Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tapping noise in car!

Options
  • 21-11-2007 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭

My car (01 Corsa 42k on clock) is currently making a kind of tapping noise or it could be described as a clicking noise coming from the engine when it revs while driving
    It happened before but that was because it was low on oil so I filled it up and the noise went,it came back a 2nd time and same problem,and now its back for the 3rd time but its not oil now....what could it be,any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As a rule that suggets hydraulic tappets which can be caused by low oil pressure or blocked oil ways, or worn lifters. Does the car have a pressure gauge? Does it have hydraulic lifters? Which engine is it?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

God all the questions,I don't have a clue about cars but this problem was rectified when the car was serviced in March time so not that long ago really.I think they replaced some oil filter or something
    It's a 1.0l,does that make a difference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As Mike said, most likely bunged up hydraulic lifters or low oil pressure. Get it checked out and ensure that an oil pressure check is done too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is it an Opel/Vauxhall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Its sounds like its the Timing Chain. When the oil runs low its loosens the tension on the chain and you will never get full tension back again.

It should cost approx €600 to fit a new timing chain kit inc Labour but would recommend you get an Opel Experienced mechanic to have a look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

These engine, and all engines, should be checked for oil regularly and they HAVE to have oil changes on schedule otherwise they develop timing chain problems as HealyC has suggested !

Its possible that an engine flush and oil change, using high quality oil, will solve it but the damhes is most likely done!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zzantara

Why not take all the guesswork out of it and get a mechanic to look at it??
    The others are right about the timing chain,if these cars are not serviced regularly the thick oil puts a strain on the timing chain and stretches it, this then gets noisy and the car starts to missfire,again get someone to look at it,an Opel Dealer won't charge for just listening to it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

probably a drive gone ..check if it is when u turn the wheel left or right .. if it is a clicking sound

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

yo mate if youre getting the timing chain done
    head up to beacon opel I was getting a quote of under 300 euro(class I know) so itd be well worth youre while if you were based in dublin

now I cant vouch for the quality of theyre work but...........300euro! in an opel dealer

a lot of vauxhall corsas were recalled for theyre timing chains because they went so much, most went under waranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

I though opel corsas had timing belts??
    And nissan micras had timing chains?? - thats what I was told before by a mechanic, he recommended the micra over the corsa, saying that timing chains never (rarely) broke or needed to be replaced??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zzantara

Opel Corsas definitely have a timing chain,it's similar to a bike chain so when it stretches it makes a rattling noise,this is a regular problem with a lot of cars that are not serviced and the oil pump puts pressure on the chain once the oil gets thick ang glue like,it effects cars with low mileage particularly as their owners are under the mistaken idea that because they are doing low mileage that their is no need to get their car serviced however most oils need to be changed once a year regardless of mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 OPEL PARTS GREE

What is the type of your engine???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I was looking at a 1.0l 3-cyl Opel Corsa only yesterday that was making that loud tapping noise... It happened to be in the garage of a mechanic friend of mine. He said it's a loose timing chain, and that all the 1.0's suffer from it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Does the Corsa have a timing chain - Are you sure?

All 1L Corsa's have 3 cyl engines and tick tick tick alot, like a sowing machine.

I like a quiet car. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The 3 cylinder engines have a chain certainly.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

This wasn't a tick tick. This was like someone was hitting the block (quite quickly) with a hammer. Very noticeable even with the bonnet down.

I don't think the 1.0 is an intereference engine, never thought to ask, but the mechanic was happy enough to give the car back to the owner still making noise (car was in for something else). He didn't seem at all concerned about it. Said to me chain would need to be done eventually.

Advertisement