Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB - One transaction per day?

Options
  • 20-11-2007 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I went into AIB Blanchardstown today wanting to withdraw cash and also lodge a cheque.

I logded the cheque which went fine, when the teller was done I asked if I could also withdraw some cash from my account.

She then told me "no you can only make one transaction per day"
    She said because I had already lodged the cheque I couldnt make any more transactions and to come back tomorrow.

Is this true? I have never ever heard that before and it does seem like she just didn't want to help me anymore rather than it being bank policy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

That sounds like a load of codswallop. I regularly lodge my pay cheque and withdraw money in the same bank visit - why not? Unless it's a policy only in place in that branch.. which I think is very unlikely. Did you check her name on her name-tag - I'd ring the branch and ask to speak to the manager. It's your money and your account. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 fast1

Just as I thought. She wasn't wearing a name badge, but tomorrow when I go back to make the withdrawl I'll mention it to the manager.

Thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The only reason I can think of is if you needed the funds from your cheque to clear before you had sufficient to make a withdrawal. Otherwise its a load of bs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 fast1

there were definately funds in the account to cover the withdrawl.

I was gobsmacked. Being an Aussie and my first time in a branch didn't help either as I wasn't sure if it was right or wrong. I know at home you can make 100 transactions at the branch if you need to.

I'll bring it up with someone who seems a little more interested tomorrow.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Thundercracker

fast1 wrote: »
    She then told me "no you can only make one transaction per day"
    She said because I had already lodged the cheque I couldnt make any more transactions and to come back tomorrow.

Rubbish, it was obviously her first day and she hadnt got a clue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Definiely not true !
    Once you have a cleared balance on your account and ID you can withdraw it (once its not a massive amount or an unpopular foreign currency etc where you might have to pre order as the bank might not have stock)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Make a complaint to the branch manager about it. That is absolute rubbish. Sounds like she was dying to go on her break!

If you lodged a cheque they'll easily be able to trace it back to the teller who lodged it to your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

fast1 wrote: »
    Just as I thought. She wasn't wearing a name badge, but tomorrow when I go back to make the withdrawl I'll mention it to the manager.

Thanks

When you go back today, ask to speak to the manager and close your account with them. Tell them you're going to a proper bank that don't screw over their customers at every given opportunity. Halifax or PTSB would be worth considering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

jor el wrote: »
    Tell them you're going to a proper bank that don't screw over their customers at every given opportunity.

Does such a thing exist?

penexpers wrote: »
    Does such a thing exist?

Unfortunately, I'm sure that the policy of the bank was not one transaction per day - but the individual serving the OP is at fault. It reflects poorly upon the bank but it could happen in any bank - I've had numerous problems with banks but generally I think it is very much dependent on the branch and how the staff are trained and managed. I closed one account purely because of this in the past as the staff were rude, ignorant and incompetant! I did not leave the bank - AIB - but opened an account in another branch. It worked - haven't had any problems since! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Ok, I can't see any logic in what you did.

You didn't change bank, just branch? Why didn't you just go to the other branch in the first place, rather than closing and opening a new account?

It's all one bank, and you can access your account through any branch.

Paulw wrote: »
    Ok, I can't see any logic in what you did.

You didn't change bank, just branch? Why didn't you just go to the other branch in the first place, rather than closing and opening a new account?

It's all one bank, and you can access your account through any branch.

i closed the account because you can't transfer your account from one branch to the other. When you make an application for a loan or a credit card or any other account queries etc. you have to do so directly with the account branch. That's where I had problems - continually losing application forms, forgetting stuff.. totally ridiculous and time-wasting. I had enough of them and just moved to another branch. I didn't want to change bank because I like the internet banking system and have no problems with them in general!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

penexpers wrote: »
    Does such a thing exist?

Probably not, there's just varying degrees of getting screwed.

I'm no fan of banks in general, but AIB would be at the bottom of my list. Had too many poor dealings with them over the years.

Cork_girl makes a good point about it maybe being a branch related problem, and not bank wide. Any bank or branch manager that allows their staff to have such glaringly wrong opinions needs a good kick in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Must be an AIB thing. I can't remember last when I went to the branch where I took out my bank account for anything. I don't live near it any longer.

I've still had no problems getting loans, or any other transactions, dealing with my local branch. Of course, I don't use AIB, so I guess they are different.

Paulw wrote: »
    Must be an AIB thing. I can't remember last when I went to the branch where I took out my bank account for anything. I don't live near it any longer.

I've still had no problems getting loans, or any other transactions, dealing with my local branch. Of course, I don't use AIB, so I guess they are different.

See that was my point - it's not an AIB thing - it was the individual branch. have never had a problem since!

Advertisement