Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consultative Panel Wishlist

Options
  • 20-11-2007 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

As title says.

What do you want to see realised from it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

From .22 up to 155 howitzer. Full auto and reloading. Im not a camo clad gun nut with gun posters on my bunker walls. Just id like to be able to fire these weapons and maybe own some of them.

Also like to be able to get a collectors licence.

In reality id like to be able to licence an air gun after the CJB!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Realistic aspirations please :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

fully automatic punt guns...(sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

A fixed price for all firearms
    eg: as long as i have a valid licence there is no extra cost for more guns
    and obviously seperate licences for rifles but same idea of more than one gun one licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭quackquackBOOM

all i want is a proper licence to carry like the safe pas card or an age card stating my photo ,age, and gun i am cleared to use or even somthing like a drivers licence with all catagories seperated and giving the caliber and numbers of the guns i use.because the ones we get are made from toilet paper and not the strong soft stuff

instead of searching for a month for my licence every time i go to buy cartridges,bullets ect and end up finding the wrong 1 ......:mad: ........from last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

In short; everything that's built and designed for civilian use should be licenceable to adults with clean records and of sound mental state.

This means hunting guns in any calibre ( from the humble single barrel shotgun to a .500 Nitro Express double rifle ) and target shooting guns in any calibre including ammunition ( target and hunting only : so no sabot's, tracer, tungsten core,.... ) and peripherals for same ( supressors, classic optical scope's ( no nightvision or thermal imaging ) , bipods,... ) .

As for minors; they should be able to use the same under supervision of the adult the gun is licensed to or a shooting coach affiliated to a club or range.

As for the actual licence; a shotgun, pistol or rifle certificate style UK wouldn't be a bad idea. Each at the cost of let's say 50 to 60 Euro a year/cert and 3 guns allowed on each.

Another thing that in my opinion should be obligational is liability insurance or membership of a compensation fund for using guns in the field.

As for security in my opinion a good gunsafe should suffise if absolutly necessary a house alarm on top is not too excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

i like the licence idea, i have plenty of membership cards from various things and my racing licence that cost virtualy nothing to make and is a proper laminated card. - in relation to this, just wondering, have the current form of licences been involved in much criminal use, e.g. forging etc..?

also, it would be nice to see some kind of consitency among the guards like the removal of the "idontlikethelookofthat" rule and the various attitudes towards certain guns depending on where you live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Two words: Consistency and Transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

*Education of the Gardai on firearm related matters.
    *Not being treated like a Criminal
    *Not having to Bargain or suck up to your local Super.
    *License the Man not the Gun ie no separate licenses for each firearm.
    *proper License like Swipe Card/Photo ID etc
    *Realistic Ammo Limits.
    *Clear written requirements of what is required to own firearms and accessories.
    *Not having to wait for months for something that takes 5 mins to do. (amendments)

It should not be up to Supers own personal whim to decide conditions
    on which they should grant you licenses/ammo/limits/type of firearm.

This whole bull you hear about military caliber restriction needs to be put to rest.

Put an end to unusual weird nonsense logic
    ie if looking to license a new firearm having to surrender two others.
    getting granted with permission for an ammo limit of 200 but not 500 etc etc etc

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

bullets wrote: »
    *Education of the Gardai on firearm related matters.
    *Not being treated like a Criminal
    *Not having to Bargain or suck up to your local Super.
    *License the Man not the Gun ie no separate licenses for each firearm.
    *proper License like Swipe Card/Photo ID etc
    *Realistic Ammo Limits.
    *Clear written requirements of what is required to own firearms and accessories.
    *Not having to wait for months for something that takes 5 mins to do. (amendments)

It should not be up to Supers own personal whim to decide conditions
    on which they should grant you licenses/ammo/limits/type of firearm.

This whole bull you hear about military caliber restriction needs to be put to rest.

