Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal housholders face €110 bin charge

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

casey212 wrote: »
    Who is the county manager?

David O'Connor
    County Manager, Fingal County Council
    David became Manager of Fingal County Council on the 14th November 2006. Prior to his appointment as Manager, he served as Director of Services, Planning and Development Department of Fingal County Council.
    Email: managerssecretary@fingalcoco.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭casey212

Sizzler wrote: »
    David O'Connor
    County Manager, Fingal County Council
    David became Manager of Fingal County Council on the 14th November 2006. Prior to his appointment as Manager, he served as Director of Services, Planning and Development Department of Fingal County Council.
    Email: managerssecretary@fingalcoco.ie

Alright,

You can actually e mail him directly: manager@fingalcoco.ie

I have just let him know what I think. Perhaps if everyone who has an opinion on this e-mailed him instead of just putting up with it, then something might be done.

Silence is consent.

casey212 wrote: »
    Alright,

You can actually e mail him directly: manager@fingalcoco.ie

I have just let him know what I think. Perhaps if everyone who has an opinion on this e-mailed him instead of just putting up with it, then something might be done.

Silence is consent.

Fair play :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

In second place on the response from public representatives, we have Trevor Sargent.
    Dear xxxxxx,

I understand your feelings on this bin charge issue. Fingal County Council tell me that the cost of recycling services is rising and they cannot expand their services to avoid landfill unless they get more income. They chose the €110 proposal per annum in preference to an €18 per bin tag charge. I am available at my clinic if you wish to discuss this further,

Le gach dea ghuí,

Trevor Sargent T.D
    Minister for Food and Horticulture.

Just as an aside. Here's an idea - why not just have it that you have to put a Bin Tag on your Grey bin, and also your green bin and also on the Brown smelly bin? Then you're only paying for what you use?

Surely this is a more open and fair pricing scheme than telling everyone that they get a 'free' green bin and brown bin collection - while it suspisciously looks like the €110 charge is paying for that.

• Advertisement

Just as an aside. Here's an idea - why not just have it that you have to put a Bin Tag on your Grey bin, and also your green bin and also on the Brown smelly bin? Then you're only paying for what you use?

Surely this is a more open and fair pricing scheme than telling everyone that they get a 'free' green bin and brown bin collection - while it suspisciously looks like the €110 charge is paying for that.

Be careful here, you may get your wish. People tend to take fingal council at their word, a "valid" reason is always provided when required. Do not forget that with upfront tax, prsi and stealth tax, the average person hands over about 60% of all income.

They have been successful in their ploy, people are now debating the size of charges, rather than the fact that they should not exist in the first place.

Very valid point casey ... I'll return to focusing my original point that the €110 charge is ridiculous and post any updates from Elected representatives or The County Manager.

Excellent Fingleberries. Keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Buck Mulligan

It is interesting to note that the increase in bin charges coincides with the downturn in house building. The council is making up income lost in the receipt of less development levies. You will notice that these charges will increase as development levies fall. The council's ultimate goal is to privatise waste collection so that they will have no responsibility for it in the future. With the DBO schemes for water and wastewater projects, the council will push for the introduction of domestic water / wastewater charges as well, also with the ultimate goal of privatisation. There is nothing anybody can do because if the elected councillers don't approve, the county manager abolishes the council and rules by decree - democracy me a***. Maybe it's time to abolish the 4 local dublin authorities with their associated huge staff and have 1 efficient democratic authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

€110 charge was passed on the 10th December :mad:

• Advertisement

:mad:
    Do you know by what majority it was passed, or can we see a record of who voted what way on it? I know they sometimes make the minutes of the meetings accessible from somewhere on the Fingal Co. Co. Web Site (I can't remember where, though). It'll be handy to know as they start to come out of the woodwork later next year preparing for the Local Elections in 2009.

Only two public representatives responded on the topic, and the county manager and his secretary were strangely quiet on the matter, too.
    :mad:

EDIT: Found the location for the minutes, but they haven't got December up yet.
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/minutes/index.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Presumably the €110 will be tax deductable just like the bin tags?

SeaSide wrote: »

Well I'd rather pay these lads than FCC and the fact they are half the price makes it even better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

So can you just say to Fingal coco when they send you out the €110 bill. 'No thanks , I've made alternative arrangements , please remove your bins from my property or I'll start charging you storage charges'

Fingalian wrote: »
    So can you just say to Fingal coco when they send you out the €110 bill. 'No thanks , I've made alternative arrangements , please remove your bins from my property or I'll start charging you storage charges'

:D

I dont think they are sending out bills though, they are just revising their bin tags and also giving stickers to those people who paid the €110.

I might email greenstar and see exactly what they are offering and when..

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

probably ok for the first year,then when they build up a solid customer base,theyll be the same as all the other private companies in other counties 400-500 per year.also greenstar will not be granting waivers to unemployed people or the elderly and will charge for extra bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

greatgoal wrote: »
    probably ok for the first year,then when they build up a solid customer base,theyll be the same as all the other private companies in other counties 400-500 per year.also greenstar will not be granting waivers to unemployed people or the elderly and will charge for extra bags.
    ....and they will probably only be interested in 'cherry picking' high density areas. I can't see them sending a truck down a boreen at the back end of Garristown to empty one bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baegan

have any of u guys used panda for recycling in the fingal area?
    they are cheaper than the council...282 yearly for all 3 bins with no bin tags..

im about to change over to this crowd, but was wondering if anyone is using them and if they have had any hassle with them
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

baegan wrote: »
    have any of u guys used panda for recycling in the fingal area?
    they are cheaper than the council...282 yearly for all 3 bins with no bin tags..

They are only cheaper if you put your black bin out a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

theyre supposed to be raising their prices from 23.50 per month to 35euro per month.

Advertisement