Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GeForce 8 series programming with CUDA

Options
  • 20-11-2007 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭

i've been reading about CUDA now for few months, interested in all the hype, and want to start programming these GPUS for cpu intensive processes, so i've ordered an 8800 GTS to get started.

has anyone here yet made some attempts to write code for them?
    whats your opinion on the process, is it difficult, easy? and what are the main problems in converting ordinary applications into gpu compatible code??

as i understand, the programmer has to develop a kernel to run in the chipset, how difficult is that?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Haven't done anything with CUDA specifically, but I don't think it's that difficult. The 'kernel' isn't as complicated as you might think (not like the OS kernel), but rather the operations that runs on the stream data passed through it. Could be as simple as adding one to every value.

The main problem you'll probably come across is a conceptual one, thinking of your data as a stream, how the operations on that stream interact and the limitations that it imposes. And even then it's not that difficult to grasp.

You want to get yourself over to GPGPU.org, you'll find plenty of people over there doing the same sort of stuff. Interesting papers too.

Advertisement