Put an end to unusual weird nonsense logic
    ie if looking to license a new firearm having to surrender two others.
    getting granted with permission for an ammo limit of 200 but not 500 etc etc etc

~B

I haven't posted here in a while due to the complete bullsh1t politics that flys about in this forum but as its a fairly important topic, I agree with all that bullets has said plus the ability to reload ammunition. I know this already exists but its a bit of a dark art trying to get permission

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Single permit- like European pass

No-more- Idontlikethelookofthat-(a firearm is a firearm)

fair secure storage requirements

Central fulltime authority dealing with applications etc.

End of prejudice to military calibres (lets face it, what isn’t?? and what difference dose it make?? a firearm is a firearm)

All applications to be processed in a timely fashion.

Realistic ammo limits.

An end to "heel dragging" when you need more then one firearm type/Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

• All the rules out in the open
    • The gardai given training in firearms legislation and guidelines on applying it
    • One Person, One Licence
    • A better physical format for the licence so that it doesn't get raised eyebrows from customs and police throughout the EU
    • More sensible upper ammunition limits
    • Firearms licence fees used for something to do with firearms licencing or in sports grants for target shooters
    • Airguns made a seperate category from firearms and the licence muzzle energy limit raised to 7 joules from 1 joule
    • A standard for secure storage defined
    • "Target Shooting" legally defined
    • A legal mechanism to challange firearms act guidelines, restricted weapons list definitions and the like created

There are more, but that'll do for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MortgageMan

Wishing and hoping is all very good & Christmas is coming.

But now is the time to stop just wishing and start to plan. It would be great to see the shooting group representative members of the Consultative Panel arrange some meetings to discuss all these issues out in the open. The issues could then be addressed by the members through the Consultatve Panel.

Proposal

1. Local clubs should meet and nominate a person or small group to identify their worries, wishes, aims for the future of their sport, hunting whatever. Ie write up a mandate to present to their affiliated representative group.

2. The local clubs representative should then attend a full members meeting of their larger affiliated group and discuss the individual clubs mandate. A new mandate should then be compiled from this meeting to determine what is realistic and what should be put off for another day. The new mandate should then be presented back to the local clubs and majority vote should then carry either for or against. This may have to happen more than once to achieve majority support.

3. A meeting should then be called between all shooting groups who have been given a seat at the Consutative Panel table. This meeting should discuss only the mandate from the affiliated clubs and plan how best to address the items on the mandate and develop our sport for our benefit.

A clear mandate from members would now be established.

Once the mandate has been established it should be discussed as to which group or person can best articulate the mandate at the Consultative Panel meeting. As the meeting will encompass a large group of representatives, it really would be great if any inter group discussions or disputes took place before the Panel meeting to ensure that a strong united group met with the Dept of Justice and Garda representatives at the Panel meeting.

Is this just a Christmas wish or can we unity and fan the winds of change in our favour. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Proper licence that you can carry out in the field. Not the bit of ****e printed toilet paper we have now. One licence for all firearms - meaning printed on mine John Galway .22lr, .223rem, 12ga etc.

Moderators and night vision scope attachments to be available for pest control and health and safety purposes (which ARE proper reasons - and loose this crap about being told to buy a quieter rifle or hunt in daylight NONSENSE). Not this jokey bull**** of one super allowing them, and another not or giving you a hard time getting one.

CONSISTANCY.

Get treated like a person, not a criminal.

Reloading, to be made available in a working way, not only if you live inside Fort Knox with the Green Berets on red bull guarding it outside.

Porper ammo limits. We're not terrorists, I don't want to travel half the country everytime I need a few more rounds.

Proper training for Guards dealing with firearms.

Clear firearm guidelines and an end to these AWFUL grey areas (especially the definition of a "public place"), Black and white please, and when changed notice to be sent too all firearms owners. No, I don't mind paying for that.

Recognition that one rifle/shotgun will NOT do every job under the sun. That proper tools are needed to do certain jobs PROPERLY, humanely and safely. I have had POISON, illegal traps and other things suggested to me by people who should know better (not going any firther on that one so don't ask).

A bit of recognition that firearms holders are mostly to the letter law abiding folks who do not want to lose their firearms. In other words to stop being treated like "the enemy".

Rant & list over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

Put like a true poet JG!! im all for that...a little common sense would go a long way....its just unfortunate that common sense isnt all that common! :D

Advertisement