Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal to introduce yearly bill for bins

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

dodgyme wrote: »
    so much for you pay for what you use? http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1120/waste.html

THats so stupid. How does that get people to reduce the waste the produce?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Perhaps its to pay for their new pet football team Sporting Fingal, for whom they plan to build a football stadium and academy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

it seems the 110 is on top of bin tags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I think this is crazy, esp when lazy feckers who dont want to work get the tags etc for free. Something needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thats just typical. I thought the idea behind bin tags was to reduce your waste !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

WTF!! Its already €8 every time I put out my bin so now another €100 also. How are they going to collect it?
    With tags its virtually anonymous, I guess the bin-men just rip off the tag and dump the bin contents in the lorry. They don't check if the correct bin is outside the right house, apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

DLRDCC charge a flat fee, plus a pick up, plus per KG.
    Have to say a flat fee to provide the service and then to charge per pick up isn't too bad.
    Although I think all dublin buroughs should should have the same pricing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

if you recyle more and make an effort to reduce your waste (such as buying stuff with less packaging) you can reduce the amount of times you have to use your bin tags

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine its going to be like the city system, where the annual charge is essentially used to fund green measures and discourage landfill. Note that some people have more than one rubbish bin. The charges are proportionate to what it costs to provide the service and are in favour of the conscientious user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

We recycle enough that we only need to put out our bin once every 6 weeks.
    This new system isnt fair at all.
    I would prefer if they just doubled the price of the tags than did this.
    This is far from the "Pay for what you throw away" that they sold people on before

• Advertisement

the scheme is only for people who have a green + brown + grey bin.
    you get a sticker for each bin and only have to tag the grey bin.
    brown and green collections are going to double and green bins will take plastic

i dont have a green or a brown bin so would actually like this idea,
    if i had anywhere to put th dam things.
    we have to leave our grey bin out the front of our house on the public path as otherwise we would be keeping it in our living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Don't you know all the other fecking dublin councils will follow this, this is another rip off and shouldn't be accepted, Looks like they think that because the property management crowds can get away with it in complexes the council think they will be able to get away with it as well.

Don't you know all the other fecking dublin councils will follow this, this is another rip off and shouldn't be accepted, Looks like they think that because the property management crowds can get away with it in complexes the council think they will be able to get away with it as well.
    Huh?! You'll have to explain that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I think he's suggesting that the concept of a flat charge regardless of use is unfair.
    He does have apoint in this regard, I live in an apartment and although the management fees are covered by the landlord, I do have an idealogical problem with the fact that the waste removal is a flat fee, which can't be lowered by efforts to recycle, reduce waste, etc.

The fingal plans don't seem to be that bad, though, as the flat charge aspect of it seems fairly low relative to what they'd charge if there wasn't also a per-use charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Elsewhere around the country people pay a flat fee per year to a private company or to the Co.Council to have their bins collected (green and black or blue and black or even black, brown and green combinations). It's absolutely fine. If you don't pay the fee then you don't get a sticker for your bin and it doesn't get collected. Simple as. Why are Dublin people always complaining for the last few years about having to pay for rubbish collection. The rest of the country has always had to pay for it and it has (almost) always worked fine.

The bin tags were introduced so as those who used more paid more. That was the point to it. Now basically they want more money even after the rises they introduced on the bin tag for the last 2 years. As someone who has paid more than the odds for a house and is the generation who is hit hardest by tolls, stamp duty, mortgage payments, inflation, interest rate hikes with the economy starting to slide the gov want to screw us more. Well fine! but I want my decent public transport, pavements, cycle lanes, SCHOOLs, playgrounds, clean hospitals first. People between 23-40ish are being sqeezed dry by the government and within this context after 10 yrs of boom the place is filthy and a mess. Maybe time for them to stop asking for money and do something with the cash they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

The bin tags were introduced so as those who used more paid more. That was the point to it. Now basically they want more money even after the rises they introduced on the bin tag for the last 2 years.

Right. They didn't have to pay before that. Do you not think it's about time Dublin people started just paying for the rubbish removal, no more whingeing, no more refusing to pay, etc. The rest of the country has always had to pay for their waste disposal. It was always either that or get a trailer themselves and take their onw rubbish to the dump regularly. Would that suit Dublin people?

Everyone who wants to buy a house is affected by mortgage rates, stamp duty etc. Everyone using a tolled road has to pay the toll. Those things have absolutely nothing to do with rubbish collection.

dame wrote: »
    Everyone using a tolled road has to pay the toll. Those things have absolutely nothing to do with rubbish collection.

yes they do since they are all forms of taxes making there way into the government coffers. Since the government is coming up with more and more ways to hit you. We had the credit card tax a few years ago, tv licence hike now etc, I wonder do YOU pay management fees?. Also this thread is directed at people who want to respond to the charge now being imposed. If you want to start a dublin v's country thread please do so with the new thread button, but its a bit off the topic here.

obviouslky everyone likes getting something for nothing.
    would you country folk not like free bin collections?

its only a small minority who are vehmently opposed to bin charges.
    i would rather not have to pay them, but dont have any reasonable objections.
    as such i pay them.
    i didnt complain when they brought them in and havent complained that they have upped the fee by 60% since its inception.

imo, the scheme is a victim of its own success, "only pay for what you throwaway"
    people now recycle clothes, paper, glass, compost and many more things.
    the more we recycle the less the council makes on the service.

while it makes sense for us to pay less, as more people pay less the service becomes unsustainable.
    i put out my bin once every 6-8 weeks, and i dont have any recycling bins as mentioned above.
    if i were to get the recycling bins this would probably decrease to every 8-10 weeks, at least.
    i dont see how the council can afford to run 3 colletions instead of 1 and take a hit in revenue...

The bin tags were introduced so as those who used more paid more. That was the point to it.
    Essentially yes. However, instead of paying, say €10 per rubbish bin, one is now paying say €100 per year and €5 per rubbish bin. Those who waste more will still pay more.
    Now basically they want more money even after the rises they introduced on the bin tag for the last 2 years.
    The service is running at a deficit. 10+ years of growth has hit the local governemnt sector badly and the a failing to keep up in service provision.
    As someone who has paid more than the odds for a house and is the generation who is hit hardest by tolls, stamp duty, mortgage payments, inflation, interest rate hikes with the economy starting to slide the gov want to screw us more.
    Eh, you don't remember 25% inflation, 15% interest rates and 65% income tax then?
    Well fine! but I want my decent public transport, pavements, cycle lanes, SCHOOLs, playgrounds, clean hospitals first.
    How can you have it all first? Capital investment takes time, gradual improvements are to be expected.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Essentially yes. However, instead of paying, say €10 per rubbish bin, one is now paying say €100 per year and €5 per rubbish bin. Those who waste more will still pay more..
    No they dont. If you take the fact that someone doesnt use the bin service atall (just for argument now) they still pay 100 euro, that is not 'waste more pay more'
    The service is running at a deficit. 10+ years of growth has hit the local governemnt sector badly and the a failing to keep up in service provision...
    not true, it is the allocation of cash that is important. Fingal are not strapped for cash, I have been at a few committee meetings wher councillors have said this.
    Eh, you don't remember 25% inflation, 15% interest rates and 65% income tax then?...
    yes I do, in a time when one person working could afford to keep his wife and family on one wage. We all remember these times but harking back to them ever time is not really any benefit here. That is old ground now.
    How can you have it all first? Capital investment takes time, gradual improvements are to be expected.
    what a loada crap. Tell that to the parents with no places for their school kids, or the ones travelling across the city while trying to compete in a job when they are the ones leaving early (i.e. at normal time) to collect kids and are always late because of train delays, traffic. toll queues etc. Tell that to the thousands paying management fees for houses already overcharged. Doesnt take half a brain to realise build 100000 houses and you might need to upgrade the public transport, overhaul the bus network in the area and uh ..provide schools... playgrounds etc.

Advertisement