Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information on secondary schools in Dublin?

Options
  • 20-11-2007 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the right forum. If not please move or delete.
    I am looking for some objective information to help me decide which secondary school in Dublin to send my children to.
    My children are in 3rd and 4th class in primary school. My wife and I did not go to school in Dublin and oddly enough it seems anyone I ask says that the school they went to was great and all the others are crap.;)

FYI We did "register" the kids at a number of fee paying schools many years ago. These include Andrews, Wesley, St Gerards, Columbus, Sanford Park. We prefer mixed schools and non-religious-oriented. I'm not really looking for people's opinions on the above schools (except maybe people who have kids there now). I'm really looking for a sensible way to select which school would best suit my children.
    Is anyone aware of any reasonably good, objective information for parents to help select a school?
    All and any help, thoughts, opinions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

When mine started secondary school convenience was the main reason for sending them where I did. The school is only a kilometre away so they cycle/walk. Like yourself I wanted co-ed and non religious and found that in the local community school. Very luckily the eldest got in so the other two followed and number four has her name down since six weeks of age.

You will very likely have no bother getting your kids into a private school but from experience myself, of going to school outside my locality it's more difficult to make and retain friends. You have to think of how long a bus journey might be or do you want years of driving them?

If it was me in the same position I would look at the local school and see what the kids are like who go there. If they seem decent ordinary kids then the school is probably fine. Unless you live in a seriously disadvantaged area the local school is more than likely absolutely fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

I agree with Lizzykins in terms of proximity, it would definitely make sense to go to a school that is close to you.

the other thing i want to say is purely my opinion and so might not be the right advice. i wouldnt send children to a fee paying school. i dont think the education you get is any better than one you get from a public school. i think that if, like Lizzykins said, there is an alright community school near you it would be the best option. there, you children will learn better socila skills, they will get to interact with a broad spectrum of people and will learn to deal with and respect all types of people. in my experience children from private schools only mix with children of their own kind of social and economic background, this gives them a very closed view of the world. of course the friends they choose within the school may be from the same background but they will still be exposed to all types of people. in the long run i think this makes a more rounded and better socially educated child.

also, your children will probably go and get grinds in some of their subjects before junior and leaving certs despite you paying for their education already in school. why pay so much money twice?? it should be the case that if you pay for education thats what you get but half the students in grinds schools come from fee paying schools. it doesnt make sense.

anyway,take it or leave it, thats my opinioin.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Here's my thoughts for what it's worth

First off list out all the schools that are within reasonable striking distance of your home. Personally I think a 20-30 mins bus ride is ok, but you may differ. Anything that is not on a bus route (public or school) where you are required to drive them to it should come off your list in my view - it's just too much grind every day for the next 10/12 years.

Then consider what you are looking for in the school ethos e.g. mixed, single-sex, religion etc.,

[Unfortunately you can't get away from religion - all second level schools have a religious leaning - there are no truly Multi-Denominational schools at second level, community schools may be nominally multi-d but in truth they are primarily RC which I suppose reflects the community they are based in.]

After that look at you/your child's interests - for example if you are a very sporty family and your child is also, you may want to consider a school that has a strong emphasis on sports. If your child is very artistic and the school's art department isn't particularly strong, that might push it a bit further down the list. If your child has special needs - check out what additional support the school can offer.

Hopefully you should now have a reasonably short list; most schools have open days go and visit a few of them and get a feel for the place. See if you can meet a few parents from the parents association.

The very last thing I would consider is fees - if the school that suits you /your child best happens to be a fee-paying school, you can get a place and you can afford the fees then go ahead.

another useful link is the National Parents Council www.npc.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Thanks to all for the thoughtful and helpful replies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I also agree that proximity is important - if the school is relatively near your children can do after-hours activities such as sports and still have time for homework and other things. Teenagers need to chill out too and if they're spending a lot of time travelling it's a waste in my opinion.
    My children went to RC secondary schools and there wasn't much religion shoved down their throats, it was more about morals and learning about various religions.
    Lastly, I just want to say that sending a child to a fee-paying school doesn't make them more academically inclined (it's amazing but some parents actually think it does!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

I know people are often quick to knock fee paying schools, but do bear in mind that a lot of these schools have much better facilities for sports, music, art and have loads of other extra curricular activities on offer that other schools can't afford.
    It might also be worth a look at the league tables that I think were published in the sunday times?? last year as they rate schools on quite a few different criteria,and although they may not give an entirely accurate picture, you will at least get an idea about what the schools main strengths are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

Is it just me, or is the idea of the parents deciding weird? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

its just you ryanaizer, who else is going to decide where a child should go to school???

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Kildrought wrote: »
    [Unfortunately you can't get away from religion - all second level schools have a religious leaning - there are no truly Multi-Denominational schools at second level, community schools may be nominally multi-d but in truth they are primarily RC which I suppose reflects the community they are based in.]

Not completely true. I went to Mount Temple in Clontarf (sister school on the Southside is Newpark) and there's definitely no RC leaning there. Now that may be because it's a Protestant non-denominational school, as opposed to the community schools which are, as you say, just not RC Church run. But genuinely, there was no emphasis on any particular ethos in Mount Temple. I suppose the RE classes were broadly Christian, but I don't recall ever covering the life of Christ, or specifically Christian beliefs. It was more basic morals and ethics and stuff like that. Mind you, I mightn't have been aware of something being specificaly Christian, as I didn't have any experience of non-Christian stuff to throw it into contrast.

There was a Muslim family in the school when I was there, back when there weren't many Muslim families in Ireland ('88-'94), a Jehovah's Witness family and a Jewish family, and that's just the ones I knew about. For the most part religion simply wasn't anything anyone was aware of. I only knew of the Muslim family because I was in Guides with them, and one of the JW was a good friend of mine.

I'd definitely recommend Mount Temple as a good non-religious, co-ed school. At least it certainly was in my time. I can only presume Newpark is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

its just you ryanaizer, who else is going to decide where a child should go to school???

the 12 year old child...?

• Advertisement

they are primarily RC
    By which I meant the overwhelming majority of community schools are RC
    Protestant non-denominational school
    Not possible! There are no non-denominational schools in Ireland. Mount Temple is under 'Protestant' Management.

If the school has a COI/Presbyterian/etc., etc., ethos then that is the criteria by which enrolments are decided.

RE is defined by the Dept of Education's curriculum definition (the document is available on their website). It is almost completely Christian in its approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dame Edna

HI All
    I am moving from the sourthisaide and need help as to what non feeing school to send my child to! Its either of two St Pauls in Wakinstown or Loreto in Crumlin can people pls help!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Only know one St Paul's in Greenhills but there is the Assumption in Walkinstown that I went to years ago. It was a good school in those days and hopefully has not changed too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I would say proximity is very important factor. Means the child doesn't waste time commuting and their friends, and people they can share school work etc with will be nearby. Most of their friends will be local too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Proximity too. My son went to Mount Temple, and we lived southside. All his friends in his teens were from the northside, ranging from Sutton to Coolock to inner city.

Years later he's still friends with many of them, by the way.

It's much better if you can have your kids' friends home, so you can know who and how they are, and you can set up homework sessions in your own house for kid and friends.

And friendships work more easily if your homes are within drop-in reach of each other.

It also means the kid can go to after-school activities without having to cycle or bus home in the dark or be picked up, involving a drive across the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

ryanairzer wrote: »

I agree, I think the child should have some input in this decision. I know I did when I was that age. They'll probably want to go to the same school as their primary school friends.

I think it's important that the child's opinion is taken into consideration.

They'll probably want to go to the same school as their primary school friends
    Well exactly...hardly a sound basis on which to chose a school.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

ryanairzer wrote: »

In retrospect I am so glad my parents overrode my choice of secondary school when I was 12. They obviously were wiser than me for some strange reason.

Kildrought wrote: »
    Well exactly...hardly a sound basis on which to chose a school.

Well the child is the one who'll have to go there every day for the next 5 - 6 years. Shouldn't they have some input?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Most 12 year olds if given a choice would choose not to go to school. Do you reckon a 12 year old or a parent would make the more mature decision?

• Advertisement

Ah come on, they know they'll have to go to school. They're going to have preferences eg: Single-sex, local, bus ride, where their friends are going.

I doubt the actual school makes a huge difference to the child's future, unless it's a really bad, run-down, crime-riddled hole.

I was asked what school I wanted to go to, as were my siblings. 3 different schools in the end. We all turned out fine. It wasn't left entirely up to us of course, but we were all happy with where we went.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Dame Edna wrote: »
    HI All
    I am moving from the sourthisaide and need help as to what non feeing school to send my child to! Its either of two St Pauls in Wakinstown or Loreto in Crumlin can people pls help!!!!!

my daughter has been in st. Pauls since Junior Infants, I have found the school absotutely great, but most importantly she loves it. She has just gone into 3rd class now, there is great after school activities, and an after school care if you are working yourself/ I hope you find this helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

my OH was given a choice of secondary school when he was a kid. He could have continued on in Sandford park (his primary) but chose not to. Strangely at that age he understood he doesn't want to limit the types of people he knows by posh kids :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My daughter started first year this year and she chose her own school.

The primary school she was in was a feeder of an all girls school called Manor House in Raheny...most of the girls in the local primary would have ended up there myself included

I dont have anything against the school but encouraged my daughter to go to all the open days and see for herself what she thinks. In the end she chose a mixed school in the same area and absolutely loves it.

Unless the school was a total failure I would have no problem whatsoever letting the child make his or her own choices about it.

I know my daughter's main criteria was subject choice..the single sex school didnt have the same options as the school she is in now and that was her main reason for picking it..I trust her to make the right decision and judging by how well she has settled in I'm glad I did

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

the dee wrote: »
    Ah come on, they know they'll have to go to school. They're going to have preferences eg: Single-sex, local, bus ride, where their friends are going.

I doubt the actual school makes a huge difference to the child's future, unless it's a really bad, run-down, crime-riddled hole.

I was asked what school I wanted to go to, as were my siblings. 3 different schools in the end. We all turned out fine. It wasn't left entirely up to us of course, but we were all happy with where we went.

There's no way the majority of 12 year olds have the maturity or foresight to decide their educational future. Unless a child is painfully shy, s/he will make friends in any school, so letting them make a decision based on where their friends are going is daft (especially when those friends' schools will have most likely been decided by their parents).

At the end of the day, it's the parents who will fork out and provide transport and pick up the pieces if it goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

eviltwin wrote: »
    my daughter's main criteria was subject choice..the single sex school didnt have the same options as the school she is in now and that was her main reason for picking it..

She sounds like a well clued-in and mature girl, well done! However, all 12 year olds aren't like that and usually it is the parents who would be considering things like subject choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

deemark wrote: »
    She sounds like a well clued-in and mature girl, well done! However, all 12 year olds aren't like that and usually it is the parents who would be considering things like subject choice.

you mean a 12 year old has no say over what subjects he/she is taking? That's not really a subject 'choice' than, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

deemark wrote: »

Yeah the all girls school is a very "traditional" girls school so a lot of the things she wanted to do weren't offered.

I honestly would be shocked if any parent picked their childs subjects..I mean surely its not up to the parent to decide what their kids learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

No matter where the kids go if they want to do the work they will do well whether its a fee or non-fee paying school. If you pay a fee you will be paying on the double when the grinds start.

Our eldest starts secondary next year we looked at 3 or 4 schools but settled for 1 which is the nearest to us which is what he wanted.

The child is the most important thing here not the parents wishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Sandra.c

Was at an information day yesterday in Mt Temple, and interestingly even though it is under Protestant Management - Catholic children are in the majority. Yes, if you are Protestant and in a feeder school you will be given priority, but it doesn't mean that most kids going are Protestants.

Advertisement