Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Strike

Options
  • 20-11-2007 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Now that the ESB unions have served strike notice, what can we do to prevent blackouts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

juuge wrote: »
    Now that the ESB unions have served strike notice, what can we do to prevent blackouts?
    Eat before you start drinking, and avoid tequilla

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm not sure if we can do anything to prevent blackouts, except avoiding any unnecessary fooling around with electricity.

But the thing they're protesting against, AFAIK the separation of the ESB into te generating stations, ESB and the national grid, Eirgrid is absolutely essentail if there's ever to be any improvement in the electricity market here either cost-wise or environmentally.

So I could stand a short blackout or two if it means showing these tw*ts we're serious about the split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

The average wage in the ESB is currently 70,000 euro per annum + pension etc and they now want to make us all suffer in order to maintain their privilaged non-competitive positions - Bring in the army..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Great! They could have "thrown the rattle" back when it was warm but no they wait.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

juuge wrote: »
    The average wage in the ESB is currently 70,000 euro per annum + pension etc and they now want to make us all suffer in order to maintain their privilaged non-competitive positions - Bring in the army..

€110,000 at Poolbeg.

ESB cost Ireland €100m a year in inefficiency and overpaying staff. I wonder how much sympathy they will get if they do go on strike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Great! They could have "thrown the rattle" back when it was warm but no they wait.

Mike.
    They couldn't use the people as hostages if the weather were nice and the days were long.

There's a piece of land around a carpark near the blessington lakes which belongs to the ESB and every week in the summer two lads (esb employees) with two petrol lawnmowers spend the best part of a day cutting the grass. It's about half an acre, and I am reliably informed that they have recently been given a ride-on mower. It could only happen in Ireland.

I agree with juuge.
    I've a generator so they can strike away if they want,it won't affect me.

Tristrame wrote: »
    I agree with juuge.
    I've a generator so they can strike away if they want,it won't affect me.

Now ye're talkin'.........I've had just about enough of this poxy country.

Lol
    You're not sleepy in disguise are ya ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

To answer the OP's question, Tristame's plan of the generator is the way to go, though they can destroy some sensitive equipment quite easily and should be used sparingly and with caution.

As for the ESB employees being overpaid, I'm not so sure. Almost all ESB employees (bar maybe those cutting the grass:)) are very highly qualified engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Very few people not working in power plants run the risk of being completely obliterated in an accident.

Is this not just the boys in Eirgrid will need to be bought out of their shareholding in the esb and the non eirgrid boys will be looking for something to grease the wheel too?

esb staff owning a significant proportion of the company and all that.

yeah, esb staff are well paid but I still can't get cheaper electricity of a private sector guy paying peanuts. cough West Offaly Power cough

cast_iron wrote: »
    To answer the OP's question, Tristame's plan of the generator is the way to go, though they can destroy some sensitive equipment quite easily and should be used sparingly and with caution.

As for the ESB employees being overpaid, I'm not so sure. Almost all ESB employees (bar maybe those cutting the grass:)) are very highly qualified engineers.

There are of course engineers, but I'm not so sure about them being 'Highly' qualified !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Let 'em strike. I don't take kindly to being blackmailed by a workforce that have been independently audited as being overpaid. If it means no telly for a couple of nights a week so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Sleepy wrote: »
    Let 'em strike. I don't take kindly to being blackmailed by a workforce that have been independently audited as being overpaid. If it means no telly for a couple of nights a week so be it.

if they strike or not there's a good chance we'll have blackouts anyway I've heard. too much stress on the grid apparently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Sleepy wrote: »

Me too, I'll gladly sit in the dark for a while to teach those c*nts a lesson in reality. Unfortunately it won't be up to us to break striking workers backs, it'll be up to our government. (breath isn't held btw)

You can tell who has oil-fired central heating on this thread! :)

Mike.

Oil fired central heating relies on electricity, the control systems and some boilers.

Doh! you're right. Okay a fireplace then.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭markpb

It'll be a different story when they realise there'll be no boards if that happens ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It's a bad time of year for old people and young children with the possibility of no heating etc. G'wan the ESB, fair play lads :rolleyes:

Tristrame wrote:
    I agree with juuge. I've a generator so they can strike away if they want,it won't affect me.

If you're hooking up your whole house, make sure you have a change-over switch or a means to isolate the redundant supply network. Otherwise you will back-feed up the network, it's a common cause for Engineer Fatalities.

Advertisement