Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing the hot and cold water taps with a single mixer tap

Options
  • 20-11-2007 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

I have a two separate taps in the sink. My kids have problem of using them in this winter. Is it possible to replace them with a single mixer tap? I don't want to replace whole sink.
    If it's possible to replace them, does any one know where I can get the mixer tap?

If this question is answered already, could someone please give me the link? I searched in the DIY thread but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

hi konline

It should be possible but without taking the sink out its gonna be a pain!!!!

Trying to get the nuts of and on behind the sink is hard.

The other problem is getting a 2-into-1 mixer tap. Most mixer taps use just the one hole sink. You could get a bath mixer tap

like this
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/BATH-MIXER-TAP-TAPS-BATHROOM-6106B_W0QQitemZ260184766749QQihZ016QQcategoryZ42347QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If I was doing it I would

1 Turn the water off. (Hot and cold)
    2 Disconnect the pipe connections to the tap using that special plumbing tool for removing nuts "homebase have them for 10 euros"
    3 undo the connections that grip the sink to the counter
    3a take out the sink and turn upside down
    4 replace the taps with a mixer
    then put back the sink etc etc

regards

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭konline

Hi Garyh3,
    thank you very much for giving the clear instructions. The ebay link looks good. I checked my taps, the center line distance from one tap to another tap is 200mm, where as all the taps have standard distance of 180mm. I will go to B&Q and see if they have the taps I am looking for.

Does any one where I can get mixer tap with center line distance of 200mm?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Do you have a heat merchants or maybe a kitchen design place near you.

I doubt if the local DIY shop will stock such a tap.

When I did mine (util room) I just bought the whole lot from 1 ebay seller (Sink and mixer tap + pipes for 100 pounds (UK)) Saved a lot of hasstle.

Good luck

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

B&Q also have pretty cheap stainless sinks...

Advertisement