Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€5000 and ready to blow!

Options
  • 21-11-2007 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

I know, i know people are probably annoyed half to death about what to buy threads...But if you feel willing to spread your motor wisdom today:

What car would you go for with 5 grand and no more than 1.4?

Some of my previous options:
    Ford Focus 1.4 (nice cars all round i think)

Alpha 147 1.6 (Engine too big and would cost me too much i think to run..not sure about alphas either)

Opel Astra 1.2-1.4 3 Door (nice and reliable and economical)

Any advice thanks alot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I'm sure VW Golf will be thrown into the mix but how about a Seat Leon 1.4 16v? I saw one for €4750 ('00)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

caesar wrote: »
    I'm sure VW Golf will be thrown into the mix

Why do you think that, have you seen the price of second hand golfs?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

tuxy wrote: »
    Why do you think that, have you seen the price of second hand golfs?

Eh year isn't mentioned so you'd easily pick up a MKIV 1.4 for €5000. Obviously some of the ones on carzone are ridiculously overpriced. I think Golfs are slightly overrated and tbh I wouldn't go near a 1.4 golf, at least with a leon your not paying as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭nellocon

I dont think id consider a golf either as they are way over priced for what they are...
    I do seem to like Seat Leons but i just feel for the same money i could get a focus which im a bit more inclined to..

What are yer' thoughts on a opel astra 1.2...there are some nice ones around i think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

caesar wrote: »
    Eh year isn't mentioned so you'd easily pick up a MKIV 1.4 for €5000. Obviously some of the ones on carzone are ridiculously overpriced. I think Golfs are slightly overrated and tbh I wouldn't go near a 1.4 golf, at least with a leon your not paying as much.

And its a totally underpowered wagon
    The Hatchback focus has great handling and alot more power than the Golf.
    I'd stay away from the Opel
    The Leon is nice enough and much cheaper than the Golf.
    Skoda Felicia would be grand as well.

Would you consider the 1.9 TDI engine ? Cheap insurance but the road tax is on the expensive side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement