Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCA - worth it in the end!!!????

• 20-11-2007 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

hi all
    I have been studying for years ie not stopped since starting school and have IATI, BA and QFA. About to do seecond option in level three (P5) but have seriously lost motivation over last 6 mths as I have failed 3.1 twice, which why doing P5 instead of resitting it for third time.

I am hard worker but getting tired of the study lark with full-time job too as I get older.

Just need some boost to get through the next few sittings. Is there any stories out there anyone wants to share? ie of brilliant suceess or laughable failure

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

no stories to tell but it seems like you've put a lot of work in to just give up. It'd be a shame to get no end result.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

well.. for some, exams can be hard enuff.. i was one of them... i couldn't disclose how many sittings that i had on a particular paper.. but at the end i made it... laughing now :D... don't give up, u nearly there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

You re nearly there now just keep at it
    Lots fail the options then fly thru the finals in one go
    I did cima so dont know personally but work with a lot of people that did acca and they say the optionns are harder than finals esp the auditing one so mayeb try the repeat with the finals when u get to that stage if you still havent got that subject

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭u2livecd

Do not give up! it took me 7 years for various reasons..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

u2livecd wrote: »
    Do not give up! it took me 7 years for various reasons..

You still didnt answer the big question....Worth it in the end?

Id genuine love to know.

• Advertisement

Babybing wrote: »
    You still didnt answer the big question....Worth it in the end?

Id genuine love to know.

Yes, mainly due to:
    more money 10k to 20k extra a year
    more holidays
    more promotion prospects
    sence of achievement
    respect from peers
    list is endless;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 zoli

just wondering what is the starting salary for somone with full ACCA?rough idea?

zoli wrote: »
    just wondering what is the starting salary for somone with full ACCA?rough idea?

Depends on (1) Industry or Practise and (2) Location, but I would suggest anywhere from 40 to 50-odd thousand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 zoli

thanks.i'm in multi nationals doing ****ty job(accounts receivable)trying to get out but can't get proper accounting role.Perhaps i went in wrong way!
    Sad really.what can i do.I have spend almost 4 years different role in EU SSC in Multinationals but no relevant experience in GL,Finance.Now doing F6 and F7 with no support of company and hardly any motivation left.:mad:
    I earn mid 30sh with bonus and all but that's not the point.I want to be in place where i'm happy and see progress on my career.Any suggestions?cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steo123

7 years of the best years u life is waste in myopinion but thats just me being honest.....

keep trying to get exams but at certain point itnot worth it

• Advertisement

zoli wrote: »
    thanks.i'm in multi nationals doing ****ty job(accounts receivable)trying to get out but can't get proper accounting role.Perhaps i went in wrong way!
    Sad really.what can i do.I have spend almost 4 years different role in EU SSC in Multinationals but no relevant experience in GL,Finance.Now doing F6 and F7 with no support of company and hardly any motivation left.:mad:
    I earn mid 30sh with bonus and all but that's not the point.I want to be in place where i'm happy and see progress on my career.Any suggestions?cheers.

I hire ACCA students that are further on that you are i.e. P1, P2 etc and pay them 24-27k so your doing well.. just stick at any old job and get the exams over with

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

i think ur lucky lou. i intend on doin accountin myself. havent even finished school. think how much i still have to do :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steo123

:mad:just replying to that message about 24-27k that is seriously %^&& money and is %^&ing people over the starting rate for a grad these days is 28k in any decent company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ninja Bear

Not really. The big 4 pay less than that for a new undergrad who is starting the CAP1 course with the ICAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

That's true. Big 4 is anywhere from 22-26K starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

conbob wrote: »
    i think ur lucky lou. i intend on doin accountin myself. havent even finished school. think how much i still have to do :rolleyes:

Results out on Monday 18th - good luck all
    Hopefully my stigma of failure will be lifted

Conbob- when in school i didnt set out to become an accountant, its just simply something i was good at and passed exams - until now. Which is why am finding it hard> Good luck with your path

Passed P5
    yay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

Congratulations LouOB

Was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I have just left college with a BA in Accounting and am 5 months into a Fund Accounting role where they have suggested me doing the ACCAs or I could do CIMA. Which would be best as I intend doing an economics degree in time and going along the financial route than the accounting road! I just thought I would do something seeing as the company is paying the fees. Also I have registered online over christmas but have not yet sent off my birth cert, etc. Am I still registered to do my exams in July if I wanted to do the ACCAs and how do I go about picking the exams I want to sit and receiving the course material? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭The CCAinsider

Once you have registered and applied for your exemptions, you can do from 1 to 4 ACCA exams at a time. I suggest that you start with 2 at a time as you will want a life as well. Then choose your tuition provider in Dublin there is DBS, BPP and Griffith and the new one, Independent Colleges (who seem to have poached all their lecturers from the other colleges). Generally it is one night a week of lectures per subject, and 3-4 weekend days a term per subject for revision. If you are in Funds your employer will almost certainly pay for class room tuition and as this is easier than home study you should choose it. Ask around at work, there will be other people doing ACCA exams and it will be easier if you do the exams together. The final CIMA case study exam will be almost impossible for somebody working in Funds, it is designed for somebody working in industry and preferably manufacturing.

Congratulations LouOB

Was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I have just left college with a BA in Accounting and am 5 months into a Fund Accounting role

You in IFS in Drogheda????

• Advertisement
Advertisement