Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reversing around a corner.

Options
  • 20-11-2007 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

I just have a quick question regarding the reversing around a corner maneuver. Imagine a typical scenario where i have just started my maneuver and have begun to reverse around a corner, what's the procedure for dealing with a car who has come up behind me with the intention of turning left onto the road i have just left?(apologies if that's hard to understand) Should i just stop the maneuver and wait?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Yep, you just stop. they will ider wait for your to finish or drive around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Dr.Millah wrote: »
    Yep, you just stop. they will ider wait for your to finish or drive around you.

Yeah, i figured that'd be the right thing to do, thanks

Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Caychadh

I just did my first ever 'reversing around a corner' today while practicing the Raheny test route. I'm so chuffed. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Do stop, and see what they do. They should realise what you are doing, and will probably move around you and go on, and you can finish the reverse manoeuvre.

If they sit there and show no signs of moving, move forward again to the position where you started the corner reverse. Once they have continued on their way, start the manouevre again.

If you just continue sitting there and they show no signs of moving, you could get a fault for causing an obstruction to traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Do stop, and see what they do. They should realise what you are doing, and will probably move around you and go on, and you can finish the reverse manoeuvre.

If they sit there and show no signs of moving, move forward again to the position where you started the corner reverse. Once they have continued on their way, start the manouevre again.

If you just continue sitting there and they show no signs of moving, you could get a fault for causing an obstruction to traffic.

Yeah, that's grand, there's always going to be something like that to keep me on my toes, well i've got my test in a little over 12 hours. AGH!, it's in churchtown unfortunately, but i've been told i should pass without to much bother by my instructor, let's hope so anyway.
    Thanks for the advice, it helped to calm my pre test jitters,
    Cheers,
    Alan,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A reversing vehicle NEVER has right of way. Always stop and assess the situation.

In fairness, many of the locations for reversing are at junctions that are quite wide and usually in residential areas. Many residents will be aware of the scenario and may act appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

A reversing vehicle NEVER has right of way. Always stop and assess the situation.

In fairness, many of the locations for reversing are at junctions that are quite wide and usually in residential areas. Many residents will be aware of the scenario and may act appropriately.
    The only real situation where you will be automatically at fault if you are rear-ended.

Also there is no accounting for stupidity and ignorance. The amount of times, after giving plenty of warning, then indicators, reversing lights, that people pull right up behind you when you are preparing to reverse park.
    I think they need longer canes.

wil wrote: »
    Also there is no accounting for stupidity and ignorance. The amount of times, after giving plenty of warning, then indicators, reversing lights, that people pull right up behind you when you are preparing to reverse park
    .....or attempting to reverse a truck into a narrow entrance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Quick question; is use of the left hand indicator mandatory whilst reversing left around the corner during the test (or during normal road use)? I've never actually been instructed in the art and apart from in car parks it's not something I normally ever do...

Wertz wrote: »
    Quick question; is use of the left hand indicator mandatory whilst reversing left around the corner during the test (or during normal road use)? I've never actually been instructed in the art and apart from in car parks it's not something I normally ever do...
    There is no requirement to use a directional indicator while reversing as a reversing vehicle never has right of way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement