Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper gear change mechanism for cheapo bike

Options
  • 20-11-2007 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

I bought an ultra-cheap folding bike on eBay. Absolutely wonderful for my very awkward commute.
    After about two months' use, the very tacky gearshifter has given up the ghost. It's a twist-grip affair, but with no index and, basically, it's seized.
    I rather optimistically took it apart this evening, and am hopelessly clueless as to how to get it back together. Even if I do, I don't think it'll be any improvement on its original state.
    The solution now is to get a twist-grip gear changer. Can such be bought on its own, and can anyone recommend a (Dublin) bicycle mechanic who might take a reasonable view of my predicament.
    I don't think an entire new gear system is going to work, due to the odd length of cables and, maybe, a special dérailleur arm.
    Any advice much appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Yes, you'll probably be able to get a suitable shifter. How many gears does the bike have. Do you know the brand of the rear mech?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Thanks Morgan.
    The bike has just the five sprockets on the rear. The make at the rear is difficult to make out... I think it's not actually real lettering, but it looks something like CIIONG.
    The bike is Chinese, so this part probably is too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Chances are it's a Shimano-compatible 5-speed freewheel. The good news is that you can use 5 or 6 speed shifters with these (same indexing). Here are a couple:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-SJSC-Sun-Race-Twist-Grip-RIGHT-only-5-speed-10891.htm
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Shimano-Shimano-Tourney-RS43-RevoShifter--6-speed--Right-only-15169.htm

However, if the cassette doesn't have the standard spacing the gears won't shift properly with the above shifters. In that case you'd be better off with a non-indexed shifter.

I'd recommend dropping it into a shop and leaving the trial and error up to them. The Square Wheel in Temple Bar would be a good bet.

Thanks Morgan. That's exactly the kind of knowledge I was after.
    The original shifter is non-indexed, so that's probably the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

youl get a grip shift for round 7yo yos.

• Advertisement

Left it into Square Wheels today... no fuss. Hopefully back in business next week.

Just a quick follow-up on this... they put a second-hand Shimano shifter on it. Great job - much better than the original!
    Thanks for pointing the way towards the solution!

Advertisement