Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What parts to test first?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭dclifford

Picked up and installed a Sharkoon 700W silentstorm 120.
    Game still crashes.

So I guess it is the graphics card.
    I am thinking of going for the XFX8600 GTS 512mb

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Ithink theres a graphics card on komplett.ie 150/155 euro ,that,ll play cod4 faster than an 8600.LOOK up graphics card benchmarks toms hardware 2007 before buying any card ,you will need at least 50frames/per second on cod4.I think the 8600 is a bit slow especially if you are buying it in 4full retail price.
    NO POINT in buying new card that gives you 30fps on world in conflict.i understand most people cant afford 8800 but theres cards 20per slower at a reasonable price ,200e or less.

Gamer, Have you a particular card in mind?
    i don't mind paying a little extra for a card. Around the €250 mark is OK, but not over €300. At this point in time if I get anything that dosen't crash I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

you know i had the same problem with bf2142 and cod4 and turned out to be a combination of two things, one was punkbuster client and the other was running games as admim. I'm presuming you updated punkbuster and i'm guessing you clicked the run as admin but just in case you haven't just letting you know or its already been mentioned sorry:) oh and go for an 8800gt they're the best bang per buck card as they'll out perform a gts and are only a few fps short of a gtx or you could go for something like the 3870 i've heard its a great mid range card. good luck

IN ut3 demo,1024x768 the ati 2900/512 gets 102fps vs 85 for the 8600 gt .IF YOU can afford it get the 2900, but from the benchmarks i,ve seen the 8600 is a fine card,it should give at least 70fps on cod4.IF you have a hdtv you might wanna get a hd card ie one with dvi,tv out with hd connectors ,or even one with a hdmi out port.
    LOOK at custompc.co.uk for graphics cards reviews benchmarks ,or tomshardware website ,mid level cards review.I,m running cod4 demo, cpu x2 4000 ,2gig ram, medium grahics settings, low textures,no bullets,shadows,reflections,water off, 7300card .IT looks very
    nice, uses 23percent of cpu,winxp .its the most graphically complex game i,ve ever seen, built i only built my pc 3 weeks ago.I,D say it will run much faster on an 8600 card.
    I cant measure it,looks as if i,m getting 25/30fps.its smooth enough to play anyway.Checked my psu ,it says 20amps max ,on 1 connector.

• Advertisement

@ requiem1, When you say admin are you refering to Vista?

Komplett will refund me for the graphics card. I am thinking of getting the XFX GeForce 8800GTS 560M 320MB XT now.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

dclifford wrote: »
    @ requiem1, When you say admin are you refering to Vista?

Komplett will refund me for the graphics card. I am thinking of getting the XFX GeForce 8800GTS 560M 320MB XT now.

yeah i know you have the problem in xp as well but i had it in vista and it solved the problem

get 8800gt if you can afford it ,its quieter,uses less power, komplett may not have it in stock.I think its the latest version of the 8800.TRY and get a card that has ddr3 memory.

I am looking at this:
    XFX GeForce 8800GT 670M 512MB XXX GDDR3, PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI/HDCP, 670/1950Mhz

Expected in on 13th DEC.

yeah, thats even more powerful than the 8800gts ,will play cod4, and even crysis at high frame rates.ITS really a card for hardcore gamers.i think those cars are gonna sell out very quickly when they arrive here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement