Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checkpoint on Tramore Road

• 20-11-2007 1:54pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else notice the rather large garda traffic corps checkpoint on the tramore road today? They were just pass the ORR and had taken a section of the road with their traffic cones to carry out a checkpoint. Seemed to be just checking Tax & Insurance. Few squad cars and a bike.

Dont think iv ever notice such a checkpoint on the Tramore road, and normally at checkpoints its just two guards and nothing as big.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Getting towards the end of the month, they will be busier for the next 10 days.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Probably true, I saw them doing a speed check up outside Waterford Crystal Sports Center last night. Just sitting there in the unmarked car with the blues on, but on coming traffic didnt seem to slow down. Fair few pulled over.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Maybe checking also for L plate drivers on their own on there first provisional? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Possibly, they did have a young girl pulled over but I didnt catch whether she had L plates or watever.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

me ma was breath tested in poleberry the other night, tis the time of year lads,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

they were on the outer ring road, between the six cross road and tramore road roundabouts last night with their speed guns. i passed them about 10:30. had to slow down real quick.
    and today they were outside the army store just up from the apple market at about 4:30 checking tax and insurance.
    criminals everywhere must be kacking themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

Tis the season...
    big checkpoint on Dunmore Road tonight, outside Earls Court Estate, both sides

longshanks wrote: »
    they were on the outer ring road, between the six cross road and tramore road roundabouts last night with their speed guns. i passed them about 10:30. had to slow down real quick.
    and today they were outside the army store just up from the apple market at about 4:30 checking tax and insurance.
    criminals everywhere must be kacking themselves

I fecking knew it! I spotted them from the other side of the road, and was wondering why the car was parked so oddly.

Is this like the first time they have gone completely insane? Or is it they have been slacking so much, they have to catch up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Nothing to see here

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nothing to see here

Ok your good to move along, move along

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

They were in Sallypark Sunday night doing both sides. Heading abck into town was waiting about 10 minutes in a line of traffic but after stopping 2 cars, the rest of us were all just waved thru. Think they were just checking seatbelts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

longshanks wrote: »

You shouldn't have been speeding! ;)

It' like ye are giving out, wouldn't it be worse if they weren't seen at all!

Sitting on the ORR ring road tonight about 10.30. Oddly enough, they were on the side so cars were approaching from the behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

There was a rather heavier looking checkpoint just on the Waterford side of New Ross late monday night. 3 uniformed guards, and one lad in a flak jacket with a fairly serious looking gun. They were checking licenses, which I haven't seen in years - it's usually only tax/insurance. Anybody hear if there was something going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Fwaggle

Garda car with a speedgun this morning on the Tramore Road coming into Waterford. They're out in force :eek:

Christ, what have they been doing this month? Some load of catching up to do.

Where abouts on the tramore road where they? Its common enough to see them on the little bridge just outside Tramore - well before balindud roundabout. Though the Tramore squad have been quiet enough the last few weeks compared to our Waterford friends in blue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

What amazes me about the whole drink-driving things is that we (and by default the Gardai) know where the repeat offenders hang out. If you pull up outside any pub/social club/sports centre is it realy feasible to think (particularly on Friday/Saturday night) that all the people inside are

a) Drinking minerals
    b) Walking home
    c) Getting Taxis
    or
    d) leaving their cars behind

No, they're not. And everybody knows it. But, as usual in Ireland, if the Gardai hung around outside these places, catching all and sundry, the civil liberties mob would be on about harrassment, human rights, etc.

What about the human rights of the families who have to cope with the death of a loved one due to drunken morons - along with what was essentially the manslaughter of that loved one? Yet they walk away with a slap on the wrist and, even if banned for several years, can re-apply for the licence after a very (comparatively) short period.

We are not serious about this issue in this country - from the top down. If we were then the laws would be enforced....with the appropriate punishment. They're not.:mad: Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Nothing to see here
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Ok your good to move along, move along

argh you fell for his Jedi mind trick

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

wonder if there are any cops on here ..

waiting for the 'we don't have a quota' line.

Sully wrote: »
    Where abouts on the tramore road where they? Its common enough to see them on the little bridge just outside Tramore

Yep, that's where they were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

trishw78 wrote: »
    argh you fell for his Jedi mind trick

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I feel left out. Not seen a checkpoint in over a year. Must be travelling at the wrong (or right) times.

On the Tramore Road again this morning, getting the traffic coming into Tramore from the city. They were parked across from the house just outside Tramore with all the mad lights at Christmas. I hope yous know what I mean coz I'm not too good with places in Waterford!

There has been one or two over in Ferrybank in the last week or so. One on the dual-carriageway at the entrance to the Ardree. the cop had his head in the window sniffing the air. and asked me a few strange questions. Like was this my car. where do I live. What was I doing on the road at 10pm. Odd Very odd.

The last one was on the Rockshire road the last wednesday but I just got waved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cheeky cop maybe he liked the look of you! :D

Clearly some sort of order has been issued for the Waterford/Kilkenny division to pull its socks up.

Mike.

His breath stank of Tayto Cheese and Onion. how do you tell an officer of the law his breath smells without being done for harassment

Fwaggle wrote: »
    On the Tramore Road again this morning, getting the traffic coming into Tramore from the city. They were parked across from the house just outside Tramore with all the mad lights at Christmas. I hope yous know what I mean coz I'm not too good with places in Waterford!

Yup, I know exactly where your talking about. First time iv ever heard of them being there. Interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

After running into three checkpoints in a month , I figured it probably may be to
    have a high level of visibility to keep the pressure on the provisional drivers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

They took delivery recently of these fancy portable flashing blue discs that sit on the road so maybe they are playing with their new toys!!

There was a big checkpoint by Tramore AFC one night last week. Two Traffic Corps Jeeps and a car and those crazy little flashing discs. Also came upon a similar checkpoint at the train station roundabout in Waterford recently.

Interestingly I was waved through and as I approached the GAA centre roundabout a small white van came off the roundabout, spotted the checkpoint and just reversed back onto the roundabout and took off back up towards the racecourse!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

scout353 wrote: »
    They took delivery recently of these fancy portable flashing blue discs that sit on the road so maybe they are playing with their new toys!!

There was a big checkpoint by Tramore AFC one night last week. Two Traffic Corps Jeeps and a car and those crazy little flashing discs. Also came upon a similar checkpoint at the train station roundabout in Waterford recently.

Interestingly I was waved through and as I approached the GAA centre roundabout a small white van came off the roundabout, spotted the checkpoint and just reversed back onto the roundabout and took off back up towards the racecourse!!
    I remember seeing on the news last Christmas that these big traffic corps checkpoints often have undercover cars waiting nearby for people doing this

Advertisement