Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So you're Sven...

• 20-11-2007 1:23pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

You've taken some time off serenading secretaries and television presenters to spend the 150 million quid* that your boss has given you to build a top team. Who do you buy, taking into account that realistically, Messi, Kaka and Ronaldinho are not going to be interested in coming to Manchester City, but other, perhaps second tier superstars, or stars of the future, might be interested. Especially considering you're a Swedish charmer offering sizeable wages.

* I recognise the £150m story was likely complete BS, but let's play make believe for a bit.

I'm thinking...

Igor Akinfeev from CSKA Moscow, Miguel Veloso from Sporting, Samir Nasri from Marseilles, Rafael van der Vaart from Hamburg, Goran Pandev from Lazio, Dimitar Berbatov from Spurs, Hatem Ben Arfa from Lyon and maybe Joleon Lescott from Everton. Perhaps a bit optimistic in getting all those for a mere £150m, but with Sven's schmoozing and maybe Ulrika sweetening the deal, it might be possible. City fans could then sit back and enjoy a cross between Arsenal's playmaker overload and Man United's No10 overload.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Dont believe its true but if anyone can spend money Sven can
    he spent 1 trillion billion at Lazio*
    They have a decent enough first team and overloading it with players could ruin the harmony of the Squad
    A decent keeper,Left back, Right Mid and Striker is about all they need

*Actual figure about 250m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Firstly the money will be spent in both January and next summer, with the majority after the Euros as far as I'm aware.

Secondly it's important to look at the areas that need strengthening -
    1. Goalkeeper
    2. Left Back
    3. Right Wing
    4. Central Midfield
    5. Striker

Samaras is going in January, to Lazio as far as I know so a swap deal for Pandev is an option. All this talk of Vagner Love, Adriano, Alfonso Alves etc is no use to me. I wouldn't want any of them. Likewise Crouch who is being mentioned as well at the moment.

Realistically we actually do have some great pulling power. But who really is available? Akinfeev is a great shout for goalkeeper, though he is as young as our other two good keepers Hart and Schmeichel. Bit more experienced though.

Wayne Bridge is the left back for me. Reliable, good going forward and an international.

In midfield someone like Kim Kallstrom would be great. Again a proven international, bags of energy and a great left peg.

Good out and out right wingers are few and far between. Ideally the man for me is Quaresma. I think Sven has the man management skills to deal with his temperment and there's no questioning his ability. A big offer would tempt Porto to do business.

Up front we need really two players - one big bustling target man and a quick finisher. Crouch and Owen if you will but not Crouch or Owen. It's difficult to know who's available but I'm sure Sven's contacts will suss it all out. I'd love that lad Quagliarella but he just signed for Udinese this season so can't see it happening.

We will spend and in Sven we trust so here's to an exciting January.

Alternatively we could just spend the entire budget activating Xavi's minimum fee release clause. Wonder if Sven's thought about that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

You've taken some time off serenading secretaries and television presenters to spend the 150 million quid* that your boss has given you to build a top team. Who do you buy, taking into account that realistically, Messi, Kaka and Ronaldinho are not going to be interested in coming to Manchester City, but other, perhaps second tier superstars, or stars of the future, might be interested. Especially considering you're a Swedish charmer offering sizeable wages.

* I recognise the £150m story was likely complete BS, but let's play make believe for a bit.

I'm thinking...

Igor Akinfeev from CSKA Moscow, Miguel Veloso from Sporting, Samir Nasri from Marseilles, Rafael van der Vaart from Hamburg, Goran Pandev from Lazio, Dimitar Berbatov from Spurs, Hatem Ben Arfa from Lyon and maybe Joleon Lescott from Everton. Perhaps a bit optimistic in getting all those for a mere £150m, but with Sven's schmoozing and maybe Ulrika sweetening the deal, it might be possible. City fans could then sit back and enjoy a cross between Arsenal's playmaker overload and Man United's No10 overload.

A Football Manager fan if Ive ever seen one! :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Wayne Bridge is a good shout actully, swap him for Lescott.

