Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recommendations for strategy based games?

Options
  • 20-11-2007 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

I'm not much of a Gamer, the last game I played was Civ 4 but had to get rid of it as I was playing it way too much and it took far too long.

I'm looking for a good strategy game, not necessarily turn based like Civ 4 was, also would prefer a game that doesn't lasts for days. Just one that I could play for an hour or two and be done with it then.

sorry I know my question is very broad but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to Games.

any ideas or recommendations would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I know you might like them slower games, im not a fan of them. But i did like the total war games, Rome and shogan. Heres some faster games below...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Any command and conquer game, Age of empires 2, Dawn of war, emperor battle for dune, battle for middle earth, Aliens versus Predator: Extinction. That should keep you busy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Command & Conquer 3
    Supreme Commander
    World in Conflict

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

the 3 mentioned above plus company of heroes.

you're done, those for are all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Dawn of War

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

Age Of Empires 3 with the new expansion that was just released.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

World in Conflict. I can't reccomend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

if you liked civ 4 you might enjoy something turn base....like the total war games.

otherwise company of heroes and supreme commander, i havent played world in conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Spunge wrote: »
    Dawn of War

Agreed, defo worth a go and its quite cheap now for the game + expansions

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

it is very cheap, and great fun.....but its also very fast and requires lots of micro management. it would be a big change from civ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Hearts of Iron 2 by Paradox is great if you like WWII.
    Also Europa Universalis 2 if you can get it.
    Caesar 3 and Pharaoh by Sierra are both great and available at bargain prices.

For RTS, a special edition of Company of Heroes and CoH: Opposing Forces will be released in a few days I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

They maybe old but The Close Combat Series is some of the best strategy games with part 3 being my favourite, along with Medieval total war

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Creature wrote: »
    World in Conflict. I can't reccomend it enough.

Meh...

Too little variety in the game - same maps and same units ad infinitum. There is also very little by way of strategy involved. Inevitably each game turns out to be one dominant team steam-rolling the other.

It's worth €20 at most.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

right here we go *cracks knuckles*:P

company of heros
    company of heros: opposing front

^^^^^^cannot recommend those two games enough!

medevil total war 2 and the expansion,but there both turned based games,even though you can go into a battle mode and watch the battles unlike civ4

supreme commander (expansion is out friday)

c and c 3 tiberian wars or tiberian sun if your rig can't handle c and c 3,or try any of the red alert games

age of empire 3,and the two expansions warchiefs and the asian dynasties

sudden strike 3 is out end of the month,get that if you like ww2

thats all I can think of for now :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

medevil total war 2 and the company of heroes games..
    Cold war conflicts - I agree with Fanny Cradock it bored me to tears..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Sid Meir's Alpha Centauri

Homeworld/HW:Cataclysm/Homeworld2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Defcon
    Rise of Nations
    Starcraft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

have a look at home of the underdogs for some good old school strategy games that are now free-ish
    http://www.the-underdogs.info/genre.php?id=10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

em, Warcraft III anyone? Probably only costs a fiver now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Command & Conquer 3
    Supreme Commander
    World in Conflict

agreed on all 3

if there was to be another to ad it would have to be Medieval 2: Total War - its an absolute monster of a game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Wow :eek:, just looked back at this thread now, thanks all for all the recommendations :)

I've seen 'World of warcraft´series of games in stores, I gather it's some online game, i'm under the impression that it's massive?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if you have friends in the real world, don't start playing WoW.. because you'll lose them. every one.

WoW is worse than crack. I'm not exxagerating here, it is dangerous, soul destroying stuff.

Mordeth wrote: »
    if you have friends in the real world, don't start playing WoW.. because you'll lose them. every one.

WoW is worse than crack. I'm not exxagerating here, it is dangerous, soul destroying stuff.

That good eh :p. hmm have a feeling you're not kidding around though, if I got sorta hooked on Civ 4, which tbh was a tedious game I could be in right trouble. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I've lived with 3 people who were drawn into that game and never left... I know of another friend of mine frmo back home too, he hasn't spoken to any of his friends in 9 months.. just been in his room playing WoW.

I have to admit I was intrigued and went to their website and downloaded the setup exe for the 10 day trial, which was a small file, so i ran this and the installation was downloading 3 gb :eek:. My monthly limit here in Portugal is less than that so that's an end to that, probably just as well by the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

yeah don't start playing wow.

its not strategy anyway.

try any of the suggestions above, NOT wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

cant believe only one of the posts mentioned Warcraft 3:D rgiller,i am with you!although it is a kinda old game now(since 2003),but still!there are lots of people playing it!and the very famous WoW is sorta from the original warcraft strategy game...you know what i mean...;)

p/s:interest in WoW?you are very welcome to the WoW...as i assure you that you will not regret...but we dont know if you can ever get out of it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

tba wrote: »
    Starcraft

+1

One of the best RTS games ever made

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I would recommend checking out Battle for Wesnoth. It's a free turn-based strategy game with fantasy elements. Instead of tanks/infantry you've got the usual Orcs/Elves/Undead. I found it a little difficult to get into initially as I was coming from Warcraft III. The turn-based nature means you've really got to plan what you are doing so that units don't get left stranded :). The trailer is on Youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

if you like playing competivly online starcraft and warcraft are the best out there.

Warcraft is my choice, its online scene is unreivaled.

If your playing offline,

Total war series, rome or medival.

Computer AI is stunning and its a great game with epic battles, cant recommend it enough.

Advertisement