Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband - 3Mbit - Disonnections

Options
  • 20-11-2007 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Greetings and good morning.

Since yesterday we have eircom broadband with a 3MBit line.
    Everything worked fine so far.
    DSL Modem (Netopia 22xx-NGW) attached, configuration thanks to some guys here done pretty fast and so on.
    Some details:

Set to "always on"
    Registry edited to MTU 1492
    Ports forwarded (though I still need an Azureus port that is not being rejected)

Issues I need "you" help with:

-Azureus port that Azureus does not reject / the router does not recejt (error message coming, saying that it's not being accepted. Or if I use the original 6881 e.g., then most torrents do block it).

-Disconnections from the web, every 5-10 minutes. Pretty damn annoying being an online gamer.

Now, as I've read some threads and browsed the web, it may either be the line iteself, not being able to handle the 3Mbit.
    Or the MTU, which I edited in the Registry (hopefully it was the right place anyways, would be glad if someone could give me a hand there again).

Any other ideas what I should / could try?
    I'm living near Ashtown, btw, just north-eastish from Phoenix Park Race Course.
    Along the Royal Canal (Park).

Cheers.

P.S. Forgot: if anyone knows how to configurate my own modem (let's say a Netgear) to work with eircom broadband, also let me know? Got no username and password from them, so no clue how this works here in Ireland.

P.P.S Also I attached it by wire, not wireless. NO fixed IP so far. Might consider this of course if it can help?

P.P.P.S Firewall router setting on one above low (don't know the name right now)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Silfar

And last but not least:

I've read in yet another thread that the router can be the problem quite often, as it's very, very sensitive to interferences when you live outside of the City (Dublin).
    Since I wanted to get my own router anyways, any recommendations and what exactly I have to do to get it working with my eircom BB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

All the connection settings / username / passwords etc are on the left hand column on http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Have you read the FAQ?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055167684

More important have you read - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

Line quality has nothing to do with being in Dublin or not, you can just as easily have a crap quality line in the middle of Dublin :)

Found them earlier, did not have the time for a post at work again, my thanks.

I'll grab me a modem today from PCWorld, either Linksys or Netgear.
    And some of those connection thingies, don't recall the name.

If I get the issue solved through this, I shall let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dotfuscator

i'm havin the same problem as you, i've a 3mb connection (galway), discussin it with others in another thread too, ya must let me know if it could just be a router problem (although i think it's a little more than that).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its quite obvious that rural dsl is better than city dsl in ireland because the network is designed that way . Overhead cable is always thicker to deal with wind and can carry more data

Just send me your modem , you will not need it again :p

Quick update:

Line stable now.
    Changes:

-Netgear DSL Router
    -New filters (not the crappy eircom)
    -Static IP (just in case)

It runs smoothly now.
    Thanks for the help and the FAQ.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Static IP?
    How is that going to help your connection problem? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dotfuscator

Good to hear. can ya give me an update on your situation in about a week to see if ya still have no problems plz?

what's the problem with the eircom filters? are they actually 'crappy' or is that just (justifiable) eircom prejudice?

Prejudice.
    Fixed IP for firewall issues, downloading torrents and teh like.

Whatever it was, filter or modem, I don't care.
    I did everything in one swipe the second evening after receiving the crap modem from eircom and replaced that by my new netgear.
    Runs like a charm now, no disconnections.
    Also since I replaced the filters, the landline is clearer as well, no more background noises (or very rarily).

Still, even though I will not move back to Germany for a long time (if at all), I miss the tech there (or in france)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Silfar wrote:
    Quick update:

Line stable now.
    Changes:

-Netgear DSL Router
    -New filters (not the crappy eircom)
    -Static IP (just in case)

It runs smoothly now.
    Thanks for the help and the FAQ.

Setting a static IP wouldn't have done anything - it's just the address to your router (its the only way you can set an manual IP through DSL (the 192.168.1.xxx address) because it uses DHCP.

Now manually assigning the DNS servers in the TCP/IP settings would help stabilise the connection.

Done this as well, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

And how's it running now?

Advertisement