Akinfeev is the best young keeper in the game. Well, Cech and co are still young by goalkeeping standards, but Akinfeev is a nipper.

Wayne Bridge is a good shout actully, swap him for Lescott.

Akinfeev is the best young keeper in the game. Well, Cech and co are still young by goalkeeping standards, but Akinfeev is a nipper.

Football or FM?

• Advertisement

Football.

Although FM is based on football last time I checked, so there are bound to be some cross-overs.

Football.

Although FM is based on football last time I checked, so there are bound to be some cross-overs.

Indeed but its not always completely accurate I had George O'Callahan as a star player for Ac Milan in a previous version.

I just wanted to be sure you were making your decisions on having seen him yourself rather than just an Fm rating.

None of them are particularly difficult to see on a fairly regular basis, bar maybe Akinfeev and Veloso, but they both play in the CL (bad memories of Akinfeev in particular on that count).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Carson (if it's possible to snatch him from Villa) 10m
    Chiellini 12m
    Diaby 7m
    Wright-Phillips 10m
    Crouch 12m
    Defoe 8m

Plenty left over from 150 million there. With the residue, buy the following

Sissoko 26 million (plus Michael Johnson)
    Riise 22 million (plus Micah Richards)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Tó Madeira would solve their striker problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Unearthly wrote: »
    Tó Madeira would solve their striker problems

weird, i just thought exactly the same thing. He's not as young as he used to be though, but he still knows were the goal is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Goalkeeper: I'm with mike on this one, Akineev, whever i've seen him he's been impressive. That said, Jussi is at the end of his contract for Bolton next summer, would be a good signing. Also Given would be a great buy.

Left back: Wayne Bridge is a good shout. I think there needs to be more defensive strength. Pasquel at Florienta is also a cracking player to continue the Italian theme.
    More strength is needed at the back, I don't think Richards is gona ever be top top class CB, but I think he could be a top class RB. As such, Veleso would be a good buy but if rumours are to be heard, I doubt that he'll get them. I think Lescott would be a good buy, Ben-Haim wouldn't be bad either.

For Right Wing, SWP if you could get him but I doubt they could. Lennon if he is unsettled would be a great buy too. Quaresma I think is beyond City, but I think Ben Arfa would be a great choice. Infact, taking lots from Lyon isn't a bad policy.

Kallstrom is a player I'm fond of who I always thought could make it in the premiership. That said, Lyon would be very expensive. I think taking the plunge and paying for Arteta wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

Up front, I think once again Pandev at Lyon isn't a bad choice. Julio Baptista I think with the right management could make it in the league, although he might be off to Spurs. Berbatov is beyond City. Alves would be an interesting purchase and seems a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Does he need to bu a load of players, or just a few in the right places.

Richards and Dunne are superb, but I think they could do with a bit extra in defence. Joe Hart has really impressed me, but he is still young and a bit green.

If I was Sven, I would go for a proven goalscorer, Maybe Defoe but I think it may be hard to prise him away from London, so maybe Sven will need to get Tord looking overseas, so far he seems to have been spot on with his scouting.

Man City are coming on well though and playing some nice football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Firstly the money will be spent in both January and next summer, with the majority after the Euros as far as I'm aware.

Secondly it's important to look at the areas that need strengthening -
    1. Goalkeeper
    2. Left Back
    3. Right Wing
    4. Central Midfield
    5. Striker

Samaras is going in January, to Lazio as far as I know so a swap deal for Pandev is an option. All this talk of Vagner Love, Adriano, Alfonso Alves etc is no use to me. I wouldn't want any of them. Likewise Crouch who is being mentioned as well at the moment.

Realistically we actually do have some great pulling power. But who really is available? Akinfeev is a great shout for goalkeeper, though he is as young as our other two good keepers Hart and Schmeichel. Bit more experienced though.

Wayne Bridge is the left back for me. Reliable, good going forward and an international.

In midfield someone like Kim Kallstrom would be great. Again a proven international, bags of energy and a great left peg.

