Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance changing....

Options
  • 20-11-2007 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I dont think thats true. Didn you try other insurance companies? Quinn might quote you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think if you have the car and try at least 3 insurers that will not quote you, the first one you contacted is obliged to give you a quote. So this is perfect once you have €6k+ to spend on insurance. Go for it. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

tuxy wrote:
    I think if you have the car and try at least 3 insurers that will not quote you, the first one you contacted is obliged to give you a quote. So this is perfect once you have €6k+ to spend on insurance. Go for it. :)

Urban legend. 6k for insurance- would normally be a sufficient deterent for a 17 year old though.

I'd advise give Hibernian a call- and offer to do their Ignition course.

A 1.6l for a 17 year old is a little unusual though?

smccarrick wrote: »
    Urban legend. 6k for insurance- would normally be a sufficient deterent for a 17 year old though.

Oh, I have head this said time and time again on boards. But not too surprised its a urban legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Quinn is your best bet have a 106 GTI insured for 800 quid, 23 with full licence and 5 years ncb.
    also Tesco car insurance
    Richard britton
    hibernian
    AA
    google for more

23 with full licence and 5 years ncb.
    Most insurance companies would be happy to take you on , you are fairly low risk. 17 without a ncb, big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

suppose so, i remember i was in the same boat, 3500 for a 1.1 first time insurance. they still wont quote me on the car i want tho, honda S 2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

I am 18 with full licence and 1 year driving experience. Took out my oun policy fully comp on a 1.4l saxo vtr and it was €2100, 3 months later got a glanza turbo and transferred it across to tpft cover on the glanza and it only cost me an extra €90. It's insured as what it is, and they done it there and then with no hassle. a few questions and i was happily driving around in it. im with quinn by the way

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't see the fuss with Levins to be honest. I've seen a good few of them in the garage, and they're not worth the high purchase price/high insurance cost in my opinion.

Do they come with those huge annoying exhausts as standard?
    I have never seen a levin with a normal exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I had the same problem two years back OP but with a different car,your current insurer doesnt by law have to quote you to begin with,if they refuse you need to provide 3 refusal letters from other companies,then get back onto them for which they are then obliged to quote you.

The only problem is the quote could be any number you could think of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

eireal wrote: »
    I had the same problem two years back OP but with a different car,your current insurer doesnt by law have to quote you to begin with,if they refuse you need to provide 3 refusal letters from other companies,then get back onto them for which they are then obliged to quote you.

The only problem is the quote could be any number you could think of

exactly, would nearly look like a phone humber haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

The 20v BZR engine is a serious piece of engineering, theres examples in ireland running 188WHP, thats from a 1.6 n/a engine on standard Irish fuel. The super strut suspension in the levin is also very good, but expensive to fix if somethin goes wrong. Lovely looking car aswell.

The best thing you can do is just transfer your insurance to the levin, keep it for the rest of your policy and see what they say when you go to renew.

oh and nismo, remember an A4 from the carpenterstown Rd?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i took a test drive in a levin when i was looking for my car and it was pretty good, handled nice and was good power for a 1.6 na but it just didn't feel fast for some reason, but if your coming from a 1.0 - 1.4 range up then it would do the job (i was after test driving a civic type r(ep3), integra type r(dc2) and prelude 2.2 vti).

was wondering about the exhausts myself, are they all big awkward looking exhausts on them? it always seems to be a big exhaust sticking out sideways would much prefer to see a nice inconspicuous exhaust on them cos they look class from the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 keefalmighty

NiSmO wrote: »

See if Britton will give you a go.
    http://www.brittoninsurance.com/
    Either that or take a look on 123.ie and see if anything appeals.

More power to ya with the Levin, hope you get sorted out mate.

Ah now c'mon, SON? im only 19!! that was my lil bro! and since when did garda start drivin audis? Ill PM you my estate.

• Advertisement

FOGOFUNK wrote:
    since when did garda start drivin audis?

Gardai have a number of unmarked Audis. If you're bored sometime- there are a couple parked outside HQ in the Phoenix Park.

Really? ae they for a special unit or anything?

FOGOFUNK wrote:
    Really? ae they for a special unit or anything?

I have no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 levin95

what insurance group are you with?? im 17 on prov driving a 20v levin (properly insured before you ask) no problems for me changing, few questions and i was driving that day :)

Out of interest, what is your premium?

tuxy wrote: »
    Out of interest, what is your premium?

amm its under €3000 anyway :) around €2700 i think...

im with quinn too! did you say you already had the car bought and your own car was sold??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

NiSmO wrote: »

quinn have gotten tight with insuring performance cars, they wont be interested unless you push them with the i've already bought the car excuse.

you can also get two rejections from other insurance companies and go to quinn and they legally have to quote you - this worked for me

Advertisement