Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Slate your ride !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

'01 Impreza WRX PPP - 78k
    • Drinks petrol when pushed (not really a complaint)
    • Poor OEM speakers
    • Ride quality is poor for rear-seat passengers (not really a complaint from me!)
    • Rear Spoiler obscures rear view :D
    • Water collects on boot lid in front of spolier and poors into boot if opened too quickly
    • Some interior trim is poor, not as good as my '94 Prelude from years back
    • AC is ineffective if sun is streaming directly into the front of the car
    That's it, but there's a lot more positives in fairness :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

2007 Honda Accord Type S Auto..

1. can feel every fold in the road and bump - damn sports suspension..
    2. she likes to drink, when driving round town.
    3. she likes to tramline.
    4. horribly reliable :p
    5. its a fekin boy racer magnet at the traffic lights....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

2000 Ford Focus 1.4 Zetec estate 78K miles

-Somewhat underpowered
    -Slight rattle in centre console.
    -2 rubbish cupholders

Not particularly fast or exciting, but does everything I need it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Firstly, for a 1.5 its sooo slow getting up to speed!
    twitchy steering.
    brakes too spongey
    cup holder is too low so drinks tend to fly out
    ash tray blocked by cup holder
    a lot of road noise
    a/c can get a little tempermental
    That damn N-form dash. (the one with loadsa buttons) too confusing!
    Stereo is nothing great.
    cheap feel

On the upside:
    Handles corners quite well
    spacious for 4 people (incl driver)
    nice seats
    sips de petrol unless pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

2005 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi - 64k km. Only have the car about 3 weeks but here is my opinion so far.

Poor points or more like silly pet hates:
    Space saver spare wheel.
    A little clattery at idle (still getting used to it coming from a petrol car though)
    Fake wood centre dash console is naff.
    Glove box is deep but things tend to spill out when you open it.
    Storage compartment overhead the centre console rattles like mad when you put something in there.
    Air con comes on automatically when you select some ventilation settings.
    Turn signal sound from indicator stalk was irretating at first.
    Storage space in the centre arm rest is useless.
    Turbo lag is noticable at times.
    Brakes are good but could do with rear discs instead of standard drums.
    Rain sensing wipers have a mind of their own.
    Conservative styling.
    Cruise control buttons mounted on the steering wheel and remote stereo controls are not lit up at night meaning your fiddling with them in the dark.
    Same goes with the ignition.
    Smallish fuel tank, only 53 litres capacity.

Good points:
    Good handling, steering is very sharp and direct.
    Standard spec on the Ghia model is very good.
    All round good visability, minimum blind spots.
    Front heated windscreen is a gift from God.
    Boot is large and very practical.
    1.6 is nippy for a diesel.
    Good mpg.
    Comfortable seats.
    Build quality is very good.
    Rear washwipe comes on automatically when you put the car in reverse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

02 MK 4 TDI golf

Glove box and armrest catches/locks break! (easily fixed)

Water feed to rear wiper comes off and destroys the tail gate lock and as a result makes your alarm go off at random (relatively easily fixed)

Handling is a joke (sport suspension is a must)

Lots of rattles from sport suspension! :)

Brakes are poor,far too much brake fade (upgrade essentiall)

central locking fails as a result of either drivers door lock or passenger door lock failing.

Standard OEM headlights very poor esp dipped beam!

these are some of the more common ones and some of the ones that really bothered me at least!

On the upside if you remmedy the flaws such as brakes and handling like i have and are aware of the common problems you are laughing and right now it would need a pretty special car for me to part with my turf burner! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

1996 Ford Taurus. It has the poise and balance of a drunk pig on rollerskates when it comes to corners, understeer, oversteer, understeer, oversteer ad infinitum. 3.0 V6 in the front, nothing in the back! Horridly underbraked. Fords in general drive me nuts over here as they beep or ping so fecking much. Even when you put the keys in the ignition and the engine isnt running, it beeps. Drives me demented. Plus points: very comfortable seats with inflatable lumbar support. Good JBL stereo, decent peformance. Good long journey/freeway car.

2000 VW Beetle, actually happy enough with this. Effectively a Golf GTI 1.8T in drag. The interior build quality is a joke, and the room in the engine compartment leaves a lot to be desired. Snow peformance is poor, but thats the price you pay for summer fun. Naff radio/stereo. Plus points, very economical (by comparison), fun to drive.

Assuming the deal goes through......

1991 BMW 850i. disappointing sound from the stereo, heavy on petrol. Peformance off the line is not-so-hot. Comparatively vague steering feedback. Feck all room in the back unless you are a mouse. Good points. 60MPH+ peformance is decent, classic looks, V12 sounds savage, childhood dream car.

Last "irish" cars....

1997 1.6 Passat. Interior coating used makes it look like crap after a while. 1.6 is very underpowered. Fragile diff pins. Naff stereo. Over-sensitive, over serveoed brakes. No feedback steering. Weak suspension bushings. Weak water pump.

