Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to movie to Ireland on grad scheme for accounting

• 20-11-2007 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

I am an American who is interesting in switching career fields and moving to Ireland. I am hoping to start the Professional Diploma in Accounting program at DCU in September 2008. I am wondering if anyone knows how easy it is for a non-EU national graduate of the course to secure a job in Ireland. Do the the training programs count for a green card, or can I do that as a student? Also, would it be better to find a job or go straight into the MBS in Accounting at DCU?
    I'm trying to explore my options and plan ahead. Any help will much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

From reading grad brochures this year it seems that the Big 4 firms have no problem taking on non-eu nationals. If you were to do the MBS afte the PDA you'll only have your FAE's to take in the 2nd year of your contract and not have to worry about exams in yr 1 and 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I am an American who is interesting in switching career fields and moving to Ireland. I am hoping to start the Professional Diploma in Accounting program at DCU in September 2008. I am wondering if anyone knows how easy it is for a non-EU national graduate of the course to secure a job in Ireland. Do the the training programs count for a green card, or can I do that as a student? Also, would it be better to find a job or go straight into the MBS in Accounting at DCU?
    I'm trying to explore my options and plan ahead. Any help will much appreciated. Thanks!

I'm currently in final year of Engineering in UCD. Did the milk round, I've gotten accepted by the 3 of the Big 4. They're going to pay for me to do my PDA. You don't really need to do the MBS... you would just be putting yourself in debt in my opinion.

DIT also do a PDA. They'll accept people from either DCU or DIT. DIT is in the city centre so it's handier. I'm gonna do the PDA in DIT because of that. I think it's cheaper to do the PDA in DIT too. Remember that the PDA is a conversion course, a diploma, your undergrad grades are more important as they show you can pass difficult exams. The PDA gets you exemptions from the professional exams. Once you qualify as a chartered accountant, where you did your PDA won't matter.

The pda will NOT grant you exemptions all the way up to your FAE's so I definitely think there is a case for doing the MBS.

I think she wants to do the PDA and an MBS... don't think both of them are needed. The Big 4 will hire you with a PDA. If you do the PDA you have to do CAP2 and FAEs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭shewasoctober

Thanks. Yeah, I was curious if both were needed. I have to do the PDA since I do not have a degree in accounting. Also, does anyone know anything about Griffith College. I was looking at their ACCA full-time program, but there isn't much information on it. I'm not sure about their reputation, nor do I know much about their accounting program.

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate the help. I really want to get into accounting, and I am so ready to get out of the States.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Yeah, I was curious if both were needed. I have to do the PDA since I do not have a degree in accounting. Also, does anyone know anything about Griffith College. I was looking at their ACCA full-time program, but there isn't much information on it. I'm not sure about their reputation, nor do I know much about their accounting program.

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate the help. I really want to get into accounting, and I am so ready to get out of the States.

Griffith College wouldn't be as good as DCU or DIT. You're probably better off doing your PDA and then working with one of the big 4 while you do your ACA as you'll gain great experience.

I'd be inclined to think that DCU would be a better choice for doing your PDA. Along with UCD and DIT all would offer a better learning environment in my opinion.

Basically your PDA will exempt you from Cap 1.
    Should you choose to do the MBS(Acc) or M.Acc you'll be exempt from Cap 2.
    You will then have a 3 yr training contract where you will do your FAE's in the 2nd year. Your 1st and 3rd year will be spent working.

If you just do the PDA you will do Cap 2 in your 1st/2nd year of your contract and your FAE's in your 2nd/3rd year of your contract.

My advice is do the PDA, apply for positions in the next milk round and go in to the interview knowing exactly the route you want to take to achieving your qualification. They look favourably upon this and should support you in the route you want to take next year.

Advertisement