Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Blackrock?

Options
  • 20-11-2007 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Folks,

I'm thinking about moving to Blackrock. I've been back in Cork a while and looking around for a place to put roots down.

I like the look of Blackrock ( bit of character, the harbour, the river, the castle, all that) but I don't know anyone who's ever lived there.

Do any of you live there? I was wondering what the place is like - pubs, vibe, friendliness. I think I'd still end up in town most nights, but I'd like a place where there's some social life, and the neighbours'll at leats nod to you when you meet them.

If I thought it was ok, I'd probably rent for a while, before thinking about buying.

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I live in Blackrock, well, Beaumont to be exact, and up until this year, I would have said the area was calm and serene. Unfortunately, it's beginning to get plagued with complete and utter teenage scumbags on Friday and Saturday nights out drinking, and my the garage at house has been broken into, and has had three subsequent attempts.

There's nice Blackrock, nice Mahon, and then there's Beirut Blackrock, and Beirut Mahon. And it's hard to tell where one stops, and one starts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I used to live in Ballinlough, although it's been a while. I'm pretty sure there still isn't a "social life" there. I'm not sure you'd find a social life in any Irish suburb tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

ned78 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it's beginning to get plagued with complete and utter teenage scumbags on Friday and Saturday nights out drinking.
    That seems to be going on everywhere now mate. A consequence of brutal urban planning during the boom times.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Ned78 couldn't have put it better - there's a Beirut in every "village", "Estate" or "green" in Ireland these days - so whether you spend €1million on your new house or rent a tent - and even if you have lovely neighbours with sweet little children who you've been dropping to school for years......... they will grow up and turn into teenage tearaways. If I hear one more person saying "but they have nowhere to go and nothing to do" EEEEK! When I grew up we had a hell of a lot less............. OK it was few decades ago but we didn't hang out and intimidate.

As for Blackrock - never lived there but know people living there and the majority of Blackrock is a nice suburban area. I was door knocking/ canvassing during General Elections and found people to be very friendly, I even spent an hour in one of the pubs early evening before meeting the group and sat there quite comfortably with a newspaper and locals and bar staff were very friendly. So as areas go, I would say "go for it" and good luck with the move. J

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Blacrock is sort of a strange place. Down by the Pier Head is messy but has pretensions to being trendy (the new bread shop) but is still not quite there.

The pubs are really for folk who've settled down (as in wife, family etc) and not hotbeds for young trendy folk.

Now whether the influx of people from Eden will change the place is hard to tell but it is really still a small suburban village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

im in blackrock at the moment while i am waiting for my own place to be ready and its a nice area, people in shops are friendly, its generally very quiet and clean. My friend and her dgt have lived here in the are for about 3years now and they really like it....
    theres always gonna be some brats somewhere doing something......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 conrad c

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I'd be a bit worried about the social life, or lack of it. I was wondering anyway, and ye seem to agree with me - I couldn't name one good pub there, for instance.

The occasional hassle wouldn't bother me, though there are parts of it I wouldn't move to. Maybe if I rented a place in Eden for a while, and took some time to look around?

Con.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

conrad c wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, folks.

I'd be a bit worried about the social life, or lack of it. I was wondering anyway, and ye seem to agree with me - I couldn't name one good pub there, for instance.

The occasional hassle wouldn't bother me, though there are parts of it I wouldn't move to. Maybe if I rented a place in Eden for a while, and took some time to look around?

Con.

The Silver Key in Ballinlough is decent. Nearest one to Blackrock that would be worth a visit i suppose.

Advertisement