1996 1.4 Ibiza. ehhhh, actually cant fault this. Cheap, economical, just enough room, especially if you threw down the back seats and could crack triple digits with ease if you needed it to. I guess airbags would have been nice and a beefier stereo, but for the price its above what I expected. The forward positions on the gearlever caused me some aches at first for some reason. Still the most impressive car I have driven in that it way exceeded my expectations of it.

@ Mossy, WTF are you doing to cause brake fade on a public road hehe. Heavy engine up front on the TDI but still......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

05 Peugot 307 SW 1.8

Bad points:
    * Strange gearing means you hit very high revs almost immediately in 1st
    * Turning circle is bigger than it needs to be as the max turn angle on the front wheels is too low
    * Windscreen fogs too readily and the demist is slow

Lots of good points too, but those are for a different thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

2002 Volvo S80 2.0t

It's a lovely bus for motorways, but the car is all over the place on any road that isn't billiard table smooth. My old Focus was a fun car to drive. You could throw it into a roundabout at a shocking speed and still come out the other side. The Volvo will just plough straight on. The best fuel consumption I've ever got from it was 31mpg, and that was 100% motorway driving. :(

The car has a "network" which everything remotely electrical is wired into. Any changes, even with aftermarket parts, require a trip to a Volvo dealer for a software update, otherwise totally unrelated parts stop working. For example, if you wanted to change your stereo you cannot just drop in an identical model from a scrapped car. They will only work with the first car they're installed in, so you must buy a new one. If you replace it with an aftermarket one (if you can find a compatible fascia adapter) the airbags stop working until you go to a Volvo dealer and hand over €80 for them to reset the ECU. :mad:

And another thing... The turning circle is a joke, which in a car that's longer than a BMW 5 series is a problem, especially in multi-story car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

2000 gtv with 48K miles.

Im a bit too tall for it!

that is all ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

98 1.6VVL Nissan Pulsar, 60,000 KM

- ABS light comes and goes as it pleases
    - She Stutters when cold
    - Stock Seats can be sweaty sometimes
    - Mirrors dont retracted when ignition is cut :(

Apart from those Minor issues, she rocks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 cnott

'95 VW Golf GTi 80k mls

Plenty wrong with it but most due to old age :-)

Some points that transcend that however:

- [Rubbish] cup holders located on the inside of the glove box. In the likely event that your drink spills, the contents will end up over your paperwork. Would be better off balancing your cup on top of the steering wheel

- Poor delivery of power from engine. Only 115bhp from a 2L petrol engine

- Harsh enough ride. Would accept harsh ride if handing was good, but is not

- Steering is not very responsive

- Pedals are located very close together

Rant of the day over!

It's still an OK car for the money I paid for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

04 Passat tdi 130 sport 60k

-->Suspension, even though its a sport, it still crashes and bangs over an uneven surface. Lower also means chin slaps and hair raising noises from front "spoiler"
    -->Dash, 04 model has a 90's dash. Not impressed with plastic quality.
    -->Lights, Lights, Lights. Compounded by the fact that mine is a UK import and the dipped lights are lighting up about 10 to 15 feet infront of the car. Can be scary and I must get them adusted!!
    -->Windows fog up too easily. Not sure if there is water/moisture getting in to the car.
    -->Tyres, previous owner decided to try a donlop tyre and they are pigs in the wet. Have to change fronts soon anwway.
    -->Stereo, Standard kit hums with the car kit. If I use the bluetooth function, and hold the phone in my hand or away from the radio the humming stops. Uber anoying.
    -->Smokey when starting or giving the boot. This is down to EGR (Engine Gas Reburn (I think)). I had this disconnected and the emissions fault kept coming on so I replaced the hose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

'02 320Ci 65k miles

Thirsty.
    Sunroof robs too much headroom. At least 2". I have to either stop spiking my hair or get it cut every week.
    Loves brake bulbs, but I presume they just wear out quicker 'cos it's an auto.
    In car parks, it always seems irresistible to the type of people who open their doors wider than the space allows. In Liffey Valley I can park it 5 minutes walk away from the door in an empty car park and come back to find one of these twats either side of me in an otherwise empty car park. I sh1t you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

milltown wrote: »
    In car parks, it always seems irresistible to the type of people who open their doors wider than the space allows. In Liffey Valley I can park it 5 minutes walk away from the door in an empty car park and come back to find one of these twats either side of me in an otherwise empty car park. I sh1t you not.

I thought only I suffered this problem i.e. attracting twat who like to park next you you so they can bang their car door into yours. No matter where I park, they will be next to me when I come back. I am convinced if I was the only car in the car park with 1,000 free spaces, they'd still be parked next to me when I come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

jayok wrote: »
    I thought only I suffered this problem i.e. attracting twat who like to park next you you so they can bang their car door into yours. No matter where I park, they will be next to me when I come back. I am convinced if I was the only car in the car park with 1,000 free spaces, they'd still be parked next to me when I come back.
    This effect is a direct function of how much you care about your car.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

1998 Lexus LS400 4.0 V8 auto
    • Heavy on juice (around 18-28 mpg)
    • can be expensive to fix
    • steering a bit light
    • expensive tyres
    • expensive exhaust replacement cost
    • not enough cup holders!! :D:D

hmmm, that's it. Not too bad I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

@ Mossy, WTF are you doing to cause brake fade on a public road hehe. Heavy engine up front on the TDI but still......

