Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Find a car help

Options
  • 20-11-2007 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Lads, can you help me, I need to find a decent car with three full seats in the back, had been looking at range rovers up to now but see they are a mofo to tax and insure. I need a 1.6 max and my budget is 6,000 euros.

I'm having a look at a piccaso at the weekend, but would like something a bit less frightening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭qballirl

Just a quick question, are you looking for a car, jeep or a suv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

TBH I think a car would only be suitable, and nothing over 1.6 for tax reasons. So that rules out the miti's although I like them. So does the tax man.

The Daewo is very scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

do you need room for 3 child seats, or just a big back seat?

Yeah 3 back seats for the kiddies.

Mimi MPV's are god because they have high rooofs. Most in your price range are French though. Is image or driving pleasure important to you?

• Advertisement

I think reliability, image, then driving pleasure, its not for me if for the mrs, shes very fussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

how old will you go,and any makes that are out. what about engine size? are you looking at a petrol? scenic in your bracket are a penny a dozen,find a good one and bargain very very hard....there is a lot of value for the buyer..good luck

Daewoo Tacuma do anything for you?

If looking at a Scenic, don't settle for anything less than one with sunroofs, aircon, alloys, rear electric windows and very low mileage in a good colour. There are simply loads out there, so you can afford to be very picky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I know its a bit of a left field choice but a fiat multipla does the job better than a scenic. 6 is better than 5 at the end of the day...

Thanks Bazz this one looks nice, what about mileage, i guess once it has the belts etc done it should be ok.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=770794

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is image or driving pleasure important to you?
    Classic

How much and how many miles will you be driving this car each week, because if you are going to be spending allot of time in this you should not have to settle with anything less than a good quality car.

Not a lot of time is going to be spent in this car. School runs and a bit of light driving. about 20kms a day in total.

qballirl wrote: »
    Classic

How much and how many miles will you be driving this car each week, because if you are going to be spending allot of time in this you should not have to settle with anything less than a good quality car.

Good driving experience/image and a "good quality car" don't necessarily mean the same thing. If you were in the OP's position, you would be trying to balance practicality and desirability. MPV's generally aren't as nice to drive as saloon cars, and Saloons generally aren't as practical as MPV's.
    If the OP wants a car that's thrilling to drive, then that rules out a lot of family cars.

But I'm sure you knew that already.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Good driving experience/image and a "good quality car" don't necessarily mean the same thing. If you were in the OP's position, you would be trying to balance practicality and desirability. MPV's generally aren't as nice to drive as saloon cars, and Saloons generally aren't as practical as MPV's.
    If the OP wants a car that's thrilling to drive, then that rules out a lot of family cars.

But I'm sure you knew that already.

I did indeed just wanted to find out if it was going to be used over long distance and regular driving. I don't have a family myself but i cannot see why you would sacrifice good quality for a little bit more space. I understand if you are bringing kids all over the place with you but i just dont think its fairly economical to drop the kids off for school and drive around in an SUV on your own for the day. Thats all i wanted to know.

Thanks for the help lads, will be checking out the scenic.

I don't see how a Scenic is less frightening than a Picasso though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

[QUOTE=JJJJNR;54468962, had been looking at range rovers up to now and my budget is 6,000 euros..[/QUOTE]

I don't know what kind of Range Rovers you were looking at with a budget of €6k

A 95 - 97 Disco' can be got for that and a lot less, still like the idea but it would have to be with the TD5 diesel engine, might look to the uk if the picasso/Scenic option dosent work out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement