Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP! Vista is driving me mad!!!

• 20-11-2007 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 1721 with vista home premium, purchased easy transfer cable to transfer all my document - it has somehow saved all my document in Adobe 8.1, of which I can not open any of my documents as the default message I receive says could not open because not supported file type! What?? - I was told if I upload Microsoft Word that this would correct the problem but no luck. I uploaded office XP professional and still can not open my document. Help! What can I do to get my documents back. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You will have to explain the problem more clearly. It's hard figure out where things are going wrong.

Moved from laptops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Hey Niamhog,

First things....deep breaths! :)

What type of files are they? (word docs, images, etc?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Sounds like it has saved all her files in Adobe .PDF format going on the original post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Niamhog

They were all originally word docs however they just changed to adobe dos following transfer to windows vista. Calmer now thanks:confused:
    The_Edge wrote: »
    Hey Niamhog,

First things....deep breaths! :)

What type of files are they? (word docs, images, etc?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Ok, set Vista to show file extensions like below:

vista_show_extensions.gif

Uncheck the box!

Now, check your files and ensure that the Word docs end with a .doc filename.

eg:

Niamhog's CV.doc

If that's ok, right click on one of your Word files and choose "Open With"
    You should have Word as an option....see if that works ok.

You can then maybe tick to "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" checkbox to make Vista always use Word:

image_thumb.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

laptops do not come with microsoft word

openoffice is a free alternative , install it and tick the box to allow it to open your word excel and powerpoint docs

alternatively rephrase the original problem

I think I know what this problem is. I once came across a problem where virtually everything, including exe files, were associated with Adobe Reader.

Here's a write up on the problem including a fix:

http://jtbworld.blogspot.com/2007/03/have-you-lost-your-exe-file-extension.html

But it could also simply be that .DOC files were selected to open in it, not uncommon.

Advertisement