Good out and out right wingers are few and far between. Ideally the man for me is Quaresma. I think Sven has the man management skills to deal with his temperment and there's no questioning his ability. A big offer would tempt Porto to do business.

Up front we need really two players - one big bustling target man and a quick finisher. Crouch and Owen if you will but not Crouch or Owen. It's difficult to know who's available but I'm sure Sven's contacts will suss it all out. I'd love that lad Quagliarella but he just signed for Udinese this season so can't see it happening.

We will spend and in Sven we trust so here's to an exciting January.

Alternatively we could just spend the entire budget activating Xavi's minimum fee release clause. Wonder if Sven's thought about that.....
    I couldn't have put it any better to be honest. The only thing, is that I have Kasper Schmiechal screams liability to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I like this thread.

Man City should try to invest in Palacio. I thought he was going to Barca, and he probably is above City, but they should try and go for him. I understand he plays on the wing, but he can also play striker(at least he does for Argentina). He would be great.

Arshavin from Zenith...I really like this guy. Obviously I don't follow him Religously but from what I seen of him, he is a very good player.

Striker..Pandev? I like the guy, but can he score goals at a prolific rate? He just seems to me to be a 10 goal season striker. If they want someone like this(creative striker) perhaps Cassano would be a cheaper option. He is only on loan at Sampdoria right?

I would love to see Romy with Man City, and I think it is very possible. I could really see Sven paying the 3 MILLION needed in January.

Akinikev is a very good goalkeeper, and would suit Man City. I could see him being one of those players that takes Man City to the 'next level''

Van Der Vaart would be amazing, but I think Chelsea awaits for him.

Perhaps the Gomez guy from Germany?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Ive said it for ages, i would love to be able to see Daniel Carvalho on telly every week. I think he is fantastic. Whoever mentioned Cassano, i think its a good idea, but only based on how a manager can control his temper. He really should be starting every week for whoever he is playing for - i dont know what happened to all that potential!

Carvalho would be an interesting signing, but I am a bit unsure of him to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Huntleaar, Van Der Vaart, Alfono Alves, Quaresma would be worth a shout, Pandev and Daniel Alves maybe worth a go although he probably end up at Spurs or Chelski!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Being Sven, he's more likely to go for Italian and English based players than Spanish ones. I reckon we'll see moves for Chellini, Adriano, Crouch, as well as a goalkeeper and defensive midfielder - though no names spring to mind.

I wonder could we persuade up-and-coming talent like Javi Martinez or Nasri to join?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Marco Amelia and Christian Lucarelli. Considering they have Bojinov and Bianchi they might aswell have the whole forward line speaking Italian.
    Rosini from Torino if he'd leave and Julio Cruz from Inter

• Advertisement

Rosini will never go to Man City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Rosini will never go to Man City.

They're a bigger club and no player there has any links with Juve so it'd just be a case of whether he's leave Torino or not. Not everyone is as loyal as Totti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Marco Amelia and Christian Lucarelli. Considering they have Bojinov and Bianchi they might aswell have the whole forward line speaking Italian.
    Rosini from Torino if he'd leave and Julio Cruz from Inter

Amelia and probaly Bresciano as a squad player would be good.

Lucarelli would be too old judging by Svens transfer policy. I wouldn't like to see us sign loads of strikers in Jan, just one proven big name forward would do for me, (Berbatov would be great but unlikely) and then some chances for the younger players. I think in Ched Evans City have a potential star, he bagged a hat-trick for Wales U21's last night against a French side captained by Kaboul of spurs and featuring N'Zogbia and Goucuff in a 4-2 win. Danny Sturridge should be recovered from a hip injury that has seen him sidelied for 6 months by the new year also. Along with Ish Miller, who has scored 9 goals while on loan at the Baggies this season, City have plenty of potential already on the books, testement to the best Youth Acadamy system in England at the moment, and I hope they get a fair crack of the whip. Sven will have a few surprises in store come January, of that I'm sure, and plays his cards close to his chest. In Sven we trust.

Advertisement