Who's mossy? and who said it was a public road? :D

@cashmni1 on the windows fogging up problem - get a little de-humidifier kit from atlantic etc and leave it in the foot well of the rear seats and it will sort your car out in no time,it will come back though - the problem - there are 2 vents underneath the rear bumper at each corner and the rubber seal on them perishes quite easily if you ever have the bumper of for any reason apply a little silicon sealant around the edges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

1995 Mini Cooper Monte Carlo
    • Reccuring rust issues year after year
    • No cup holders:p
    • Over eager breaks (my own fault really)
    • Stuttery on a cold morning

I love it really though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

2001 Alfa 147

Tiny boot
    Tiny glovebox
    Interior rattles a bit
    Costs a lot when things go wrong
    Suspension a bit stiff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Great idea for a thread! :D

02 VW Passat 1.9TDI (130 BHP) - 107000 (almost)

- Has cost me a fortune in servicing in the last 6 weeks (€1000 and the turbo will need doing at the next interval.. in 6 months as I'm doing 20k+ a year - another €800-€1000)

- Rear visibility could be a lot better. On the plus side the boot is huge.

- I have 2! cupholders! AND they work. :p No need to fuss with awkward gear changes either as she's an automatic.

- I think the computer doesn't feel right in the morning unless it's beeping and flashing warnings/mesages about something.

- No steering wheel controls (definitely on the next car!)

- No cruise control (ditto!)

- So hard to keep the metallic black paint clean and I have to try as the suit would get destroyed otherwise. To the other poster who wanted one in black, in this weather you're better off. On the upside, she does look fabulous when she's clean! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

2002 Renault Laguna 1.6 petrol
    Electronics a constant worry. Heater not working properly at the moment, had electric window problem, and Fan belt sensor went (car wont start if this goes!!!)
    Ball joints wear very quickly and apparently on Megans too. According to an NCT mechanic. This is a regular fail with all renault cars.
    1.6 engine too small for the car. very sluggish.
    In retrospect wouldnt buy Renault....
    Lets hope they sorted out the numerous problems for the new model.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

1996 Toyota Carina E GLi

Rattle in the powersteering pump, getting sorted next week.

Likes a bit of Unleaded:p, even though it is a 1.6, but shes an auto.......and i found the kick down:p

not the best for cornering:o

Missmatched hubcaps, hoping to get a set of alloys

habit of blowing bulbs

Had the car for a month so far, but she's going to be mine for a good while!

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Mazda 6 MkI:

-Not as quiet as others in this sector etc. - needs more soundproofing.
    -Elec windows motors seem 'weak'. If the glass gets sticky won't come down without a helping hand.
    - Centre-pocket thingy between seats will not close sometimes - tricky to use.
    -Crap turning circle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

how are people unable to spell the word "brakes"?!

BMW 323i E36 84k miles

Steering can be tram-lined slightly by uneven roads.
    Heavy on fuel in traffic ~26mpg
    No cup holders.
    Could be faster considering there is a 2.5 straight 6 under the bonnet.

that's it. to be honest the fuel consumption and steering are the only things that really bug me. everything else is spot on. best car (of the 5) that i've owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

98 bmw 318is

-
    quarryman wrote: »
    - ditto!
    - Front wishbone assembly, not up to the task (I gotta get a poly-bushing kit)
    - Radio antenna connector useless with after-market stereo
    - One touch electric windows (my h*le, f**king crappy motors!)
    - It takes 20 euro to fill the tank to the half-way mark and another 40 to fill it to the top

No other complaints I can think of, and despite what's listed above, I still love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

'02 Micra (before they went "bubbly")
    • Takes an age to warm up to clear the windscreen
    • Overtaking on any sort of hill is impossible.
    • Changing gear often involves nudging the front-seat passenger!
    • Induces a psychotic requirement in drivers behind to overtake, even when they don't actually want to go any faster (and often slower...)

But it costs half nothing to run and the worst to happen (touch wood) is a dead highlight bulb!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

land9 wrote: »
    - It takes 20 euro to fill the tank to the half-way mark and another 40 to fill it to the top!
    I don't think i've ever owned a German car where the first half of the tank wasn't three times as big as the second half.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

how are people unable to spell the word "brakes"?!...
    that's it. to be honest the fuel consumption and steering are the only things that really bug me. everything else is spot on. best car (of the 5) that i've owned.
    How come people don't use Caps at the start of sentences?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Could be faster considering there is a 2.5 straight 6 under the bonnet.

Heavier wheels can burden the car down on acceleration. Im not sure what size rims you have, but I have fitted 205/15s and shes like a rocket. Taller gearing than the 325i and strangled top end power dont do it favours, but the 323i should pull slighly better than the 325i lower in the rev range.

Advertisement