Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Letting Rights

Options
  • 20-11-2007 6:09pm

Can someone please advise; is a landlord obliged to provide his tenants (Business) access to hot water? We have been advised by our landlord that if we want hot water we would need to install a boiler at our own cost. Is this legal?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

what type of lease do you have, what sort of business? if you were a hairdressers for example that used loads of hot water than i cant see why the landlord would pay. Hot water isnt a right, in fact i once saw a unit at the height of the boom for sale for 150000 with no water to toilet in the unit....

Thanks for the reply, no we're just looking for hot water to wash our hands and dishes etc, nothing out of the ordinary, we're not asking anyone to pay for the hot water obviously, just provide us with access to it. I'm new to this side of operations so not sure what the rules are. Selling is completely different to renting though, you can sell a property in absolutely any shape at all, but there are strict rules on renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Grainne C wrote: »
    but there are strict rules on renting.

for renting homes yes, but there are different rules for business

for example a lot of leases are called FRI, full repairing & insuring. so if i rent off a landlord using a FRI lease, if the windows are broken then I have to pay not the landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You rented a unit without hot water. It was never there in the first place and it wasn't there in the lease. So you don't have any particular entitlement to it. In fact, there could be a clause about alterations in your lease that would prevent you from modifying the water system without the landlord's position.

It would probably be different if you'd rented it as somewhere to live.

I'd say you're going to have to buy a boiler here.

Advertisement