Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mince Stew

• 20-11-2007 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi guys
    Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for mince stew ? My mother makes a lovely one but she is out of the country so cant ask her.
    Any ideas greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chop up 2 carrots and 2 onions and 2 sticks of celery (optional), add 1lb of lean mince made into little meatballs. Crumble 2 Oxo cubes in and add salt, pepper and a teaspoon of mixed herbs. Gently stir in a heaped tablespoon of flour, then pour on enough hot (not boiling) water to cover. Add agood squirt of tomato puree and a dash of Worcestershire sauce if you have it. Stir gently.If you're cooking it in the oven, cover and cook at 180 centigrade for 2 hours. If you're cooking it in a pot, add a little extra water, a handful of barley or soup mix and cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 2 hours.
    I haven't made this for years and now I have a longing for it!

ps; This same recipe works for steak pieces - you can cook it in the oven then cover it with pastry to make a pie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Dizzyblonde has it spot on. The only difference between her recipe & mine would be that I don't roll the mince into meatballs & don't add flour to mine either - I like my stew juice a bit watery.

You could also peel a few spuds & throw them in for the last 45 mins or so. They'll soak up the juices really well.

Advertisement