Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal housholders face €110 bin charge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

That's very true - I forgot that the County Manager and his team can force the thing through even if it gets voted down. I love democracy.

It's like the Nice referendum all over again. The majority voted a resounding "No", so the government came back six months later to go "Do you want to try answering that again" and put some trick phrasing in there to make sure that the majority would have to vote "Yes" the second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That's very true - I forgot that the County Manager and his team can force the thing through even if it gets voted down. I love democracy.

It's like the Nice referendum all over again. The majority voted a resounding "No", so the government came back six months later to go "Do you want to try answering that again" and put some trick phrasing in there to make sure that the majority would have to vote "Yes" the second time around.
    ...and everyone seems to forget that on the day of the first Nice referendum, we also voted on two other issues (Death Penalty and International Court of Justice) but we were only required to re-vote on the Nice one! :( When I challeneged this with our representatives at the doorstep in the subsequent elections none of them appeared to know what I was talking about!)

*shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Typical FCC.

They run an inefficient service and expect householders to pay for their incompetance :rolleyes:

If it was run PROPERLY this proposed charge wouldnt have even be considered. Fcukin clowns.

If its making such a loss then reconsider how many times you send out your trucks, how many households leave their black bin out every week? Id say a small minority so why dont you only run the service every fortnight? I'm not going to post any more ideas, why should I do their job for them.
    Would I be right in saying also that there is money to be made from recycling the green bin contents?

Sizzler wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying also that there is money to be made from recycling the green bin contents?
    No you wouldn't - it costs money to recycle many things. Some have to be exported as far away as China! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Anyone know how to start an online petition ???

• Advertisement

No you wouldn't - it costs money to recycle many things. Some have to be exported as far away as China! :rolleyes:

How many of those things that need to go to China are found in the average householders green bin :rolleyes: Care to give us an example? I would imagine the average householders bin is made up of paper and cardboard, if we cant recycle that here then the country is worse off then I thought :o

sharkman wrote: »
    Anyone know how to start an online petition ???

http://www.ipetitions.com/start-petition/

How many of those things that need to go to China are found in the average householders green bin :rolleyes: Care to give us an example? I would imagine the average householders bin is made up of paper and cardboard, if we cant recycle that here then the country is worse off then I thought :o
    A neighbour who works in the tiphead in Balleally tells me that much of the plastics are exported, some of it to China. He also said that many the companies who collect the recycled stuff from the recycling areas are paid to collect it even though many people think they pay the Council for it.

A neighbour who works in the tiphead in Balleally tells me that much of the plastics are exported, some of it to China. He also said that many the companies who collect the recycled stuff from the recycling areas are paid to collect it even though many people think they pay the Council for it.

Since when do green bins take plastic, just checked Oxigen's website and theres no mention :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 blue diver

Feck this, my rubbish is going out the car window from now on, down some quiet backroad in finglas. That'll show em. Note to self: Dont leave utility bills in the rubbish. :D
    gone are the days when you could burn the lot in the back garden:eek:

• Advertisement

Since when do green bins take plastic, just checked Oxigen's website and theres no mention :confused:
    The green bins do not take plastic but it is accepted at the Council's Recycling centres - plastic bottles, plastic cartons/trays, plastic bags/packaging etc.

The green bins do not take plastic but it is accepted at the Council's Recycling centres - plastic bottles, plastic cartons/trays, plastic bags/packaging etc.

Well thats slightly off subject in fairness, we were discussing the inefficiency of their black & green bin service. Bring along centres is a far cry from that.

Do you work for FCC ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I read somewhere last week that it was proposed that plastics will be acceptable in the green bin once the new & improved, super-duper, €110-a-year waste service is introduced.

If I can find the link I'll post it later.

How many of those things that need to go to China are found in the average householders green bin :rolleyes:
    On "Questions and Answers" (RTE 1 TV) tonight they have been discussing the expense of sending materials for recycling to China! ;)

On "Questions and Answers" (RTE 1 TV) tonight they have been discussing the expense of sending materials for recycling to China! ;)

Yes, but if you look at my post that you quoted I was refering to GREEN bins!

Currently plastics are not accepted in green bins hence its not part of this discussion.

Currently plastics are not accepted in green bins hence its not part of this discussion.

See here regarding the expansion of the Green Bin service to include plastics. (Bottom of 2nd paragraph.)

^^ Great stuff.

I still don't agree with the €110 tax hike, do you?

^^ Great stuff.

I still don't agree with the €110 tax hike, do you?

No I don't. I think that it is inequitable.
    We should pay by weight, or per collection.

