Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL Courses

Options
  • 20-11-2007 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anybody could recommend an SQL course?

I am a Windows Server Administrator (Server 2003 + Exchange 2003) but I like to branch out and learn all the basics of SQL before I go on and do a more advanced course like SQL Server Administration.

I saw these two course on-line (Course 1 + Course 2). They are not cheap so I was wondering if anybody had done a good course and could recommend it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I recently took the SQL 2005 70-431 Exam, I studied by using the MS Press book, CBT Nuggets, VMs and I work with SQL 2005 in work.

Ginger wrote a great review above about the exam.

You could self study

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Well I'm pretty much a newbie to SQL so I would prefer to do a course and learn the basics then do another more advanced course before tackling the MCTS SQL 2005 (70-431) exam.

I read Gingers exam guide and I found it very interesting, he definitely know his stuff :) The trouble is I think I lack the discipline to study at home in the evenings. I studied at home for the CCNA before and I passed it (on the second try) but that took me nearly a year studying for it on and off. Also, in my experience, I think that potential employers frown upon home study and much prefer potential employees to done a few courses at least, especially if the subject is new to them. It sounds ridiculous but this the impression that I got.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Sorry only getting back to stuff now... BSOD on ecrypted drives means no pc!

Righty, thanks first for the compliments. Glad to know it might be of some help.

Raekwon where are starting from. Have you any experience in writing queries or doing any sort of DBA/SQL Server work?

SQL isnt that difficult, it just takes a little getting used to and learning how to write some queries and how to structure your DB. The whole SQL 2005 stuff, its like I would guess for you learning exchange. Everyone knows email, but only a few people know how to set up the stuff behind it.

If you understand the basic DB concepts you will have no probs getting to grips with SQL Server since you have your MCSA. You will be more familiar with the AD and windows principles stuff than most people going into it. I think your biggest challenge is learning to think in SQL, the whole I want to get this info out like this. Takes a bit of time!

As for taking courses, I think the certs speak a lot more than the courses! Whooo, I attended a course, so what, I have the cert that says I know it!!! Thats me. I am not a big fan of courses because they tend to go at the pace of the slowest person, and I find myself sleeping through half of it. Practical experience suits me better. (Rant over!).

Of course if your employer is paying for the course, by all means. If its yourself, save the cash, get the book, a copy of your prefered DBMS and a virtual PC and play away while learning the concepts at your pace which is about what the course would be doing anyways. There are some decent virtual labs as well on SQL 2005 I am fairly sure which are about as good as the course. Try these.. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/aa718391.aspx .. should get you started at least!

Thanks for the reply Ginger, I really appreciate your help. That link seems to be a brilliant starting point, I'll check out the videos later on tonight.

Just to let you know, I have no experience in writing queries or doing any sort of DBA/SQL Server work. So in a nutshell, I really am an SQL virgin :o

My plan was, to do an intro course so I'll understand all of the fundamentals of SQL it would give me a good basis before tackling the server side of things then hopefully I can go on and get the 70-431 exam in the near future. The trouble is that my employer will not pay for a course because essentially I don't need to know SQL to do my current job. I just want to broaden my administrative horizons for my future prospects.

I know what you mean about courses though. I did the MSCA course and the guy basically read from the Microsoft Press book and handed out notes that he probably found online. But it seems whenever I went to an interview and my qualifications were mentioned, 9 out of 10 times I was asked if I did a course or self studied. I think employers are under the impression that it you don't go to a course then you were obviously brain bumping or something sinister like that. I don't think they realize that the average punter cannot afford to shell out a couple of grand to learn/upgrade their skills.

Anyway, sorry for that last rant and thanks a million for you help. I'll be sure to let you know how I get on.

Well, I aint gonna lie to you.. its going to be a walk in the park.;) no seriously, its gonna be tough.

But luckily you will already know some of the concepts inherently without having seen them as they are standard computing ideas and in the windows world especially such as security, connection protocals and the ideas of backups and such..

Go through the videos and see how you get on. They are mainly the first course and some of the second one. I would suggest if you are one of the lucky people out there with multiple monitors you have the video running on one side and a virtual machine in the other. This will allow you to see the stuff in your own environment and get trained.. Something like a training course. Do 1 video every couple of days and you will probably be well up to speed on the basics. Then its just get a bit more experience in doing the stuff in a work environment if you can.

If you are an MCSA propose a SQL DB with common details for all your servers for asset management purproses. You can use Excel as your info retrieval if you want or a ASP/ASP.NET/PHP or any other type of language to show the stuff back.

Hope that helps somewhat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Bit tired but what videos are you talking about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

BostonB wrote: »
    Bit tired but what videos are you talking about here.

CBT Nuggets, they are kinda like chicken nuggets but for computers :)

Just as a heads up guys, might have mentioned this before in other threads
    though there is a website you can get all the training vid's fairley cheap....

Learnkey, CBT Nuggets etc etc.....
    www.cbtworld.net
    They take paypal as payment also. Have gotten a lot of stuff off them,
    delivered in like 7 days

Only problem with using the videos is that you can't ask Q's!!. Though CBT nuggets trainers are excellent and explain everything as if you were an idiot
    and I am so usually that works out pretty good for me.....

Hope this helps.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Yes great thanks. Sometimes when you are tired you need to be spoonfed. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Or if you work for a Microsoft partner you can get this, interesting deal

SQL Server 2005 Implementation and Maintenance
    This is two SQL courses combined into one. The five-day course will enable IT Professionals to become skilled on the maintenance & implementation practices & product features / tools of SQL Server 2005. For more details on course content please review course numbers 2779 & 2780

City Date Registration Location
    Dublin 3 - 7 December 2007 Register Now
    BT Training Solutions, 2 Hanover Street East, Dublin 2

With Microsoft invested subsidies the cost per attendee for this is course is €550 (euro)

Ginger wrote: »
    There are some decent virtual labs as well on SQL 2005 I am fairly sure which are about as good as the course. Try these.. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/aa718391.aspx .. should get you started at least!

The ones above are free

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the replies :)

Ginger, thanks again for that link. I checked out the first couple of videos last night and they seem very good. I will be sure to check out the rest of them over the weekend and maybe pick up a book or two on the subject. Would you recommend one?

mick.fr, could you post the link to that offer? I checked the website but I cannot find the two courses together, only separately. Btw, I don't work for a Microsoft partner but I am Microsoft certified, would there be anyway I could possible avail of that offer (for €550)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Raekwon wrote: »
    mick.fr, could you post the link to that offer? I checked the website but I cannot find the two courses together, only separately. Btw, I don't work for a Microsoft partner but I am Microsoft certified, would there be anyway I could possible avail of that offer (for €550)?

Sorry that's for MS partner only.
    I got an email from MS this week.

mick.fr wrote:
    Sorry that's for MS partner only.
    I got an email from MS this week.

Damn :( I don't really want to pay over €3k out of my own pocket for a course. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and self-study.

Thanks anyway.

Raekwon wrote: »
    Cheers for all the replies :)

Ginger, thanks again for that link. I checked out the first couple of videos last night and they seem very good. I will be sure to check out the rest of them over the weekend and maybe pick up a book or two on the subject. Would you recommend one?

Depends, if you are gearing yourself for the MCTS exam, then get the MSPress one and the Server Admins handbook as well and you will have to add some more stuff such as XML and SQL design and knowledge. Simply because the book sometimes assumes that are familar with both of the topics. The books online are a good source of info but you need to know what question to ask as well as to ask the question!

If its not to get certification than its a bit easier, you dont need to delve into the more advanced topics but I will still recommend the books

Advertisement