Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travel for people in their 50's

• 20-11-2007 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Myself and my husband are in our early 50's and hope to retire in the next year of so.
    I would love to travel from New York right across the US to California.
    My hubby would like to travel in Asia. Hopefully we'll do both. We would hope to be away for about a month at a time.
    Would we be better to arrange our own itinerary and accommodation or go on organised tours? Are there any tours similar to Contiki for our age group?
    What about buying one of those around the world air tickets and doing the 2 trips in one go, but of course we would need to stay away a bit longer for that. Would this be a good idea? After nearly 40 years teaching I really want us to treat ourselves and would like some comfort travelling, but the bank account won't be bottomless at the same time!
    So good value for money at the best prices and comfort are all important. Not looking for much!! Any advice anyone, please? Would much appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Best organise it your selves within america. Hotels and flights easily booked online- I'd recommend you try a vast spectrum of Airlines within the USA. Virgin America are excellent (a new startup) fares very low, excellent service. Only have a few flights mind, most out of LAX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

The fact that you are 50 shouldnt really be an issue.
    You could try the likes of adventurecompany.co.uk, they organise small group tours, up to 16 people, to interesting locations using local travel guides. I used them before and there were people of all ages on the trip. Good atmosphere and you get to meet like minded travellers. Local guides can provide good insight into the countries you visit and reduce the hassle of travelling, especially helpful for Asia, Middle east Africa etc.
    allpointseast.com is another you could try.
    Both might be a bit pricey tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I would suggest organising tours when you get there is best. It will be cheaper and you can see a better range of what is on offer and you're not stuck to the same people all the time.

Do a good bit of research before you leave on various travel forums and websites and they should give you an idea of what to do. Also, meeting travellers out and about in where you're staying can give you information on what's good and what's not. There are stickies at the top of these pages on good travel websites recommended by other boards.ie users.

Advertisement