Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How safe/advisable is it for dogs in cargo hold of plane?

Options
  • 20-11-2007 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

How safe/advisable is it for my son's 10yr old dog (a lovely Golden Retiever) to be flown in cargo hold on a two and a half hour flight from Holland to Spain? Fortunately, it will only be one-way as the dog (Benson) is coming to live with us in Spain. My worry is, he hasn't flown before and I am very concerned about the age factor. He has a placid nature (more so since he's getting old) and travels well by car and also by ferry but this form of travel could be an ordeal for him. My son will be travelling with him but obviously they will be separated during the flight. We have done all the research into the requirements needed for the flight i.e. blood test, passport etc. He is a much loved family pet and I know I'll be a nervous wreck for the two hours he's in flight. I would be grateful for any advice or reassurances anyone can offer.
    Petunia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Maybe it's possible for the dog to be sedated before the flight. I wouldn't imagine holland to spain is a long flight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Light sedation and the dog will be fine. It's done all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

No please don't sedate him! Its against IATA regulations to fly a sedated dog, and the airline are within their rights to refuse to transport him.

He will be absolutely fine.

Just make sure he is *fully* acclimatised to his transport box.....feed him in it and let him sleep in it for the couple of weeks before he flies, so he sees the box as his safe place, and not a *containment* place.
    Make sure his bedding is clean but *used* so it smells familiar, and give him his favourite chew toy(s) (nothing edible). Tape his name on the outside of his travel box, so that the handling staff can use his name when talking to him....small things like that make it much more reassuring for all concerned.
    I have told you all this before I'm sure?

Was there something wrong with my previous reply?

You are very welcome to PM me for more info on things you can do to ensure the flight goes smoothly.

The last dog I flew went long-haul to Singapore with absolutely no bother at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Hi there heres the link for your information what was discussed at the beginning of this month.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055175615&highlight=transport+plane

I am assuming that you have asked your vet when you were getting the blood test done to do a quick check on his heart due to his age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 petunia

Full medical check-up was planned for him anyway but picked up some very useful tips along the way. Thanks to all who have contributed so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Coonagh Cowboy

I have transported a few pets before with no trouble,most airlines will make an effort to cater to the animal to ensure it's as comfortable as possible.One thing you might want to do is place a small bowl filled with ice cubes in the crate.So the dog will have something wet his mouth with and occupy his time.Another thing as well is to place a small blanket or possibly a rug of some kind in the crate as well to keep them comfortable and warm.Best of luck.

Many thanks.

Thanks for the link, Golden, very informative.

Advertisement