Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to stick with DX9 system?

Options
  • 20-11-2007 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering if there is any consensus or thoughts about how long to stick with a DX9-based system? I've got a AMD 64 X2 4200+, 2GB RAM, GeForce 7900GT 256MB, XP Home PC that has served me well for the past 18 months, but I've decided to hold off buying Crysis and other DX10-focused games until I build a decent system to run them. That said, I don't want to jump in now and miss out on the real graphical improvements coming by upgrading too early. Anyone else planning to upgrade to Vista / DX10 soon and what are you waiting for to do so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

At the very least I'd wait for this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX#DirectX_10.1

Personally I was planning to upgrade my PC over the summer but the slow uptake of Vista and anything worthwile in DX10 has put that off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

When you can afford to upgrade then that would be the time. Just check about for the hardware updates. You may end up buying a GFX card, for example, just as a newer, better one is coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

ionapaul wrote: »
    Hey all,

Just wondering if there is any consensus or thoughts about how long to stick with a DX9-based system? I've got a AMD 64 X2 4200+, 2GB RAM, GeForce 7900GT 256MB, XP Home PC that has served me well for the past 18 months, but I've decided to hold off buying Crysis and other DX10-focused games until I build a decent system to run them. That said, I don't want to jump in now and miss out on the real graphical improvements coming by upgrading too early. Anyone else planning to upgrade to Vista / DX10 soon and what are you waiting for to do so?

You've a very similar set up to me except I have the AMD 64 fx55 and a GEForce
    7800GTS 512MB which is pretty much the AGP equivalent of the 7900GT. At least you have a PCI express (I think) motherboard. If I upgrade now, I'll have to change the motherboard, processor and graphics card at the same time.
    I've been thinking of just starting from scratch and getting a new machine instead of tearing this one apart again. I hate replacing motherboards as it takes me ages to fit them into the case. I have still yet to install my free Vista home premium that I got at that MS Expo last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

ionapaul wrote: »
    Hey all,

Keep it until you find a game you can't run.

A dual core cpu and a half dacent gfx card will play anything these days on a monitor 19" or less.

I would look at upgrading the gfx card in a little while if you find the the 7900GT doesn't cut the mustard for you.

TBH hold off for as long as possible, tech can only get cheaper/faster the longer you leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Didn't the recent Steam survey show that 4% of machines surveyed were DX10 compatible? I'd wait a while. I'm pretty much along the same lines of Ciaran, was planning a summer upgrade but am likely to prolong that, probably have a new system by the years end though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Didn't the recent Steam survey show that 4% of machines surveyed were DX10 compatible? I'd wait a while. I'm pretty much along the same lines of Ciaran, was planning a summer upgrade but am likely to prolong that, probably have a new system by the years end though.

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

Tis a whole 7.35% of users.

Only 35.19% of users have a dualcore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

7.35% isn't as low as I thought (obviously :p) but I still think it shows where it is at the moment. (This has to be one of the most useless sentences I have ever constructed)

Oh and thanks for not being lazy and finding the link for me! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

When one looks at how stunniing COD4 looks and its dx9 there is no rush to dx10 imo.
    I dont see huge difference in cyrsis or world in conflict in dx10 compared to dx9.
    Same said for freebie game i got with my gfx card lost planet,doesnt look much different.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I have Vista, a 8800 and still run games in DX9, imo it looks great in DX9, and performance is FAR superior in DX9, I noticed horrible hitching in Bioshock, Crysis etc in DX10 mode, running in DX9 more they run much better, I'd deffo wait!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wow --- that Valve survey threw up something amazing.
    The majority, almost 10%, have an nVidia 8800-based card :eek:

@OP: DX10 is a load of unfulfilled promises (so far) -- stick to DX9.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ive ordered a new pc with vista64 and an 8800gtx card, do I have an option to run stuff in either Dx9 and Dx10 or am I only able to run stuff in dx10?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You generally get a choice. Most games so far (I think) generally have a "high" graphics setting and then a "Very High" setting that's DX10 only.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

personally i dont really see any reason to rush to dx10. if you look up various sites comparing the two there seems to be very little difference...apart from a big performance hit.

eg. in company of heroes you get "litter objects" and the only other difference visible in the gallery of screenshots was slightly better explosion effects.

im going to buy a dx10 capable card soon but its just to run dx9 stuff and tide me over till my new computer. my current graphics card is just sh*t)
    planning on buying/building a dx10 pc in about a year.

Advertisement