Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walks or Runs??

Options
  • 20-11-2007 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

I am taking up jogging in the evening and i was wondering if anyone knows of a good spot to go to that would cover 1-5 miles or 10 k ..i know i wont make it up to this for a good few weeks but at least ill have a start

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well you could start with circuits of hartstown park, or up and down the ongar road.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

What part of dublin 15 are you in? I jog a circuit (3.6 km) during the week when its dark around capenterstown I try to do at least 3 laps of it depending on how I feel so its about 11km. At the weekend or when there is light in the evening I run around Porterstown Park excellent spot for jogging.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=6225986973434489225,53.371276,-6.387944%3B18412358791883634007,53.375260,-6.403480&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=Annfield+ct,+Fingal,+Ireland&daddr=Unknown+road+%4053.371276,+-6.387944+to:53.373703,-6.406446&mra=dme&mrcr=1&mrsp=2&sz=15&sll=53.373011,-6.394815&sspn=0.011445,0.029182&ie=UTF8&ll=53.37232,-6.398077&spn=0.011445,0.029182&z=15&om=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Depending on where you live really.
    Up and down ongar road is a good one.
    Circuits of Hartstown Park is another.
    You could jog through Castlecurragh, Warrenstown, down the Blanchardstown Road, round onto the old Navan Road and up Church Road back to Castlecurragh too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Really depends on where you are starting from (D15 goes from Ashtown to Clonee). My advice is head out from your house and run for half your time, then run back - when you get home look at the map and see if you can make a loop out of it. Keep to busy enough well lit roads and you'll be fine, safety wise.

I often run down the length of the Clonsilla Rd from near the Station to Blanch Garda Station and back up the Ongar Rd or vice versa - that's just over 4 miles, but it's easy to go shorter by cutting across on the way down. Or the loop around Mountview-> Hartstown-> Huntstown-> Blakestown-> Mountview, adding in Blanch or Ongar villages if I want to go a bit longer. Or the loop around Riverwood/Luttrelstown as detailed above. There's a few longer runs that I'll do again, but not at night - on the footpath along the Porterstown Rd/Luttrelstown Rd and down to Mount Sackville, or up the hill from Mulhuddart to Tyrrelstown, or in the Phoenix Park itself. That said, I've hardly been out since the marathon - too lazy, too dark, still recovering, but I'm running out (no pun) of excuses.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

All you active types are making me feel guilty.... bastards! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

I live in coolmine,I was thinking going up clonsilla road and down coolmine road down through laurel lodge over the canal bridge and back through blanch village and up clonsilla road:) to coolmine,that must be about 3 or 4 miles is it? how would i find out? you'd swear i was fit or something,i can barely make the train station when late and then i'm b0llixed,but i will persist,my six pack wants out from under the belly..its not too big but you can see it when wearing tightish tops,not into that at all,I wanna be trim but i dont care for muscle tone,i like being skinny,alas skinny with a belly makes me look malnutrition boy...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Use theWALK & CYCLE JOURNEY PLANNER http://www.dto.ie/web2006/jp.htm
    It will let you map the best route and tell you what the distance is in miles and Km and the calories burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

also, in about 6 months there should be a path all the way around the football fields near Ashtown train station, this are has been upgraded by the parks commission, and the track is being provided to get people to and from the train , around the pitches and for runners.

Nice idea for a thread BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

Kaldorn wrote: »
    I live in coolmine,I was thinking going up clonsilla road and down coolmine road down through laurel lodge over the canal bridge and back through blanch village and up clonsilla road:) to coolmine,that must be about 3 or 4 miles is it? how would i find out? you'd swear i was fit or something,i can barely make the train station when late and then i'm b0llixed,but i will persist,my six pack wants out from under the belly..its not too big but you can see it when wearing tightish tops,not into that at all,I wanna be trim but i dont care for muscle tone,i like being skinny,alas skinny with a belly makes me look malnutrition boy...:mad:

I live near Coolmine too and walk up Delwood Road, over Coolmine tracks, round through Laurel Lodge like you said, over Castleknock tracks and up Clonsilla Road to come back up Delwood Road again. It's a pretty popular route for alot of people. Oh and it's about 2.7 miles. :)

Advertisement