Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Managment Training Course

Options
  • 20-11-2007 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Anyone know of any course that you can do to help you get a job as a trainee manager. I am 24, have 4 years retail experience and 4 years bars experience 2 years as a bar manager. I'm looking to get in to retail sales management. I live in north west Ireland and would be willing to travel.
    Any help or advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I can't help with any courses but if you really want to get into this sector then Lidl or Aldi are always looking for store/area managers.

Be Warned!!!

I know from experience (I am sure someone will come on to disagree with me, but anyhoo) the salaries can be high but these companies can be very difficult to work for. Be prepared to sacrifice your personal/social life as they look for total commitment.

I will give you a couple of examples, I was employed as a Distribution Manager a number of years ago working "normal" hours Mon-Fri. On my first day I was told that I would be working the "late shift" from 3pm until finish (normally 2-3am I found out). I said that wasn't what I agreed to in the contract and was unable to work those hours due to my personal circumstance but I was told "If you won't work these hours then you can go". So I did.

I met another guy a couple of years ago who worked for one of these companies as an Area Store Manager, he said he was working outrageous hours and wasn't allowed to take a day off because he had so much work to do - so he quit as well.

Both of these companies probably count as the largest employers in the retail sector at the moment but I have heard they have a very high turnover of staff (now I know why) - when I was there I was introduced to one of their "long serving" guys who was there for a whole 7 months - not long term in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I've no personal experience in the two companies mentioned above, but I have been told by people who have worked there and a career adviser that you will have no time for friends or family. However it's fast paced and you will learn a lot in a short period of time.

There is all sorts of retail too. Electrical, food, clothing etc Sadly I don't know any direct routes into these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Re: Aldi/Lidl: a friend of mine started a job with one of them in some sort of IT management role. After 3 days he quit due to many breaches of contract on their part.

Back on topic, I suggest the OP check the Irish Management Institute courses and night courses in local VECs.

Advertisement