Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Des Cullen Style Reg Plates

Options
  • 20-11-2007 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

A car back into me yesterday. Very little damage done but my front registration plate took a bit of a hammering.

I really like the style / font of the reg plates that all the Des Cullen cards have and I was wondering wether anyone knows where they got them done up or what type of style it is called.

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

do you mean the chrome surround or the big font?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭irish.rugby.fan

The large font.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Any halfords would do that for you - they're not as strict as they should be (for reg plates)

Any idea if halfords in Blanch do reg plates?

I believe they do, Liffey Valley branch definitely do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Unfortunately Halfords have to be strict at times. People are given an earfull for messing with the programs. So i'd say you'd be better of going to one of the smaller auto shops :)

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    Unfortunately Halfords have to be strict at times. People are given an earfull for messing with the programs. So i'd say you'd be better of going to one of the smaller auto shops :)

And rightly so - dressed up reg plates (OTT ones, not just a bolder font) are nearly as bad as permanently switched on fogs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

What I would like to know is that are there any other countries within the EU that do this? It's totally unheard of in Scandinavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

deman wrote: »
    What I would like to know is that are there any other countries within the EU that do this? It's totally unheard of in Scandinavia.
    It seems to be pretty much a UK/Ireland thing for some reason or another. Try it somewhere like Germany and you'll be stopped and fined within seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

if you live near blanch, dunboyne autoparts will do them for you got mine there, make sure you ask for the bold font etc €50 for plates and chrome surrounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Alun wrote: »
    It seems to be pretty much a UK/Ireland thing for some reason or another. Try it somewhere like Germany and you'll be stopped and fined within seconds.

I sold my car to someone in the UK and they loved the German style font on it but said they would be fined on the spot by the Police for doing that to a UK reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I sold my car to someone in the UK and they loved the German style font on it but said they would be fined on the spot by the Police for doing that to a UK reg.
    You still see them quite a lot over there though, and owners of so-called vanity-plates are the worst offenders. They also go in for replacing the 'GB' text and EU flag part with English/Scottish/Welsh/Cornish flags as well, either that or not have anything there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Same in Finland here.

And if a garda decided he was having a bad day, he could have anyone (in Ireland of course) fined over €1,200 for not having regulation plates.

Yes!!! Twelve hundred Euro!!

But has it ever happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

If its german pressed plates you are referring to try

http://www.autosystems.ie/catalog/index.php?cPath=92&osCsid=9jsngg7dlac7019sg07808uvr2

I have got 2 sets of proper german pressed plates from him,he gets them pressed in germany and shipped to your door for around 60 euro,as far as i know halfords don't have the equpiment to press plates.

Edit: the work better if you get them without the county,i have never had any hassle from the gaurds over these,and i still have my bog standard mucky irish ones for the NCT,also get your self some german plate holders that way you dont have to drill the nice shiney plates

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They also go in for replacing the 'GB' text and EU flag part with English/Scottish/Welsh/Cornish flags as well, either that or not have anything there at all.

The Scottish, Welsh and nothing at all are actually allowed. English and Cornish aren't I believe, neither is IRL, as seen on a number of plates in certain parts of the north... 99% of northern series plates are printed/pressed with no flag for obvious reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MYOB wrote: »
    The Scottish, Welsh and nothing at all are actually allowed. English and Cornish aren't I believe, neither is IRL, as seen on a number of plates in certain parts of the north... 99% of northern series plates are printed/pressed with no flag for obvious reasons!

Was it not recently changed so that only Euro plates are allowed?

Stekelly wrote: »
    Was it not recently changed so that only Euro plates are allowed?

Nothing I've found suggests that. Although apparently some muppets in the UK registered the EU flag/GB combination as a registered design and have been trying to claim royalties on reg plates! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Standard Font / Spacing on number plates is actively enforced in the UK due to the Number plate recognition software being used. If plates aren't standard then it confuses the system.

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that NPR is scheduled to be introduced over here at some point, so I'm sure the Gardai will start to enforce standard number plates - as much as they enforce the other flagrant flouting of the traffic laws :rolleyes:

Yeah, but spacing/font isn't affected by the presence (or content) of a blue strip at the side - its still not required there.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

R.O.R wrote: »
    Standard Font / Spacing on number plates is actively enforced in the UK due to the Number plate recognition software being used. If plates aren't standard then it confuses the system.

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that NPR is scheduled to be introduced over here at some point, so I'm sure the Gardai will start to enforce standard number plates - as much as they enforce the other flagrant flouting of the traffic laws :rolleyes:
    It is used here, although more for general crime than trafffic offences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

R.O.R wrote: »

I am sure they can teach the software all types of fonts, any recognition software i have used allowes the user to teach new styles/fonts.

oleras wrote: »
    I am sure they can teach the software all types of fonts, any recognition software i have used allowes the user to teach new styles/fonts.

At hugely higher resolutions, you can. At the low resolution a NPR camera can catch a plate thats many metres away from it, and moving, at - it can't. Hence the enforced font. Also, multiple types of font means that compatibility is a moving target.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You still see them quite a lot over there though, and owners of so-called vanity-plates are the worst offenders. They also go in for replacing the 'GB' text and EU flag part with English/Scottish/Welsh/Cornish flags as well, either that or not have anything there at all.

I was behind one of those BMW SUV things yesterday that had the BMW logo instead of the EU stars, black surrounding it (instead of blue), and the italic font. :rolleyes:

So the Des Cullen style reg plates are just the regular font in bold.

They are not a different font, no?

Example:

Advertisement