Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes on trains

Options
  • 20-11-2007 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭

Iarnrod Eireann and Fáilte Ireland have a promotion for a 10% discount on bicycle hire of IE customers at a selection of towns.

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/bicycle_hire_information.asp

Please note that the station in Skibbereen closed approximately 40 years ago and the nearest station is Millstreet (not to be mistaken with the ever evasive Mill Street), a mere 79km away (approximately 16 hours walk, not allowing for rest periods).

For hardier souls who like better(!) train services, one can use Cork Kent, a mere 83km away (approximately 17 hours walk, not allowing for rest periods or pulled muscles).

The last alternative station is Killarney, a fine scenic hike (save for some dark tunnels) of 111km across some mountains, but as you are pushing 22 hours walking (not allowing for rest periods), you are best advised to have you heart attack / hernia / hypothermia midway, so as to break the journey.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Well that's not very useful. What a shame when this other great news about the walking cycling initiative has just been announced.

They should have an entire carriage on every train for prams, wheelchairs bikes; at nominal or no cost. It's supposed to be a public service anyway rather than a moneyspinning company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

one word...ireland.
    what more do you expect a real public transport system, this country is a joke.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Victor got slagged off in C&T for the same post.
    I agree that listing Skibbereen for Cork is bizarre, but Killarney is served by a rental location about 200m from the station.

Victor - have you emailed Irish Rail?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

So how do you get your bike on a train??
    I know they don't allow you to get your bike on a dart (which in almost everyone's opinion is stupid! It might make sense during rush hour times. But they should let people get their bikes on the dart during the normal times. They allow it in NY...).
    Can you get your bike on any other trains that go to dublin??

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most intercity trains can carry bikes, in the guards van, usually next to the engine.

Commuter train and DARTs can't carry bikes other than folding bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Would it be possible for me to put my bike on a train at the adamstown station and get it into city then? (as the train stops only for a few minutes at the station)
    And would i have to pay extra for getting the bike on...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Currently bikes are only allowed on intercity trains and there is a little extra cost.
    They should deffinitely be allowed to take on Dart and Commuters on non-rush hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Would it be possible for me to put my bike on a train at the adamstown station and get it into city then? (as the train stops only for a few minutes at the station)
    And would i have to pay extra for getting the bike on...?

If it's a fold up bike and it's in a cover then you can take it on. If it's any other type of bike, you won't get it on.

Advertisement