'm not bitter.

The only thing I care about, in a footballing sense obviously, is Shelbourne. The way the club is going about doing things, while not perfect by any stretch, is the best we can do without dropping out of the league altogether, and I don't think there's anyone on the island, apart from Kdjac, who wants to see another club go out of existance.

You obviously have excellent insight into every club in the eL, so you'll know about how the budget is being cut again for this season, and our board have two more plans to look at with regards to getting out of Tolka, having been knocked back by Home Farm. That was a blow, but I have every confidence in the current BoM, CEO and supporters trust, of which I am a part.

Now, do you want to have another pop at me, or shall we allow the English Haters have their thread back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

800 years…..arrogance….toffee nose gits….. Then why the hell do you watch British TV and read Brist tabloids!!!!! Stick to RTE and concentrate on your own media your own national team keep your Sky money and the money you invest in English teams and invest it in the Eircom league and turn that into a world class league you can all be proud of.

On second thoughts feck that lets just slag off them across the water easier option!!!!

Talk about media hype did you hear the Irish media before the Rugby world cup!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The Irish media are on par if not worse than the English media. One thing that we are guilty of is if we perform badly, it's the managers faults(correct a lot of the time) but if the Czechs or someone else performs badly, it's their players that are moderate and not their managers fault at all.

There was only 1 reason I was going to be happy to see England not qualify, and that was giving a good few Man Utd players a rest next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I'm ambivalent on whether I want them to qualify or not.
    On the one hand I hope they lose to Croatia because I don't think they deserve to qualify and they have quite an ordinary squad despite how the media hype seems to differ.
    But, then again if England fail Russia progress and they will offer nothing at next years tournament.
    I went to all of englands games, bar the Swiss game, at the last Euros in Portugal and the whole experience was immense - right through to the peno shoot-out defeat. So, I recognise what they bring to a tournament.

I suppose in the short term I want England to lose so I can witness the 'car crash' that happens after:D, but if they do make it I will look forward to their participation and everything that goes with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Can't see this thread lasting very long but while it's here I might as well give my opinion.

Firstly I don't think many people hate the English TEAM. Most of the hatred is towards the media and the fans who big them up to be something they clearly aren't. No one can say that they love Wayne Rooney when he plays for United but hate him when he plays for England. It makes no sense. Likewise I hate Ashley Cole whether he plays for club or country.

I think your question could be better phrased as I don't actually think many dislike the team, it's the baggage that comes with them that p1sses people off.

I think this is the view point that makes the most sense for me. Its the hype & hysteria as opposed to the team themselves. Individual players can make it harder to support a club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Unearthly wrote: »
    The Irish media are on par if not worse than the English media.
    And still most of the English probably couldn't tell you who Eamon Dunphy is. If I'm not watching RTE I'm watching English telly. At this stage it's probably jealousy more than anything with me. I just couldn't bare the thought of them winning a major tournament.

If I went to the other side of the world I'd still be wanting England to lose as much as ever so it's not really the media with me. It's just in me. I can't help it or explain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

England qualifying for Euro 2008 will be great, it will make the tournament interesting for us neutrals. it will also mean McClaren keeps his job and England will fail miserably, cue switching over to BBC for the look on that muppet Ian Wright's face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

I have to agree Ian Wright should not be aloud to comment on any games let alone English ones worsed pundit of all time, closely followed by Jamie Rednapp then Pat Dolan..........

• Advertisement
Advertisement