Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to contain an escaping dog

Options
  • 20-11-2007 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Can anyone recommend a dog enclosure that will contain an escaping German Shepherd?

She can climb and has scaled 7 foot fences. We have roofed her enclosure to stop her going over the top so she has eaten through the chain link surround of the enclosure. We have her in kennels at the moment and she has eaten the wooden door overnight ( a hole big enough for her head to poke through).

Can anyone recommend a brand/type of enclosure that will stop this dog escaping?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭fits

Have you tried cill dara fencing. I've no personal experience with them but have heard they're good.

www.cilldara.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Wow.. sounds determined. Maybe if you think of why she is trying to escape, is there something she is after? Why isn't she content, is she spayed?

If she is just nuts would you consider one of those electronic fences? I believe if they are introduced properly they are usefull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Dryad

Thanks for the suggestion. I have e-mailed Cill Dara and I'll see what they come up with.

Her problem is separation aniety. She is fine once she has human company. We have two other German Shepherds who are happy in our big dog enclosure but she isn't happy to stay with them, she wants to be with us. Much and all as I'd like to stay with her I have to go to work to keep her in Pedigree Chum!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

Try draining her energy before leaving her in the kennel/pen.
    A long walk, Ball chasing session or some other form of training.
    I'd imagine it's not just the separation but an eliment of boredom aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭harlem

my beagle is the same, she can chew out through chain link fence & digs out underneath!

I put in paving slabs for the base (temporary measure til I can get poured concrete in) and wire mesh fencing (the rigid square metal fence).
    I got panels of that that I think are 6' x 10' for approx. €40 a sheet from the local builder providers & so far so good!

Best of luck penning your dog in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I have Cill dara runs and they are fantastic although you will need a roof panel on it and not sure they do them anymore. You can add on panels and make it huge if you like and easy to put up and take down which is why I love them, very handy.

The seperation anxiety could be worked on check out the list of animal behaviour peeps on irishanimals.ie I'm sure one of them could help with it, it's a very common problem.

Also try this crowd http://www.slaneyside.com/kennels/contact.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

How much exersize does she get every day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

harlem wrote: »
    my beagle is the same, she can chew out through chain link fence & digs out underneath!

Our beagle was like this too, she managed to get out of every run we ever built for her....except the last one......

Trick we used was concrete blocks set in poured concrete, with metal posts of maybe 8 foots length, with a 45degree bend inwards in the last foot or so, this went the whole way around the pen, the father even attached posts to the garden wall, as intially the dog would jump from her kennel onto the wall; despite a 25foot drop on the other side:eek:

Yes, she was nuts!!

Anyway, once he had this all done it worked pretty well, except she was able to get out over the gate(which was straight). To curb this he put a big chunky timber frame around the gate....the dog could climb to the top of the gate but couldnt manouvre herself over the frame, despite her best efforts!!

She never got out again!! and I don't think the whole thing cost a lot either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

try a radio fence http://www.petsafe.ie/petcontainment.html
    when the do hears the collar beep they will not go further or they will get a small shock

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

A radio fence will not work on a dog that determined to get out & chances are, once she has crossed it she won't come back because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

radio fences are a useless waste of money and put dogs at risk generally. a solid fence is much more reliable!

Advertisement