Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a kitchen from England

Options
  • 20-11-2007 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

A friend of mine is having a kitchen installed and she was looking at Rock Solid Kitchens in Manchester (they deliver to Ireland), I was wondering has anyone here had any experience with this company?
    They're offering a very competitive price compared to Irish companies, is it a case of too good to be true??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd be careful. Being an avid watcher of BBC's "Rogue Traders", I get suspicious when I hear of cheap kitchens from Manchester. There's a good chance of it being one of the many companies owned by this man http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vance_Miller. If you Google his name and 'rock solid kitchens' you get a few hits which are less than complimentary.

Also see this ...

http://www.blagger.com/db4/company_id/7574/companyname/Rock-Solid-Kitchens.html

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

A friend of mine got a kitchen from England (can't remember name), they measured the work surface wrong and the counter ran too long down the wall. I was sorted but took time as they had to build and ship another counter and press unit from England.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

Thanks for the replies, I heard of that Vance Miller guy, saw the documentry too, that answers all my questions! I googled the company and got that link that shows them in a good light but after further digging I think the best thing to do is buy Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bretttp1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, I heard of that Vance Miller guy, saw the documentary too, that answers all my questions! I googled the company and got that link that shows them in a good light but after further digging I think the best thing to do is buy Irish.
    There is some evidence that a lot of the glowing references posted on some of these review websites were all from the same IP address, i.e. the offices of Vance Miller, so these can mostly be taken with a generous pinch of salt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 guyfromthebar

Hi guys, I happen to be the one who brought this company to the attention of Liveline on Thursday morning, after what I can only now say have been ripped off by Rock Solid Kitchens, The kitchen fitter (Jackie Robuck) came to my house and was more interested in getting our deposit than fitting out the kitchen, She spent 7 to 10 minutes sizing up she got down to price, After her waffle about how great the kitchen was going to be she was also told about my sister in law, who as luck may have it was also in the market for a new kitchen, She couldn't jump quick enough to run around the corner to size up her pockets, sorry kitchen but then changed her mind when she was told my sister in law was shopping around and would like to think about it, Miss Robuck soon changed her mind and said she would call to her next weekend. Only now I went to Cash & Carry Kitchens I found out she couldn't size up a pair of feet let alone a kitchen.

She asked for a 200 euro deposit after giving us a price of 1200 for a full top of the range white high gloss kitchen and got us to "sign" the kitchen planner stating we had given our deposit, Only after we read the small print did we find out we had in fact signed a CONTRACT.

After investagating more into this company I found out some very interesting facts :-

Vance Miller is an owner of this company along with Alan Ford even though he tells everyone he is not. Rock Solid Kitchens are not a Limited Company it is opperating as a sole trader

Miller was convicted in Manchester County Court in June 08 by the Britsh Trading Stand, For misleading and conning people into buying kitchens and fined 90k and also given 6 months suspended for 2 years, Now you know why he's now in Ireland, He has a big fine to pay and Irish people are going to be left with the bill.

As far as I can tell from speeking to the Garda here and the Police in Oldham Manchester, The law here have more powers of arrest for matters like this so if you have been ripped off build up your case and contact your local Garda.

The rep that came and stole our deposit was called Jackie Robuck
    She was from Manchester, Mid 40s and drove a Nissan Almera 07D 72212
    This car was on hire from Budget Rent A Car from October 10th to 22nd and was spotted in Dublin, Cork and Roscommon, she was using the mobile number 086 3742903, She had a number of mobile phones with her that day so could be using any one of them now, but if you have any more info please ad it to this blogg.

If you have been ripped off by this company please contact your local Garda Station or contact Oldham Police CID 0044 161 8568999

If you haven't heard the show follow this link
    http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2008/pc/p...s-liveline.mp3
    I would love to hear from any one who have given Rock Solid Kitchens money my contact new2this@live.ie
    STAY WELL CLEAR OF THIS CON MAN THEY HAVE A FULL PAGE AD IN CITY ADS UNDER A FULL PAGE RED AND WHITE AD HEADDER "KITCHENS"
    REPORT IT TO GARDAI AND UK POLICE
    IT IS A SCAM
    mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement