Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

racism in dublin

Options
  • 21-11-2007 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

ive heard dublin can be racist, i havent lived there yet, but will be moving their soon and my boyf who is of chinese descent will be joining me....from what ive been told by a colleague he may get a rough time..is this true??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

speedy2007 wrote: »
    ive heard dublin can be racist, i havent lived there yet, but will be moving their soon and my boyf who is of chinese descent will be joining me....from what ive been told by a colleague he may get a rough time..is this true??

I don't think so, unless he runs into the other ~135,000 people from China already living in the country and starts a fight with them. (http://www.marketing.ie/apr06/article1.htm).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's true, we culchies are treated as second class citizens
    But we're slowly taking over the place :p

Your boyfriend won't encounter racism. The Asian community is so large that people are used to it.
    Noone knows for sure how large. There seems to be an big issue with people getting student visas for schools that only exist on paper. Once they have their visa, they stay to work and not study.

He is more likely to encounter problems in a rural area than Dublin, he'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

micmclo wrote: »
    It's true, we culchies are treated as second class citizens

Not as much as a Dub would down the country!!

What micmclo said is true, your boyfriend is likely to come accross more racism in rural areas. Dublin is pretty mulitcultured now. You will get the odd scumbag looking to blame someone on his woes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lightening wrote: »
    You will get the odd scumbag looking to blame someone on his woes.

And thats about the extent of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Mairt wrote: »
    And thats about the extent of it.

Pretty much.

Actually I quite like the fact that Dublin has become more multicultural. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

In my experience anti-asian sentiment is rampant. Other posters must/may be living in shangri-la

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'll add that I've never seen it towards the Asian community. I've even heard the taxi drivers make a point of excusing the Asian community from their ranting racist diatribe. However, not being part of the community I may be missing out on some elements - perhaps tompopo can elighten the rest of us?

tampopo wrote: »
    Other posters must/may be living in shangri-la

No, in Dublin here. Had an Asian girlfriend, have an Asian cousin. What have you come across tampo?

As I said you will get the odd scumbag with an ill educated attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

In my experience anti-asian sentiment is rampant. Other posters must/may be living in shangri-la

Ah come on. Apart from the local chipper once in a blue moon most of us love a Chinese :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭speedy2007

thanks for the replies, makes me feel somewhat better tho i would like to hear more from tampopo and his experiences.
    My boyf wouldnt be used to any kind of racism, and i would really hate it to happen to him here in my country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 cranmore

doubt he'll encounter as much racism as a bogger, unless he has an english accent!

or a leitrim accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

It would be interesting to hear your experiences.

In general, Dublin/Irish people are quite racist, but are normally respectful to Asians and Poles due to the image they have of being uber-hard workers.

It would be interesting to hear your experiences.

In general, Dublin/Irish people are quite racist, but are normally respectful to Asians and Poles due to the image they have of being uber-hard workers.

Asian wife : constant anti-asian abuse. It gets her down a lot. It's hard to keep her spirits up. So, yeah, I would agree Dublin/Irishpeople are quite racist. And no, I don't think it's the odd skanger.

micmlo's "your boyfriend won't encounter racism" I take it your tongue is firmly in your mouth!
    I disagree with your assertion "He is more likely to encounter problems in a rural area than Dublin, he'll be fine."

Mairt, I like your posts generally, but disagree with you agreeing to the poster that says it's the odd scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Lets be honest you will encounter some from the type who wear a tracksuit and shoplift razors from boots but they are as likely to abuse a teenage girl, a businessman or a priest. They are just horrible people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Your boyfriend won't encounter racism.

Now this is a silly comment. I think Dublin has come a long way in the intermingling department, but it's remarkably naive to believe racism against Asians has disappeared entirely.

I'd agree with the theory that Asians would be less likely to experience racism than, say, Africans, but there are still plenty of people who will treat an Asian differently to an Irish person (or even just another white person).
    Asian wife : constant anti-asian abuse
    And no, I don't think it's the odd skanger.

I'd also be interested in hearing more detail, if you're willing to give it. I'm not so naive that I'd imagine racism is dead and buried, but I'm surprised to hear your wife is the victim of such regular abuse. I have several Asian (mostly Korean and Japanese) friends in Dublin, and while some people might show a lack of patience due to language difficulties, I haven't heard of them being involved in many outright racist confrontations.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You will find racism anywhere outside your own sphere. I have encountered it myself (am white) abroad in Asia and Middle East.

Btw, the most racist guy I know is Chinese. He absolutely hates black people.

Now this is a silly comment. I think Dublin has come a long way in the intermingling department, but it's remarkably naive to believe racism against Asians has disappeared entirely.

I'd agree with the theory that Asians would be less likely to experience racism than, say, Africans, but there are still plenty of people who will treat an Asian differently to an Irish person (or even just another white person).

I'd also be interested in hearing more detail, if you're willing to give it. I'm not so naive that I'd imagine racism is dead and buried, but I'm surprised to hear your wife is the victim of such regular abuse. I have several Asian (mostly Korean and Japanese) friends in Dublin, and while some people might show a lack of patience due to language difficulties, I haven't heard of them being involved in many outright racist confrontations.

monkeytennis, glad to hear I am not alone in reading micmclo's post as...naive at best.
    As for the abuse: shouting, verbal abuse, stone throwing. Perhaps, maybe, the Japanese are too polite to criticise Irish people in front of an Irish person!!! If I get on the topic, there is no end to stories from her friends' experiences!
    Nowadays, I avoid the topic where possible. It used to be that it was a great topic of conversation, one of our most enjoyable in the beginning, y'know, swapping and exchanging stories...how, over here you say "thank you" to the bus driver as you get off the bus, and over there...the bus driver says "thank you" to YOU!.

I must learn how to multi quote...

I agree with Biko, if you go outside your own sphere you will find racism. I encountered it in Asia...and in America, but one time made me smile. I was walking in Oakland and one lad among a group of black homeless fellas shouted across to me as I walked along with my shirt off.

"Don't mean to be rude man, but you need some SUN!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

over here you say "thank you" to the bus driver as you get off the bus, and over there...the bus driver says "thank you" to YOU!.

Don't know about you, but here, I say thank you to the bus driver, and the bus driver says thank you back.

I think on a whole, we are welcoming, maybe a little too much at times. A little too eager to please and ask questions, that sometimes can be seen as racism.

Sure you get the odd bòllox, but where doesn't...

And as for getting jobs or being discriminated in work; on the current floor of my building (about 30 people) there are people from:
    India, China, Czech Republic, Scotland, Canada, England, France, Donegal (although I'm not too sure about the last one, cuz noone understands them ;))

shouting, verbal abuse, stone throwing.

Is this constant? Do you mind me asking what part of Dublin do you live in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Asian wife : constant anti-asian abuse. It gets her down a lot. It's hard to keep her spirits up. So, yeah, I would agree Dublin/Irishpeople are quite racist. And no, I don't think it's the odd skanger.

Genuinely sorry to hear this. I had thought that things had much improved, as it has been a long time since I heard or saw any explicitly racist behaviour. In my own experience in Dublin I have always been more aware of anti-African sentiment (against Nigerians particularly, though often enough nationalities are confused by complainants), much less so toward any Asian or Eastern European people. Was also of the impression that Dublin has not succumbed to the hugely anti-muslim sentiments that are more visible in other European countries.

For my own part, I love the rich mix of nationalities living in Dublin; it has given the city a vibrancy and buzz that didn't exist here 20 years ago.

Hope things improve Tampopo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Your boyfriend won't encounter racism. The Asian community is so large that people are used to it.
    I wouldn't be so sure as this. In fact your boyfriend, if he is here for any reasonable length of time, almost certainly will encounter some form of racism. However, it will most likely just be a random, meaningless, isolated incdent or name calling that, while irritating, can just be brushed off.
    I think on a whole, we are welcoming, maybe a little too much at times. A little too eager to please and ask questions, that sometimes can be seen as racism.
    I think it's the opposite that can be the problem. Sometimes people can be more reserved here in Dublin and don't tend to make conversation with strangers as much as one might encounter elsewhere. Of course this is only a form of potentially perceived racism and I think that might be more of a Dublin issue rather than the rest of the country.

Advertisement