Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat5 cable

Options
  • 20-11-2007 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

hi guys

would it be possible to run Cat5 cable from my router in one room connected to the pc, and then run a second cat5 cable from the second port to the PS3 in another room. the distance is about 120ft from the ps3 to the router.

is this possible?

thanks

derek

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You want to connect the router to
    a PC
    a PS3
    and access the net from both at the same time?
    Should be fine. What router model is this? How many cable connection is in the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

hi Biko

it is a eircom netopia.
    there are 4 ports.
    is the distance from the router to the ps3 ok? (120ft)

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I am sharing a netopia right now (one cat5, one wireless) and it's fine.
    Cat5 cables are the common connection cable and have a length maximum of 300 feet (abouts) before you need to boost the signal.

Mind, you may want to check how the PS3 connects to the net as I've no clue how it does that. Does it have a network interface card (NIC) inside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

3102derek wrote: »
    hi Biko

it is a eircom netopia.
    there are 4 ports.
    is the distance from the router to the ps3 ok? (120ft)

thanks

You should be fine. The are different types of networks but the lowest for an Ethernet Network(which is yours) would be 100m or 333 feet(rough calculation). Different kinds of Ethernet can have longer lengths but you dont need to worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

thanks for the help :)

regards

derek

• Advertisement
Advertisement