I don't understand the point you are making regarding green bins. :confused:

I don't work for the council and I've no intention of defending them. I disagree with the new fee but trying to seperate the green bin issue from the total recycling service costs is a bit like saying that your Motor tax should only be spent on the roads that you use. I'm sure that the cost of providing recycling services are looked at as a whole and that any income gained from one aspect is used to supplement another.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

torqdj wrote: »
    gone are the days when your actual tax on you wages paid for things,

Also gone are the days when the lowest rate of tax was over 30% - thankfully.

• Advertisement

lemeister wrote: »
    Also gone are the days when the lowest rate of tax was over 30% - thankfully.
    ........and the upper rate at 65%!

I
    I'm sure that the cost of providing recycling services are looked at as a whole and that any income gained from one aspect is used to supplement another.
    Mores the pity :( Thats why they are trying to ride you for another €110.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

why dont we give back our brown and green bins and just use the black one with the tag and bring our other stuff[recycling]to the free centres around the area,surely they cant charge us 110euro then.

greatgoal wrote: »
    why dont we give back our brown and green bins and just use the black one with the tag and bring our other stuff[recycling]to the free centres around the area,surely they cant charge us 110euro then.
    The €110 charge plus €8 tag per bin is for the black bin collection - to supplement the recycling service.

If you chose not to utilise the brown and green bins it is you who would be at a loss as you will be required to pay the €110 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Well, after writing to all the TDs and County Councillors for the North Fingal area I have only received one, single, solitary reply.

The reply came from Daragh O'Brien. Not that it's promising much, but it's more than I got from any of the other public representatives in the area.
    Sorry about the slight delay in getting back to you. The past week has been particularly busy as you probably can imagine. I want to put on record that as your local T.D. I am completely opposed to the introduction of a flat fee for Green Bin Collection. In my three years in the Council, before my election to the Dail, I and my colleagues worked hard to ensure that recycling facilities in Fingal are improved and expanded across the Fingal Area (such as the Estuary Recycling Centre that both you and I use). Fingal have increased the amount of waste recycled to 35% over the past few years and this is to be welcomed. However, I believe that much of this success was down to the fact that recycling is incentivised in Fingal. Earlier on this year I was advised my Fingal that the Green bin service was to expand to twice a month. I very much welcomed this. At no stage during those discussions did Fingal mention that there was even the remotest chance of a flat fee for green bin collection. I have always been supportive of the Polluter Pays Principle, however this should not apply when people are recycling. I believe that the introduction of a flat fee could lead to a reduction in the amount of waste being recycling.

This matter will be discussed at the Budget meetings of the Council, which began on Tuesday. Meeting is due to recovene on 10th December. Cllr. Eoghan O'Brien (FF) who replaced me in the Council is on record as opposing this measure for many of the reasons I have outlined above and has stated that he will vote against the Budget if this is not amended. As you will know the Council is controlled by Fine Gael, Labour and the Greens and I believe that they should take the same stance as Cllr. O'Brien to stop this retrograde step being taken. I have copied your e-mail to Eoghan. I will be back in touch when I have further news.

Finally, I will be letting my views on this issue be known to the County Manager and the Director of Services Environment Department, Mr. PJ Howell.

If you have any queries or wish to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact me.

I almost feel guilty for not even voting for him in the general election :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Nice work Fingleberries.

Now what we need is a thread sticky listing all the Fingal CC'ers and TDs, contact details and their stance on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Not to mention the emission and damage to the environment to transport 100000s of tons of rubbish in a big polluting diesel ship half way around the planet to china where most of it will be recycled. (burned in 1950s incinerators). Pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭casey212

When will people ever learn. The environment problem is just a scam.

Green this, green that. "we all need to do our bit"

Grow up. In ten years time when you have less rights than a tree you might have reservations about being "good".

As for fingal council, I think in the old days such tactics would have been referred to as legalised robbery.

In fairness I also got a reply back from Clare Daly and as you would expect she is vehemently against the proposals. She did say though that the ultimate decision rests with the county manager so even if all the councillors oppose it he can just push it through anyway :eek: The only power the councillors have then is the pricing of same, so if it makes it through I think €1 a year seems fair :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭casey212

In fairness I also got a reply back from Clare Daly and as you would expect she is vehemently against the proposals. She did say though that the ultimate decision rests with the county manager so even if all the councillors oppose it he can just push it through anyway :eek: The only power the councillors have then is the pricing of same, so if it makes it through I think €1 a year seems fair :D

Who is the county manager?

If this is true, then Daly is saying that one person can make a decision that affects thousands of people in the fingal area. And people proclaim the great democratic state that we live in. Lets not forget that the original bin charges were illegal in the first place. Also two or three years from now, if this is not stopped, I can guarantee you that the annual fee will not be less than €500. Anyone want to take the other side of that bet???? let me know.

Advertisement